Time to ditch Sygate firewall?

Last response: in Networking
August 17, 2005 11:06:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Symantec to buy Sygate

By Ellen Messmer, Network World
http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID...

Symantec is set to acquire Sygate Technologies, which makes network
access-control and endpoint-protection policy-enforcement products.

Symantec said it initially will keep offering Sygate's line of
policy-enforcement products - which can be used in conjunction with
network equipment from Alcatel, Enterasys, Juniper and Nortel, among
others - to control network access based on policy decisions which may
include anti-virus or patch updates. In January, Sygate joined Cisco's
network admission control programme to support the Cisco-led method of
desktop policy enforcement.

Symantec intends to integrate Sygate Enterprise Protection 5.0, the
most recent version of Sygate's flapship software, into Symantec's
current endpoint-protection products, which include Symantec Client
Security, after the acquisition of Sygate has been completed.

"This will be the primary product area in which we intend to include
SEP 5.0," said Brian Foster, Symantec's senior director of product,
noting that after combining SEP 5.0 and Symantec Client Security, SEP
5.0 will eventually be phased out.

Foster said SEP 5.0 brings a mix of additional host
intrusion-prevention and host control capabilities to the Symantec
Client Security desktop software, which includes personal firewall,
anti-virus and anti-spyware support.

California.-based Sygate, a privately held company, was originally
founded under the name Sybergen Technologies by Chief Technology
Officer Chris Guo with help from venture capital firms that included
Trident Capital, Trinity Ventures and MVC Capital. The company name was
changed to Sygate five years ago, at the time John DeSantis joined as
CEO and president.

Sygate's customer base of 400 enterprises includes Prudential Financial
and Diebold. No specific consolidation plans concerning staff have been
announced and the value of the deal was undisclosed.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:59:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

On 17 Aug 2005 in
salwithed@yahoo.com wrote:

> Symantec to buy Sygate
>
> By Ellen Messmer, Network World
> http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID...
>
> Symantec is set to acquire Sygate Technologies, which makes network
> access-control and endpoint-protection policy-enforcement products.
>
> Symantec said it initially will keep offering Sygate's line of
> policy-enforcement products - which can be used in conjunction with
> network equipment from Alcatel, Enterasys, Juniper and Nortel, among
> others - to control network access based on policy decisions which may
> include anti-virus or patch updates. In January, Sygate joined Cisco's
> network admission control programme to support the Cisco-led method of
> desktop policy enforcement.
>
> Symantec intends to integrate Sygate Enterprise Protection 5.0, the
> most recent version of Sygate's flapship software, into Symantec's
> current endpoint-protection products, which include Symantec Client
> Security, after the acquisition of Sygate has been completed.
>
> "This will be the primary product area in which we intend to include
> SEP 5.0," said Brian Foster, Symantec's senior director of product,
> noting that after combining SEP 5.0 and Symantec Client Security, SEP
> 5.0 will eventually be phased out.
>
> Foster said SEP 5.0 brings a mix of additional host
> intrusion-prevention and host control capabilities to the Symantec
> Client Security desktop software, which includes personal firewall,
> anti-virus and anti-spyware support.
>
> California.-based Sygate, a privately held company, was originally
> founded under the name Sybergen Technologies by Chief Technology
> Officer Chris Guo with help from venture capital firms that included
> Trident Capital, Trinity Ventures and MVC Capital. The company name was
> changed to Sygate five years ago, at the time John DeSantis joined as
> CEO and president.
>
> Sygate's customer base of 400 enterprises includes Prudential Financial
> and Diebold. No specific consolidation plans concerning staff have been
> announced and the value of the deal was undisclosed.

So what happens to Sygate personal firewall? free and pro editions?

I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 9:46:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

> So what happens to Sygate personal firewall? free and pro editions?
>
> I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP

I whole-heartedly agree. I think Norton, and the rest of their line,
is a waste of time and money. I just want a firewall where checking
"Remember My Decision" actually works. And SPF Pro is so configurable
too. I actually know what I am doing, so why do I need a colorful
interface with big ugly buttons and a section for games? Plain,
simple. I just wish it had extended ACL configuration. Regulating
destination traffic doesn't always cut it, security-wise.

