Monitor won't always turn on

Hi,
The problem I have is with 2 different pc's. One is a Gateway G-6 350
the other is ? But they both do the same thing. Sometimes the monitor will
show the graphics and other times it won't. The monitors I have tried all
work fine with my new pc. So my question is what is causing it to work only
sometimes on the other PC's ?

Thanks for any help with this annoying problem
Ray
11 answers Last reply
More about monitor turn

    "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > The problem I have is with 2 different pc's. One is a Gateway G-6 350
    > the other is ? But they both do the same thing. Sometimes the monitor will
    > show the graphics and other times it won't. The monitors I have tried all
    > work fine with my new pc. So my question is what is causing it to work
    only
    > sometimes on the other PC's ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help with this annoying problem
    > Ray

    Potential causes of these problems are, but not limited to:

    1. Failing system power supply.
    2. Failing system motherboard
    3. Failing or failed motherboard battery, usually 3v Lithium C2032
    4. Graphics driver not set to operate at frequency or resolution required by
    monitor.
    5. Failing graphics card
    6. Other unspecified Windows software issues
    7. Unreliable monitor cable

    A G6-350 is definitely an aging computer that has a graphics card with more
    limited capabilities than modern-day graphics cards.

    Your best option is to replace the suspect components one at a time... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 03:52:39 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> The problem I have is with 2 different pc's. One is a Gateway G-6 350
    >> the other is ? But they both do the same thing. Sometimes the monitor will
    >> show the graphics and other times it won't. The monitors I have tried all
    >> work fine with my new pc. So my question is what is causing it to work
    >only
    >> sometimes on the other PC's ?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help with this annoying problem
    >> Ray

    Thank You Ben
    On the Gateway I suspected the power supply on the other I don't know. it's
    got a pcchips mb M747 with on board graphics that I can't get a driver for
    it seems.

    Thanks again
    Ray
    > Potential causes of these problems are, but not limited to:
    >
    > 1. Failing system power supply.
    > 2. Failing system motherboard
    > 3. Failing or failed motherboard battery, usually 3v Lithium C2032
    > 4. Graphics driver not set to operate at frequency or resolution required
    by
    > monitor.
    > 5. Failing graphics card
    > 6. Other unspecified Windows software issues
    > 7. Unreliable monitor cable
    >
    > A G6-350 is definitely an aging computer that has a graphics card with
    more
    > limited capabilities than modern-day graphics cards.
    >
    > Your best option is to replace the suspect components one at a time... Ben
    Myers

    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 03:52:39 GMT, "WackoRay"
    <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi,
    > >> The problem I have is with 2 different pc's. One is a Gateway G-6
    350
    > >> the other is ? But they both do the same thing. Sometimes the monitor
    will
    > >> show the graphics and other times it won't. The monitors I have tried
    all
    > >> work fine with my new pc. So my question is what is causing it to work
    > >only
    > >> sometimes on the other PC's ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help with this annoying problem
    > >> Ray

    Ray,

    The PCChips M747 board and the typical chassis in which it is installed are
    low-quality products, to put it kindly. You might try the PCChips web site for
    drivers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard chipset, that
    mfr's web site is also a good place to look. Better yet, replace the
    motherboard with one of higher quality, Intel, Asus, and SuperMicro come to
    mind, but the latter costs a small fortune... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thank You Ben
    >On the Gateway I suspected the power supply on the other I don't know. it's
    >got a pcchips mb M747 with on board graphics that I can't get a driver for
    >it seems.
    >
    >Thanks again
    >Ray
    >> Potential causes of these problems are, but not limited to:
    >>
    >> 1. Failing system power supply.
    >> 2. Failing system motherboard
    >> 3. Failing or failed motherboard battery, usually 3v Lithium C2032
    >> 4. Graphics driver not set to operate at frequency or resolution required
    >by
    >> monitor.
    >> 5. Failing graphics card
    >> 6. Other unspecified Windows software issues
    >> 7. Unreliable monitor cable
    >>
    >> A G6-350 is definitely an aging computer that has a graphics card with
    >more
    >> limited capabilities than modern-day graphics cards.
    >>
    >> Your best option is to replace the suspect components one at a time... Ben
    >Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 03:52:39 GMT, "WackoRay"
    ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >350
    >will
    >all
    >> >only

    Thanks Again Ben, The Pc chips is one someone gave to a fellow co worker & I
    am trying to fix for him. When I dismanteled it I could see what you meant.
    the case is the lightest gauge metal they could have used and the power
    supply looks like someone made it in their cellar.

