Incorrect amount of video RAM displayed after TNT2 M64 BIO..

Hi

I have an nVidia TNT2 M64 card that came with my Dell system. It has
no TV-out and has 32.0 MB of RAM on-board. The original BIOS version
was 2.05.13.03 and I decided to try and upgrade it. I managed to
locate the latest version for this card, 3.05.00.10, and checked my
card would support it by first loading the new BIOS image using
VGABIOS.EXE.

This worked out OK, so I backed-up the original BIOS and re-started in
DOS mode to flash the video card's BIOS. I did this using NVFlash and
the procedure went OK. The problem is that, on re-starting the
computer, the POST message stated that the card had 16.0 MB of RAM.
That's incorrect! I know it has 32.0 MB because that's what was
reported with the original BIOS.

In the end, I had to re-flash the card with the original BIOS because
the card was unusable under Windows 98 SE.

Why is the new BIOS mis-reporting the amount of RAM on the card? I
also tried flashing with versions 2.05.19.03 and 2.05.20.02 but the
same thing happened. How can I get a newer version BIOS to work with
this card? I'd love to get version 3.05.00.10 working because, when
loaded under VGABIOS.EXE, I noticed quite an improvement when playing
certain games.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful for some help.

Regards

Daniel Lam

daniel_fs_lam@hotmail.com (Daniel Lam) wrote in message news:<2ea609d.0405141720.474dfcf4@posting.google.com>...
> Hi
>
> I have an nVidia TNT2 M64 card that came with my Dell system. It has
> no TV-out and has 32.0 MB of RAM on-board. The original BIOS version
> was 2.05.13.03 and I decided to try and upgrade it. I managed to
> locate the latest version for this card, 3.05.00.10, and checked my
> card would support it by first loading the new BIOS image using
> VGABIOS.EXE.
>
> This worked out OK, so I backed-up the original BIOS and re-started in
> DOS mode to flash the video card's BIOS. I did this using NVFlash and
> the procedure went OK. The problem is that, on re-starting the
> computer, the POST message stated that the card had 16.0 MB of RAM.
> That's incorrect! I know it has 32.0 MB because that's what was
> reported with the original BIOS.
>
> In the end, I had to re-flash the card with the original BIOS because
> the card was unusable under Windows 98 SE.
>
> Why is the new BIOS mis-reporting the amount of RAM on the card? I
> also tried flashing with versions 2.05.19.03 and 2.05.20.02 but the
> same thing happened. How can I get a newer version BIOS to work with
> this card? I'd love to get version 3.05.00.10 working because, when
> loaded under VGABIOS.EXE, I noticed quite an improvement when playing
> certain games.
>
> If anyone has any ideas I'd be grateful for some help.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel Lam

Maybe its an updated bios for... 16Mb cards....

Bios Editors probably can change some things in a downloaded bios...
but if it can change memory size...

Hi Dark Avenger

Hmm... I'm not sure whether or not the BIOS upgrade was specific to
the amount of RAM on the card. As far as I'm aware, the BIOS upgrade
is an nVidia Reference BIOS that is compatible (supposedly) with the
nVidia TNT2 M64. I'm assuming it's compatible with the 16 MB and 32 MB
versions of the card since nothing was mentioned about RAM amounts.

If it is the case that these BIOS upgrades *are* indeed for the 16 MB
version only of the TNT2 M64, then how come I can't find any for the
32 MB version of the card?

Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. The card is an AGP 4x card - I
mention this because I think there might be a PCI version as well, but
mine is an AGP card. Also, the AGP aperture is (correctly) set to 64
MB in the system BIOS.

Regards

Daniel

daniel_fs_lam@hotmail.com (Daniel Lam) wrote in message news:<2ea609d.0405151617.3de3b46d@posting.google.com>...
> Hi Dark Avenger
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure whether or not the BIOS upgrade was specific to
> the amount of RAM on the card. As far as I'm aware, the BIOS upgrade
> is an nVidia Reference BIOS that is compatible (supposedly) with the
> nVidia TNT2 M64. I'm assuming it's compatible with the 16 MB and 32 MB
> versions of the card since nothing was mentioned about RAM amounts.
>
> If it is the case that these BIOS upgrades *are* indeed for the 16 MB
> version only of the TNT2 M64, then how come I can't find any for the
> 32 MB version of the card?
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention one thing. The card is an AGP 4x card - I
> mention this because I think there might be a PCI version as well, but
> mine is an AGP card. Also, the AGP aperture is (correctly) set to 64
> MB in the system BIOS.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel

The art of finding the right bios for your card.. card modders (
generally found with atilovers ) always hunt for that right bios to
make their card mod into a higher model!

And trust me... most it takes 3 bios-es to find the right one!

OK... has *anyone* managed to successfully flash their 32 MB TNT2 M64
card with a BIOS higher than the original version (version
2.05.13.03)? Don't forget - I'm referring to the AGP, no TV-out
version of the card. If anyone *has* had some success, please put up a
post.

Regards

Daniel