I guess I'm just used to Cisco command line function.
August 18, 2005 4:01:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <Xns96B56FD4732A3891563@127.0.0.1>, ny152@nopsam.invalid
says...
> On 17 Aug 2005 in
> salwithed@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Symantec to buy Sygate
> >
> > By Ellen Messmer, Network World
> > http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID...
> >
> > Symantec is set to acquire Sygate Technologies, which makes network
> > access-control and endpoint-protection policy-enforcement products.
> >
> > Symantec said it initially will keep offering Sygate's line of
> > policy-enforcement products - which can be used in conjunction with
> > network equipment from Alcatel, Enterasys, Juniper and Nortel, among
> > others - to control network access based on policy decisions which may
> > include anti-virus or patch updates. In January, Sygate joined Cisco's
> > network admission control programme to support the Cisco-led method of
> > desktop policy enforcement.
> >
> > Symantec intends to integrate Sygate Enterprise Protection 5.0, the
> > most recent version of Sygate's flapship software, into Symantec's
> > current endpoint-protection products, which include Symantec Client
> > Security, after the acquisition of Sygate has been completed.
> >
> > "This will be the primary product area in which we intend to include
> > SEP 5.0," said Brian Foster, Symantec's senior director of product,
> > noting that after combining SEP 5.0 and Symantec Client Security, SEP
> > 5.0 will eventually be phased out.
> >
> > Foster said SEP 5.0 brings a mix of additional host
> > intrusion-prevention and host control capabilities to the Symantec
> > Client Security desktop software, which includes personal firewall,
> > anti-virus and anti-spyware support.
> >
> > California.-based Sygate, a privately held company, was originally
> > founded under the name Sybergen Technologies by Chief Technology
> > Officer Chris Guo with help from venture capital firms that included
> > Trident Capital, Trinity Ventures and MVC Capital. The company name was
> > changed to Sygate five years ago, at the time John DeSantis joined as
> > CEO and president.
> >
> > Sygate's customer base of 400 enterprises includes Prudential Financial
> > and Diebold. No specific consolidation plans concerning staff have been
> > announced and the value of the deal was undisclosed.
> >

> So what happens to Sygate personal firewall? free and pro editions?
>
> I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP

Sad news... If Symantec does anything to it it'll probably be terrible.
If I were a Sygate user, I think I'd just keep using 5.6 free or 5.5 Pro
until there was some reason to change..

--
Kerodo
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

> > I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> > something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP
>
> Sad news... If Symantec does anything to it it'll probably be terrible.
> If I were a Sygate user, I think I'd just keep using 5.6 free or 5.5 Pro
> until there was some reason to change..

I agree with both of you. I predict that Sygate v5.5 will become
just as "everlasting" and popular as Kerio v2.1.5. (never tried
SPF 5.6)
Casey
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 1:51:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d6e85d48be464229896b3@news.east.earthlink.net>,
casey@notspecified.net says...

> > > I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> > > something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP
> >
> > Sad news... If Symantec does anything to it it'll probably be terrible.
> > If I were a Sygate user, I think I'd just keep using 5.6 free or 5.5 Pro
> > until there was some reason to change..
> >

> I agree with both of you. I predict that Sygate v5.5 will become
> just as "everlasting" and popular as Kerio v2.1.5. (never tried
> SPF 5.6)
> Casey

I always used 5.5 Pro myself, so I don't know what was changed in the
5.6 Free update.

You're right Casey, 5.5 will probably live on for some time as a
classic.