    Ray
    > Ray,
    >
    > The PCChips M747 board and the typical chassis in which it is installed
    are
    > low-quality products, to put it kindly. You might try the PCChips web
    site for
    > drivers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard
    chipset, that
    > mfr's web site is also a good place to look. Better yet, replace the
    > motherboard with one of higher quality, Intel, Asus, and SuperMicro come
    > mind, but the latter costs a small fortune... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT, "WackoRay"
    <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thank You Ben
    > >On the Gateway I suspected the power supply on the other I don't know.
    it's
    > >got a pcchips mb M747 with on board graphics that I can't get a driver
    for
    > >it seems.
    > >
    > >Thanks again
    > >Ray
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Potential causes of these problems are, but not limited to:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Failing system power supply.
    > >> 2. Failing system motherboard
    > >> 3. Failing or failed motherboard battery, usually 3v Lithium C2032
    > >> 4. Graphics driver not set to operate at frequency or resolution
    required
    > >by
    > >> monitor.
    > >> 5. Failing graphics card
    > >> 6. Other unspecified Windows software issues
    > >> 7. Unreliable monitor cable
    > >>
    > >> A G6-350 is definitely an aging computer that has a graphics card with
    > >more
    > >> limited capabilities than modern-day graphics cards.
    > >>
    > >> Your best option is to replace the suspect components one at a time...
    Ben
    > >Myers
    > >>
    > >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 03:52:39 GMT, "WackoRay"
    > ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>

    G-6
    > >350
    > >will
    > >all

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Could be the cheap power supply or could be the equally cheap motherboard. No
    way to tell except to replace them with fully working units, and it may not be
    worth doing so. A Power On Self Test (POST) card would give some indication of
    the cause of failure before attemping to replace anything.

    The PC Chips computer falls into the Greek Gift category, sort of like the
    original Trojan horse. I've replaced a lot of failed PC Chips boards for
    clients, using Intel or Asus boards, after which the computers kept and still
    keep on ticking for a long time.

    When the second-(third-?)tier distributor Tech Data went belly up two or three
    years ago, I went to the liquidation auction for their local operation in
    Northboro, MA. I got excited when I won a pallet of maybe 40 or so bare bones
    microATX computer cases with motherboards, floppies and CD-ROM drives. Then I
    found out they were PC Chips boards and began testing them. Lots of dead
    boards, which is why they were neatly palletized and shrink wrapped. Tech Data
    must have taken a beating on them. Serves them right for selling cheap junk. I
    got my money back plus a little more by selling working bare bones setups to a
    local dealer who knew exactly what he was getting and didn't really care. He is
    now out of business... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:19:02 GMT, "WackoRay" <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Again Ben, The Pc chips is one someone gave to a fellow co worker & I
    >am trying to fix for him. When I dismanteled it I could see what you meant.
    >the case is the lightest gauge metal they could have used and the power
    >supply looks like someone made it in their cellar.
    >
    >Ray
    >> Ray,
    >>
    >> The PCChips M747 board and the typical chassis in which it is installed
    >are
    >> low-quality products, to put it kindly. You might try the PCChips web
    >site for
    >> drivers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard
    >chipset, that
    >> mfr's web site is also a good place to look. Better yet, replace the
    >> motherboard with one of higher quality, Intel, Asus, and SuperMicro come
    >> mind, but the latter costs a small fortune... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT, "WackoRay"
    ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thank You Ben
    >> >On the Gateway I suspected the power supply on the other I don't know.
    >it's
    >> >got a pcchips mb M747 with on board graphics that I can't get a driver
    >for
    >> >it seems.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks again
    >> >Ray
    >> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

    >required
    >> >by

    >> >more

    >Ben
    >> >Myers

    >> ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>

    >G-6
    >> >350
    >monitor
    >> >will
    >tried
    >> >all
    >work

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    If you and your co-worker are not too far away from Harvard, MA (30 mi NW of
    Boston, 20 mi NE of Worcester), it would make sense to sell you a replacement
    for the PC Chips garbage, stripping the system of what little is useful on it to
    add to my spare parts collection. Shipping costs would probably make this
    option unrealistic. Lotsa inexpensive decent systems are around... Ben

    wrote:

