Good, Fast SD (Secure Digital) Card

April 7, 2004 10:02:49 PM

I'm looking for a 512 or 1024 SD Card in the UK. Can anyone recommend me a
card that is cheap but also fast - I'm used Compact Flash cards before in
digital cameras and seen what a differnce a fast card can make - is there
the same sort of distinction with SD cards?

This may be a bit of an idiot question, but can one install programs to SD
cards as well as storing data such as music and maps?

Thanks, Tom
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 10:02:50 PM

On the question about installing programs on the SD card, the unfortunate
answer is "it depends..."

It depends on how the program is written to access the RAM in the Pocket PC.
Some will work fine from the storage card, others demand to be installed in
system memory. In many cases when you try to install to a Storage Card you
will get a message not to use that location.

My best advice is; try it on the SD card then check the program. If it is
in the least bit "flaky" then remove it and reinstall in main memory.

John Stenstrom
Richmond, VA

"Tom Page" <tompagenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o pNSqIMHEHA.3576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I'm looking for a 512 or 1024 SD Card in the UK. Can anyone recommend me a
> card that is cheap but also fast - I'm used Compact Flash cards before in
> digital cameras and seen what a differnce a fast card can make - is there
> the same sort of distinction with SD cards?
>
> This may be a bit of an idiot question, but can one install programs to SD
> cards as well as storing data such as music and maps?
>
> Thanks, Tom

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 11:49:53 PM

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 7:02:49 -1000, Tom Page wrote
(in message <OpNSqIMHEHA.3576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>):

> I'm looking for a 512 or 1024 SD Card in the UK. Can anyone recommend me a
> card that is cheap but also fast - I'm used Compact Flash cards before in
> digital cameras and seen what a differnce a fast card can make - is there
> the same sort of distinction with SD cards?

Yes, some SD cards are speedier than other. But most of the
times, these speedier cards (like the SanDisk Ultra II) are more
expensive than regular cards. All I can tell you is that I've
used a Panasonic SD card in my devices for quite some time,
without any problems. Actually, I've almost never heard about
problems with SD cards, with the exception of SanDisk cards.
There used to be some reports by people where the latter didn't
go nicely with their Pocket PCs. Others use them without a
problem. This is all highly unscientific, and just based on my
memory. :)

> This may be a bit of an idiot question, but can one install programs to SD
> cards as well as storing data such as music and maps?

No idiot question at all. Yes, you can install programs on a
storage card as well. I wouldn't use Today Screen plugins or
programs mapped to hardware buttons from the storage card
though, since it takes a little time before the storage card is
initialized after startup. In case of doubt, contact the
developer of the application.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices [http://www.microsoft.com/mobile]

"Tom Page" <tompagenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o pNSqIMHEHA.3576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I'm looking for a 512 or 1024 SD Card in the UK. Can anyone recommend me a
> card that is cheap but also fast - I'm used Compact Flash cards before in
> digital cameras and seen what a differnce a fast card can make - is there
> the same sort of distinction with SD cards?
>
> This may be a bit of an idiot question, but can one install programs to SD
> cards as well as storing data such as music and maps?
>
> Thanks, Tom

Most programs seem to allow installation on a memory card. You can either
ask the publisher/writer (look at the website faq's) or try it. If it
doesn't work then put it into main memory.
Anonymous
April 8, 2004 8:15:14 PM

Cheers Marlof - your answer was very helpful

Tom

<Marlof Bregonje>; "MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"

!