Overclocking :(

Ryan

i have my 5700 ultra oced to 550/993 and i am wondering, since i dont
have much money, is this a good idea. the gpu rarely gets over 55 C but
i dont have the money to replace it right now and dont want to shorten
the life of my gpu. also how long will ocing shorten my gpus life?

its hard to say how long it will last overclocked. and your temps are probly
while monitoring with nothing but the desk top going. in a new 3d game like
far cry i bet its getting a lot hatter.
if it playes your game good with out over clocking why OC it?

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> wrote in message
> i have my 5700 ultra oced to 550/993 and i am wondering, since i dont
> have much money, is this a good idea. the gpu rarely gets over 55 C but
> i dont have the money to replace it right now and dont want to shorten
> the life of my gpu. also how long will ocing shorten my gpus life?

> the gpu rarely gets over 55 C but
> i dont have the money to replace it right now and dont want to shorten
> the life of my gpu.

I wouldn't run any card/CPU at less than full speed out of
fear that it might fail. Especially since it's under warranty.

Jeff B

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

thats a hefty overclock - on older games (without shaders) you
probably find it okay but a game using dx shaders like far cry
the gpu in particular will be driven very hard. are you getting any lockups
or texture glitches in games ? gpu temps should correspond to cpu temps -
mid 40s is good and 55c is where you start to be concerned. I would reduce
speeds so that temps vary between 50 to 55 max on a Summer day.