Learning to fly on PC

Did everyone reconfigure there keys?

What did you reconfigure them too if you did. I'm having troubles.

Andrew

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:34:24 +1000, "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf>
wrote:

>Did everyone reconfigure there keys?

No, I use a joypad for flying instead.

alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
> Did everyone reconfigure there keys?
>
> What did you reconfigure them too if you did. I'm having troubles.

5-Button Mouse:

Thumb: steer up
Ring finger: steer down

All other keys default.

Passed the learning to fly in the second attempt.

alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
> Did everyone reconfigure there keys?

I configured them as follows:

W, A, S, D: as normal
Cursor up/down: forward/backwards
Cursor left/right: spin left/right

Ideally I would have used the numeric keypad instead of the cursor keys (as
I did in Vice City) but as discussed elsewhere this isn't possible in GTA:SA
because it won't let you assign anything to the Num5 key.

--

(O) e n o n e

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 07:32:07 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 13:34:24 +1000, "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf>
>wrote:
>
>>Did everyone reconfigure there keys?
>
>No, I use a joypad for flying instead.

Well I dont have a joystick.

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:23:28 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
>> Did everyone reconfigure there keys?
>
>I configured them as follows:
>
> W, A, S, D: as normal
> Cursor up/down: forward/backwards
> Cursor left/right: spin left/right
>
>Ideally I would have used the numeric keypad instead of the cursor keys (as
>I did in Vice City) but as discussed elsewhere this isn't possible in GTA:SA
>because it won't let you assign anything to the Num5 key.

I'm giving up its impossible.

alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
> I'm giving up its impossible.

Which test are you struggling with?

--

(O) e n o n e

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 15:19:09 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
>> I'm giving up its impossible.
>
>Which test are you struggling with?

The 3rd one, circling the airstrip. i just cant do it.

strider

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> proclaimed...

> The 3rd one, circling the airstrip. i just cant do it.

LOL, you'll love the one after that, circle the airfield and land :)

I found the trick was to accelerate only when not turning. Turning and
accelerating made the plane unstable.

--
"Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

www.stri.tk - site and blog

In article <MPG.1d30cf5c52afa8cf98aca6@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
Strider <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote:
>"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> proclaimed...
>
>> The 3rd one, circling the airstrip. i just cant do it.
>
>LOL, you'll love the one after that, circle the airfield and land :)
>
>I found the trick was to accelerate only when not turning. Turning and
>accelerating made the plane unstable.

If you want all gold for the Hunter, I'm afraid you're going to have to get
used to doing it with the throttle held wide-open for the whole flight. Good
luck. ;-)

I spent an afternoon doing "circle airstrip and land" again and again, until
I got gold. It is worth it though - Brown Thunder is much more fun than it
was in VC.

I haven't got that far yet on the PC, so I loaded a 100% game save and
had a go at "circle and land" and got 82% (88s, 100% position, 0%
damage) - what score do you need to get for bronze? I think it might
not be telling me what medal I got because the player that did it
already got gold. I just did the helicopter "destroy targets" and got
64% as well.

If that's the case and 85% is good enough then I can probably do the
flying school for you. Email me the game save (snarks at gmail dot com)
and I'll try and get it back to you probably by the end of the week.

Phil Hibbs.

Which one are you having difficulty with at the moment? Circle and
land?

Phil Hibbs

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 00:25:41 +1000, "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf>
wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:23:28 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
>>> Did everyone reconfigure there keys?
>>
>>I configured them as follows:
>>
>> W, A, S, D: as normal
>> Cursor up/down: forward/backwards
>> Cursor left/right: spin left/right
>>
>>Ideally I would have used the numeric keypad instead of the cursor keys (as
>>I did in Vice City) but as discussed elsewhere this isn't possible in GTA:SA
>>because it won't let you assign anything to the Num5 key.
>

>I'm giving up its impossible.

If it were impossible, there wouldn't be loads of people who've done
it! The trick is to be gentle. Once you get up to the right height,
lay off the throttle, then when steering, just tap the keys, don't
hold them down. If you hold them down you'll just overdo each turn,
then overdo trying to correct it and then you'll plummet and crash.

If you were to somehow skip learning to fly, you'll just have trouble
with the missions that require you to fly. You actually have to
*learn* to fly.

andyt

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:46:09 +1000, "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf>
wrote:

>does someone want to do this for me?

"If you were to somehow skip learning to fly, you'll just have trouble
with the missions that require you to fly. You actually have to
*learn* to fly."

andyt

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 13:18:24 GMT, Andy Turner
<andyt@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 22:46:09 +1000, "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf>
>wrote:
>
>>does someone want to do this for me?
>
>"If you were to somehow skip learning to fly, you'll just have trouble
>with the missions that require you to fly. You actually have to
>*learn* to fly."
>

>andyt

I can fly. I just cant fly the damn thing through those coronas like I
have too.

On 3 Jul 2005 06:32:34 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

>I haven't got that far yet on the PC, so I loaded a 100% game save and
>had a go at "circle and land" and got 82% (88s, 100% position, 0%
>damage) - what score do you need to get for bronze? I think it might
>not be telling me what medal I got because the player that did it
>already got gold. I just did the helicopter "destroy targets" and got
>64% as well.
>
>If that's the case and 85% is good enough then I can probably do the
>flying school for you. Email me the game save (snarks at gmail dot com)
>and I'll try and get it back to you probably by the end of the week.
>
>Phil Hibbs.

Now thats annoying I finally did it only it wasnt fast enough.

alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
> ok i passed that one, onto the next

Yeah -- there you go! :) Not impossible after all. And now you can have the
satisfaction of being better than the game is. :)

--

(O) e n o n e

On 3 Jul 2005 08:56:28 -0700, "PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

>Which one are you having difficulty with at the moment? Circle and
>land?
>
>Phil Hibbs

I didnt that one too!

Awesome stuff. But yea the circling was a bit hard.

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:11:14 GMT, "Oenone" <oenone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>alksjdf@aslkdjf.com wrote:
>> ok i passed that one, onto the next
>
>Yeah -- there you go! :) Not impossible after all. And now you can have the
>satisfaction of being better than the game is. :)

Heh, yeah well it didnt feel good when I didnt have a good enough
time. But I passed the landing one quickly so its all good.

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> wrote in message
> ok i passed that one, onto the next

I've managed to get gold or silver on all the flight school on PC. My secret
was laying off the W key unless I was level and aiming directly at the next
corona, otherwise I was tapping the other controls and giving them a second
or two to have the desired effect.

I still ended up fighting the controls (overcorrecting - trying to sort
something out that was already sorting itself out) but eventually I managed
to get through.

I flew the Dakota (can't remember its in-game name) perfectly from LS to the
disused airfield, did a parallel pass along the runway, brought it in and
landed. No arseing about, just a textbook flight.

V satisfying.

TRENDING THREADS