new driver for TNT1 w/TV Out ?

'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
posters *have* been displayed (?)

Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
*supports* TV Out?

I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
(although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
9-20-00.

I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
sure be improved.

Many thanks,

Travis
9 answers Last reply
More about driver tnt1

    Travis wrote:

    > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
    > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
    > posters *have* been displayed (?)

    Try Linux and nvtv.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/

    Thanks for the reply, but the link you have here seems to be for
    for Linux only. Is there nothing for Windows 98SE, or do Linux
    drivers apply without a hitch? (My ignorance is showing.)

    Many Thanks!

    "Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> wrote in message
    > Travis wrote:
    >
    > > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts
    that
    > > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to
    other
    > > posters *have* been displayed (?)
    >
    > Try Linux and nvtv.
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/

    Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow nVidia's
    marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or four generations
    old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor support, so they
    are worth a try.

    Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up your PC. Some
    driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port or the "TV"
    option will be grayed out.

    "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message

    > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
    > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
    > posters *have* been displayed (?)
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
    > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
    > *supports* TV Out?
    >
    > I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
    > (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
    > choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
    > either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
    > 9-20-00.
    >
    > I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
    > even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
    > sure be improved.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Travis

    The latest Forceware drivers from nVidia work fine with TNT1's if you add
    their missing pci id line and card name back into the inf file before
    installing. This is true for Win9x, NT4, 2K-XP. This is easy to do and
    keeps your old card fresh with driver interface features. The 56.56 and
    56.72 drivers have a shutdown issue with AT (nonATX) systems, but the others
    seem to be ok.

    The current Forceware 61.21 drivers from Guru3D for XP have these lines in
    the inf file and work pretty good with the TNT1 (NV4). For TV out, you are
    right that a 75ohm load is needed on the TV output for the driver to enable
    it. TVTool still works to get a few more output settings as well.

    > Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow nVidia's
    > marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or four generations
    > old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor support, so
    they
    > are worth a try.
    >
    > Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up your PC. Some
    > driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port or the "TV"
    > option will be grayed out.
    >
    > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
    > > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
    > > posters *have* been displayed (?)
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
    > > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
    > > *supports* TV Out?
    > >
    > > I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
    > > (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
    > > choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
    > > either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
    > > 9-20-00.
    > >
    > > I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
    > > even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
    > > sure be improved.
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > Travis

    Dear Default,

    Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
    hasn't responded yet.

    I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware" Version:
    45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
    45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had with
    it.

    About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup was
    unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
    Installation will be terminated."

    I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of references
    to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't know
    where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line and
    card name" you refer to!

    (*sample line from nvagp.inf:
    %NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)

    How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a STB
    Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)

    I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed with
    them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I don't
    know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
    drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.

    Many thanks!

    Travis

    "default" <defaultname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The latest Forceware drivers from nVidia work fine with TNT1's
    if you add
    > their missing pci id line and card name back into the inf file
    before
    > installing. This is true for Win9x, NT4, 2K-XP. This is easy
    to do and
    > keeps your old card fresh with driver interface features. The
    56.56 and
    > 56.72 drivers have a shutdown issue with AT (nonATX) systems,
    but the others
    > seem to be ok.
    >
    > The current Forceware 61.21 drivers from Guru3D for XP have
    these lines in
    > the inf file and work pretty good with the TNT1 (NV4). For TV
    out, you are
    > right that a 75ohm load is needed on the TV output for the
    driver to enable
    > it. TVTool still works to get a few more output settings as
    well.

    > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow
    nVidia's
    > > marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or
    four generations
    > > old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor
    support, so
    > they
    > > are worth a try.
    > >
    > > Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up
    your PC. Some
    > > driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port
    or the "TV"
    > > option will be grayed out.
    > >
    > > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts
    that
    > > > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to
    other
    > > > posters *have* been displayed (?)
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for
    a STB
    > > > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that
    actually
    > > > *supports* TV Out?
    > > >
    > > > I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV
    Out
    > > > (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let
    you
    > > > choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't
    switch to
    > > > either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
    > > > 9-20-00.
    > > >
    > > > I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV
    and
    > > > even though great beauty is not expected, text function
    could
    > > > sure be improved.
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks,
    > > >
    > > > Travis

    The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64.

    To add NV4 (TNT1) support, two additional lines are needed in the .inf file
    before running setup.

    first scroll down to the section:
    [Mfg]
    %NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0020
    %NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc% = NV5, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028

    insert the line shown above (the = NV4 line).

    then scroll down near the end to
    [Strings]
    Disk1Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 1"
    Disk2Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 2"
    Disk3Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 3"
    Disk4Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 4"
    Disk5Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 5"
    Disk6Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 6"
    NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT"
    NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"

    And add in the Riva TNT line above as shown.

    Now when you rerun setup, your TNT1 card will be supported and work well.

    I have used this driver in 8 different systems here with Diamond Viper V550
    AGP and PCI cards with great results so far.

    For Windows 2000/XP the process is similiar.

    Good luck with it.

