XFX GeForce FX 5200 get detected as GeForce4 MX 420

Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.

The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.

I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
video card, there are no other compatibility issues.

Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.

Install the motherboard chipset drivers so as to have the AGP slot drivers
installed.

"Rahul Kuchhal" <kuchhal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
> GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
> Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.
>
> The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
> latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
> settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
> AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.
>
> I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
> correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
> would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
> video card, there are no other compatibility issues.
>
> Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Tried uninstalling Display drivers in Add/Remove dialogue, rebooting,
stopping the found new hardware wizard on reboot.Then using FX5200 cd for
installing drivers?

"Rahul Kuchhal" <kuchhal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
> GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
> Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.
>
> The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
> latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
> settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
> AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.
>
> I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
> correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
> would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
> video card, there are no other compatibility issues.
>
> Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.

I tried that several times. Infact last time I uninstalled all the
video as well as motherboard drivers. Booted Windows in safe mode,
deleted all the lingering files and then installed the drivers again.
But no luck!

"anon" <anon@spoof.com> wrote in message news:<MYnqc.141$gB5.136@newsfe3-win.server.ntli.net>...
> Tried uninstalling Display drivers in Add/Remove dialogue, rebooting,
> stopping the found new hardware wizard on reboot.Then using FX5200 cd for
> installing drivers?
>
> "Rahul Kuchhal" <kuchhal@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone!, I recently assembled a computer on my own. I used a
> > GeForce FX 5200 video card from XFX and a Shuttle A35 Motherboard with
> > Athlon 2800 CPU. I installed Windows 2000 with latest service pack.
> >
> > The problem is when I install the video driver from NVIDIA (even the
> > latest one) my video card shows up as GeForce4 MX 420 in windows
> > settings with a speed of 4x AGP. My motherboard says it supports 8x
> > AGP and GeForce FX 5200 of course support 8x AGP.
> >
> > I have tried many things but it is just not able to figure out the
> > correct card. Are there any BIOS settings that I will have to tweak? I
> > would have thought as long as AGP 8x is supported by motherboard and
> > video card, there are no other compatibility issues.
> >
> > Any hints/ideas will be very appreciated.

anybody

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2002

Sounds like a bad card maybe?

On 18 May 2004 11:07:47 -0700, kuchhal@yahoo.com (Rahul Kuchhal)
wrote:

>I tried that several times. Infact last time I uninstalled all the
>video as well as motherboard drivers. Booted Windows in safe mode,
>deleted all the lingering files and then installed the drivers again.
>But no luck!

Download AIDA32 - and confirm your hardware items.

www.aida32.hu - But the developer has sold his tech to a company
(basiclly) but the HOME version is still available for free here:
http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1