--
Kerodo
August 19, 2005 6:20:48 AM

"Joe Fox" <ny152@nopsam.invalid> wrote in message
> On 17 Aug 2005 in
> salwithed@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Symantec to buy Sygate
>>
>> By Ellen Messmer, Network World
>> http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?NewsID...
>>
>> Symantec is set to acquire Sygate Technologies, which makes network
>> access-control and endpoint-protection policy-enforcement products.
>>
>> Symantec said it initially will keep offering Sygate's line of
>> policy-enforcement products - which can be used in conjunction with
>> network equipment from Alcatel, Enterasys, Juniper and Nortel, among
>> others - to control network access based on policy decisions which may
>> include anti-virus or patch updates. In January, Sygate joined Cisco's
>> network admission control programme to support the Cisco-led method of
>> desktop policy enforcement.
>>
>> Symantec intends to integrate Sygate Enterprise Protection 5.0, the
>> most recent version of Sygate's flapship software, into Symantec's
>> current endpoint-protection products, which include Symantec Client
>> Security, after the acquisition of Sygate has been completed.
>>
>> "This will be the primary product area in which we intend to include
>> SEP 5.0," said Brian Foster, Symantec's senior director of product,
>> noting that after combining SEP 5.0 and Symantec Client Security, SEP
>> 5.0 will eventually be phased out.
>>
>> Foster said SEP 5.0 brings a mix of additional host
>> intrusion-prevention and host control capabilities to the Symantec
>> Client Security desktop software, which includes personal firewall,
>> anti-virus and anti-spyware support.
>>
>> California.-based Sygate, a privately held company, was originally
>> founded under the name Sybergen Technologies by Chief Technology
>> Officer Chris Guo with help from venture capital firms that included
>> Trident Capital, Trinity Ventures and MVC Capital. The company name was
>> changed to Sygate five years ago, at the time John DeSantis joined as
>> CEO and president.
>>
>> Sygate's customer base of 400 enterprises includes Prudential Financial
>> and Diebold. No specific consolidation plans concerning staff have been
>> announced and the value of the deal was undisclosed.
>>

> So what happens to Sygate personal firewall? free and pro editions?
>
> I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP

You can get Sygate firewall in System suite by Vcom. thats the only place I
have seen it.

Bob
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 6:44:06 AM

In Message-ID:<MPG.1d6e85d48be464229896b3@news.east.earthlink.net>
posted on Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:48:32 GMT, Casey Klc wrote: Begin

>> > I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
>> > something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP
>>
>> Sad news... If Symantec does anything to it it'll probably be terrible.
>> If I were a Sygate user, I think I'd just keep using 5.6 free or 5.5 Pro
>> until there was some reason to change..
>>

>I agree with both of you. I predict that Sygate v5.5 will become
>just as "everlasting" and popular as Kerio v2.1.5. (never tried
>SPF 5.6)
>Casey

Trouble with Sygate is the msi installer that requires you to have IE
installed, kind of illogical to require the most gracious malware host
to date on board before you can install something to secure it.
Why not just get legacy ZA v4.5 and not be bothered by IE dependent
installers?

--

Bart
Anonymous

>Casey
>
> Trouble with Sygate is the msi installer that requires you to have IE
> installed, kind of illogical to require the most gracious malware host
> to date on board before you can install something to secure it.
> Why not just get legacy ZA v4.5 and not be bothered by IE dependent
> installers?

Bart, that is something of a catch-22. I run Win98 and Bill Whats-his
name's IE is so integrated in that I can't sensibly remove it :(
I have never used IE or any other MS application. I run Opera/
Thunderbird/Gravity and SYGATE Pro 5.5. Sygate has served me well
for about 4-yrs without any problems.
You might want to get a copy of Sygate before it gets "improved with
the bloats".
Casey
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 4:17:45 AM

In Message-ID:<MPG.1d700c717f36cc2e9896b4@news.east.earthlink.net>
posted on Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:35:12 GMT, Casey Klc wrote: Begin

>>Casey
>>
>> Trouble with Sygate is the msi installer that requires you to have IE
>> installed, kind of illogical to require the most gracious malware host
>> to date on board before you can install something to secure it.
>> Why not just get legacy ZA v4.5 and not be bothered by IE dependent
>> installers?
>>

>Bart, that is something of a catch-22. I run Win98 and Bill Whats-his
>name's IE is so integrated in that I can't sensibly remove it :(
>I have never used IE or any other MS application. I run Opera/
>Thunderbird/Gravity and SYGATE Pro 5.5. Sygate has served me well
>for about 4-yrs without any problems.
>You might want to get a copy of Sygate before it gets "improved with
>the bloats".
>Casey

I too run Win98SE here (with IE removed, even its HTML engine)
also on board:
Opera v6.06 build 1145
Forté Agent v1.93/32.576
Mailwasher Pro v4.1.9
Last viral incident (my own greedy fault) - Babylonia in 1999

--

Bart
August 20, 2005 7:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d6e85d48be464229896b3@news.east.earthlink.net>,
casey@notspecified.net says...