    >Thanks Again Ben, The Pc chips is one someone gave to a fellow co worker & I
    >am trying to fix for him. When I dismanteled it I could see what you meant.
    >the case is the lightest gauge metal they could have used and the power
    >supply looks like someone made it in their cellar.
    >
    >Ray
    >> Ray,
    >>
    >> The PCChips M747 board and the typical chassis in which it is installed
    >are
    >> low-quality products, to put it kindly. You might try the PCChips web
    >site for
    >> drivers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard
    >chipset, that
    >> mfr's web site is also a good place to look. Better yet, replace the
    >> motherboard with one of higher quality, Intel, Asus, and SuperMicro come
    >> mind, but the latter costs a small fortune... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT, "WackoRay"
    ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Thank You Ben
    >> >On the Gateway I suspected the power supply on the other I don't know.
    >it's
    >> >got a pcchips mb M747 with on board graphics that I can't get a driver
    >for
    >> >it seems.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks again
    >> >Ray
    >> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message

    >required
    >> >by

    >> >more

    >Ben
    >> >Myers

    >> ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>

    >G-6
    >> >350
    >monitor
    >> >will
    >tried
    >> >all
    >work

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Back in the AT supply days, I built a power supply test box out of a
    junked Mot 2 way radio test set (not a service monitor, this was a
    glorified breakout box with a meter and a speaker) with loads and jacks
    for each line that needed loading. It proved to be the only way to
    test AT supplies thoroughly. I've never looked at the ATX standard to
    see what it would take to build one for ATX supplies,
    A motherboard is really not a test fixture.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Yes, but an otherwise disposable (old, obsolete, etc.) mobo plus a POST card is
    not too shabby for testing power supplies.

    Go for the ATX-12V standard to incorporate P4 & higher end AMD boards.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 27 Dec 2004 13:45:29 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Back in the AT supply days, I built a power supply test box out of a
    >junked Mot 2 way radio test set (not a service monitor, this was a
    >glorified breakout box with a meter and a speaker) with loads and jacks
    >for each line that needed loading. It proved to be the only way to
    >test AT supplies thoroughly. I've never looked at the ATX standard to
    >see what it would take to build one for ATX supplies,
    >A motherboard is really not a test fixture.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ben, I don't think there is anything worth salvaging on it. it's a very
    basic system without any cards other than the modem card.I gave him one of
    my g-6 gateway's (I had 2) and I'm just trying to get the video drivers to
    install in his. I did change the battery on his pc chips mb and it seems to
    be working for now.

    Ray

    > If you and your co-worker are not too far away from Harvard, MA (30 mi NW
    of
    > Boston, 20 mi NE of Worcester), it would make sense to sell you a
    replacement
    > for the PC Chips garbage, stripping the system of what little is useful on
    it to
    > add to my spare parts collection. Shipping costs would probably make this
    > option unrealistic. Lotsa inexpensive decent systems are around... Ben
    >
    > On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 21:19:02 GMT, "WackoRay"
    <ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks Again Ben, The Pc chips is one someone gave to a fellow co worker
    & I
    > >am trying to fix for him. When I dismanteled it I could see what you
    meant.
    > >the case is the lightest gauge metal they could have used and the power
    > >supply looks like someone made it in their cellar.
    > >
    > >Ray
    > ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    > >> Ray,
    > >>
    > >> The PCChips M747 board and the typical chassis in which it is installed
    > >are
    > >> low-quality products, to put it kindly. You might try the PCChips web
    > >site for
    > >> drivers. If you can determine the manufacturer of the motherboard
    > >chipset, that
    > >> mfr's web site is also a good place to look. Better yet, replace the
    > >> motherboard with one of higher quality, Intel, Asus, and SuperMicro
    come
    > >> mind, but the latter costs a small fortune... Ben Myers
    > >>
    > >> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 18:46:27 GMT, "WackoRay"
    > ><ray_wacko_foti@NOSPAMhotmail.com>

    > >it's
    > >for

    > >required

    > >Ben

    > >G-6
    > >monitor
    > >tried
    > >work

  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Ray,

    Right. The PCChips so-called dual (Socket 370 and Slot 1) motherboards are
    highly integrated with video & audio on the motherboard and often Ethernet
    and/or modem via a proprietary card... Ben Myers

Gateway Monitors Graphics Computers