> > > I actually like using this thing, it's going to be difficult switching to
> > > something inferior. imo, everything is inferior to SPFP
> >
> > Sad news... If Symantec does anything to it it'll probably be terrible.
> > If I were a Sygate user, I think I'd just keep using 5.6 free or 5.5 Pro
> > until there was some reason to change..
> >

> I agree with both of you. I predict that Sygate v5.5 will become
> just as "everlasting" and popular as Kerio v2.1.5. (never tried
> SPF 5.6)
> Casey

But if there are no signature updates available in the future, what
does that mean for the security of continuing to use Sygate?

AT the moment I use Sygate Pro. There is an offer on their site to
renew subscriptions for a year. Would it be worth it or would I
find myself with a Symantec-bloated firewall called "Sygate"?

Louise
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:27:54 PM

louise <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> AT the moment I use Sygate Pro. There is an offer on their site to
> renew subscriptions for a year. Would it be worth it or would I
> find myself with a Symantec-bloated firewall called "Sygate"?

Sygate "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open
windows.

This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Sygate show here,
that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dllproc/base/in...

For a software, which should enhance security, this design flow means the
declaration of bankruptcy.

Yours,
VB.
deutschen Schlafzimmern passiert".
Harald Schmidt zum "Weltjugendtag"
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:16:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Well I own PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x. It worked great. Then PowerQuest
got bought out by Symantec. They won't let me buy an upgrade to Ghost 9.0,
which is built on top of Drive Image technology. I have to buy Ghost 9.0 as
if I were a totally new customer. As a result, I'm thinking of switching to
Acronis True Image 8.0. My guess is that Symantec won't honor ownership of
Sygate from its previous manufacturer. Yet another reason to hate Symantec.
I quit using Norton AV when it got super bloated and they institued their
copy protection that made my machine's CPU run at 100%. Of course they said
I was the only one with that problem. Soon after, news of this problem was
all over the 'net. So I was definitely not the only one. I really wish
Symantec would stop eating the competition ... that is, destroying perfectly
good software products.

My advice is do not buy the updates, and start evaluating other firewalls so
when you have to switch, you have a viable alternative to Symantec.

Regards,

Margaret

"louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> AT the moment I use Sygate Pro. There is an offer on their site to
> renew subscriptions for a year. Would it be worth it or would I
> find myself with a Symantec-bloated firewall called "Sygate"?
>
> Louise
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:46:07 AM

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:16:20 -0400, "Margaret Wilson"
<twokatmew@nospam.msn.com> wrote:

>Well I own PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x. It worked great. Then PowerQuest
>got bought out by Symantec.

Interesting aside. I also have Drive Image 7.x running under XP/SP1.
It seems to work fine for me with the 7.0.3 fix/update from Symantec.
Have you found a reason to stop using it?

thx, Bradley
___________________________________
SemiPelagian SHIFT-2 gmail STOP com
do the obvious to reply
August 22, 2005 7:32:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <deajtn0mta@news2.newsguy.com>, twokatmew@nospam.msn.com
says...
> Well I own PowerQuest's Drive Image 7.x. It worked great. Then PowerQuest
> got bought out by Symantec. They won't let me buy an upgrade to Ghost 9.0,
> which is built on top of Drive Image technology. I have to buy Ghost 9.0 as
> if I were a totally new customer. As a result, I'm thinking of switching to
> Acronis True Image 8.0. My guess is that Symantec won't honor ownership of
> Sygate from its previous manufacturer. Yet another reason to hate Symantec.
> I quit using Norton AV when it got super bloated and they institued their
> copy protection that made my machine's CPU run at 100%. Of course they said
> I was the only one with that problem. Soon after, news of this problem was
> all over the 'net. So I was definitely not the only one. I really wish
> Symantec would stop eating the competition ... that is, destroying perfectly
> good software products.
>
> My advice is do not buy the updates, and start evaluating other firewalls so
> when you have to switch, you have a viable alternative to Symantec.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> "louise" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > AT the moment I use Sygate Pro. There is an offer on their site to
> > renew subscriptions for a year. Would it be worth it or would I
> > find myself with a Symantec-bloated firewall called "Sygate"?
> >
> > Louise

I have come to a similar conclusion.

What alternate firewalls are you considering?

BTW, I too left NAV because of resource bloat. I now have NOD32
and am extremely pleased. Relatively no drain on system resources
and daily automatic updating. Email tech support is coherent and
speedy.

Louise
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 7:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've been very
pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I did the firewall
eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is Black ICE. I know some
people say it's not a "real" firewall because it doesn't scan outgoing
traffic. Well, if those people actually read the manual, they'd know
there's a switch you can use in firewall.ini to have it scan outgoing
traffic. Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT firewall,
however, so that provides some additional protection (again, not against
outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found BlackICE, my fav was Tiny
Firewall, which I believe became Kerio, which I understand is now no longer
being updated IIRC.....

> I have come to a similar conclusion.
>
> What alternate firewalls are you considering?
>
> BTW, I too left NAV because of resource bloat. I now have NOD32
> and am extremely pleased. Relatively no drain on system resources
> and daily automatic updating. Email tech support is coherent and
> speedy.
>
> Louise
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:21:10 PM

Margaret Wilson wrote:

> Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've
> been very pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I
> did the firewall eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is
> Black ICE. I know some people say it's not a "real" firewall
> because it doesn't scan outgoing traffic. Well, if those people
> actually read the manual, they'd know there's a switch you can use
> in firewall.ini to have it scan outgoing traffic.

If you can edit a text file to turn it on, malware can edit the text
file to turn it off. (Never used BlackIce for this reason.)

> Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
> simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT
> firewall, however, so that provides some additional protection
> (again, not against outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found
> BlackICE, my fav was Tiny Firewall, which I believe became Kerio,
> which I understand is now no longer being updated IIRC.....

Kerio is alive and well. And a very good firewall. Free for home use.
Yes, it monitors both inbound and outbound traffic.
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Margaret Wilson wrote:
> Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've been very
> pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I did the firewall
> eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is Black ICE. I know some
> people say it's not a "real" firewall because it doesn't scan outgoing
> traffic. Well, if those people actually read the manual, they'd know
> there's a switch you can use in firewall.ini to have it scan outgoing
> traffic. Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
> simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT firewall,
> however, so that provides some additional protection (again, not against
> outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found BlackICE, my fav was Tiny
> Firewall, which I believe became Kerio, which I understand is now no longer
> being updated IIRC.....
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret

Computer Associates recently acquired Tiny software, so it's an unknown
what will happen with Tiny firewall other than it will eventually be
assimilated into CA's eTrust line of products.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/27/HNcabuysfirew...
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:59:51 PM

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message

> If you can edit a text file to turn it on, malware can edit the text
> file to turn it off. (Never used BlackIce for this reason.)

Not if you run in user mode as opposed to admin. But you're right, I only
use Black ICE as backup behind my NAT firewall. I would probably want more
protection if I didn't have the hardware.

>> Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
>> simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT
>> firewall, however, so that provides some additional protection
>> (again, not against outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found
>> BlackICE, my fav was Tiny Firewall, which I believe became Kerio,
>> which I understand is now no longer being updated IIRC.....
>
> Kerio is alive and well. And a very good firewall. Free for home use. Yes,
> it monitors both inbound and outbound traffic.
> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

This is good to know. Thanks.

Regards,

Margaret
August 23, 2005 1:58:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <ajkOe.23988$Hx4.12783@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
a.nony.mous@example.invalid says...
> Margaret Wilson wrote:
>
> > Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've
> > been very pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I
> > did the firewall eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is
> > Black ICE. I know some people say it's not a "real" firewall
> > because it doesn't scan outgoing traffic. Well, if those people
> > actually read the manual, they'd know there's a switch you can use
> > in firewall.ini to have it scan outgoing traffic.
>
> If you can edit a text file to turn it on, malware can edit the text
> file to turn it off. (Never used BlackIce for this reason.)
>
> > Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
> > simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT
> > firewall, however, so that provides some additional protection
> > (again, not against outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found
> > BlackICE, my fav was Tiny Firewall, which I believe became Kerio,
> > which I understand is now no longer being updated IIRC.....
>
> Kerio is alive and well. And a very good firewall. Free for home use.
> Yes, it monitors both inbound and outbound traffic.
> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

I just looked at the Kerio site and at the comparison chart between
the paid and free version.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_comparison_version.html

I note that the free version does not offer script blocking along
with some other things I'm not knowledgeable enough to asses.

I'm running Nod32 for my AV and I have a Linksys NAT router. Win
XP Pro with MS firewall turned off.

Is script blocking necessary?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d74171221d286ca9896c2@news-server.nyc.rr.com>,
nospam@nospam.com says...
> In article <ajkOe.23988$Hx4.12783@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
> a.nony.mous@example.invalid says...
> > Margaret Wilson wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've
> > > been very pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I
> > > did the firewall eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is
> > > Black ICE. I know some people say it's not a "real" firewall
> > > because it doesn't scan outgoing traffic. Well, if those people
> > > actually read the manual, they'd know there's a switch you can use
> > > in firewall.ini to have it scan outgoing traffic.
> >
> > If you can edit a text file to turn it on, malware can edit the text
> > file to turn it off. (Never used BlackIce for this reason.)
> >
> > > Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
> > > simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT
> > > firewall, however, so that provides some additional protection
> > > (again, not against outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found
> > > BlackICE, my fav was Tiny Firewall, which I believe became Kerio,
> > > which I understand is now no longer being updated IIRC.....
> >
> > Kerio is alive and well. And a very good firewall. Free for home use.
> > Yes, it monitors both inbound and outbound traffic.
> > http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
> >

> I just looked at the Kerio site and at the comparison chart between
> the paid and free version.
>
> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_comparison_version.html
>
> I note that the free version does not offer script blocking along
> with some other things I'm not knowledgeable enough to asses.
>
> I'm running Nod32 for my AV and I have a Linksys NAT router. Win
> XP Pro with MS firewall turned off.
>
> Is script blocking necessary?

I thought script blocking was typically done by your anti-virus
software. Or maybe it was just Norton that had it and not the others?
Don't know for sure.

--
Kerodo
August 23, 2005 6:13:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <a.nony.mous@example.invalid> wrote in message
> Margaret Wilson wrote:
>
>> Interesting choice in AV software. I chose NOD32 as well! I've been
>> very pleased with it. Much better than NAV in my opinion. I did the
>> firewall eval thing quite a while ago, and my choice is Black ICE. I
>> know some people say it's not a "real" firewall because it doesn't scan
>> outgoing traffic. Well, if those people actually read the manual, they'd
>> know there's a switch you can use in firewall.ini to have it scan
>> outgoing traffic.
>
> If you can edit a text file to turn it on, malware can edit the text
> file to turn it off. (Never used BlackIce for this reason.)
>
>> Personally, I prefer to start with a known-clean system and then
>> simply scan incoming traffic. My network sits behind a NAT
>> firewall, however, so that provides some additional protection
>> (again, not against outgoing traffic). Anyway, before I found
>> BlackICE, my fav was Tiny Firewall, which I believe became Kerio,
>> which I understand is now no longer being updated IIRC.....
>
> Kerio is alive and well. And a very good firewall. Free for home use. Yes,
> it monitors both inbound and outbound traffic.
> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
>
> --
> -bts
> -This space intentionally left blank.

Hey thanks, I will take a look at this product.

Bob
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:18:52 PM

louise wrote:

> But if there are no signature updates available in the future, what
> does that mean for the security of continuing to use Sygate?

What "signature updates" do you get now?
!