    > Dear Default,
    >
    > Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
    > hasn't responded yet.
    >
    > I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware" Version:
    > 45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
    > 45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had with
    > it.
    >
    > About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup was
    > unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
    > Installation will be terminated."
    >
    > I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of references
    > to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't know
    > where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line and
    > card name" you refer to!
    >
    > (*sample line from nvagp.inf:
    > %NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)
    >
    > How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a STB
    > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)
    >
    > I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed with
    > them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I don't
    > know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
    > drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Travis

    Dear Default,

    Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! And I really appreciate your
    expertise here.

    You got it dead right on editing the inf file. The install
    proceeded perfectly.

    Alas, however, nothing came out the composite output, and I can't
    try the S-Video output until I get this Pentium2 downstairs to
    the new flat panel TV. Right now it's feeding an older Sony TV up
    in my office with just composite in. I would expect both to be
    active, though.

    As critically, even running to its 17" CRT monitor, the P2 with
    the 45.23 drivers it won't run three of the six legacy flight
    sims I collected in the late '90s -- a collection that stopped
    with DirectX6. Maybe Nvidia's 45.23_win9x_english.exe doesn't
    want to run this old stuff to TV *or* VGA.

    But -- you mention "The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64."

    What and where would that be? Nvidia seems to stop at the 45.23
    (in XP and 98 flavors) you helped me to edit. I managed to find a
    "60.86_9x_MR.exe" at Guru3D, which you also mentioned. (They had
    an XP version as well.) But "56.64" I don't recognize from my
    travels. Can you direct me?

    Of course, and again, it may be that expecting updated drivers to
    run DX6-era flight sims is expecting too much? I defer to you.
    I'm happy to try anything while I'm configuring this old system
    across the room from my new Dell, and before I get someone to get
    it downstairs for me for the big showdown. (I'm disabled with
    arthritis and don't do much heavy lifting.)

    Many thanks again,

    > The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64.
    >
    > To add NV4 (TNT1) support, two additional lines are needed in
    the .inf file
    > before running setup.
    >
    > first scroll down to the section:
    > [Mfg]
    > %NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0020
    > %NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc% = NV5, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028
    >
    > insert the line shown above (the = NV4 line).
    >
    > then scroll down near the end to
    > [Strings]
    > Disk1Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 1"
    > Disk2Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 2"
    > Disk3Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 3"
    > Disk4Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 4"
    > Disk5Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 5"
    > Disk6Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 6"
    > NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT"
    > NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"
    >
    > And add in the Riva TNT line above as shown.
    >
    > Now when you rerun setup, your TNT1 card will be supported and
    work well.

    > I have used this driver in 8 different systems here with
    Diamond Viper V550
    > AGP and PCI cards with great results so far.
    >
    > For Windows 2000/XP the process is similiar.
    >
    > Good luck with it.
    >
    > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    > > Dear Default,
    > >
    > > Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
    > > hasn't responded yet.
    > >
    > > I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware"
    Version:
    > > 45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
    > > 45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had
    with
    > > it.
    > >
    > > About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup
    was
    > > unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
    > > Installation will be terminated."
    > >
    > > I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of
    references
    > > to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't
    know
    > > where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line
    and
    > > card name" you refer to!
    > >
    > > (*sample line from nvagp.inf:
    > > %NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)
    > >
    > > How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a
    STB
    > > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)
    > >
    > > I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed
    with
    > > them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I
    don't
    > > know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
    > > drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.
    > >
    > > Many thanks!
    > >
    > > Travis

    My TNT cards can run with the TV output on or the VGA output, not both at
    the same time. You may be able to use TVTool to change this, but the normal
    driver function is one or the other with these cards.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64
    or full the full fileset by ftp:
    ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.64/

    is where to get the 56.64 driver. You will need to edit the .inf file in
    the same way. You may want to install DirectX 9.0b if you haven't already.

    Only certain video modes can be represented on the TV output. You didn't
    say which flight-sims don't work or what the error messages were. There is
    probably a solution but you will have to look deeper to find it. I have
    used mine with Microsoft FlightSim 95, 98, 2000, 2002. TV's really don't
    make good computer monitors however anyway.

    > Dear Default,
    >
    > Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! And I really appreciate your
    > expertise here.
    >
    > You got it dead right on editing the inf file. The install
    > proceeded perfectly.
    >
    > Alas, however, nothing came out the composite output, and I can't
    > try the S-Video output until I get this Pentium2 downstairs to
    > the new flat panel TV. Right now it's feeding an older Sony TV up
    > in my office with just composite in. I would expect both to be
    > active, though.
    >
    > As critically, even running to its 17" CRT monitor, the P2 with
    > the 45.23 drivers it won't run three of the six legacy flight
    > sims I collected in the late '90s -- a collection that stopped
    > with DirectX6. Maybe Nvidia's 45.23_win9x_english.exe doesn't
    > want to run this old stuff to TV *or* VGA.
    >
    > But -- you mention "The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64."
    >
    > What and where would that be? Nvidia seems to stop at the 45.23
    > (in XP and 98 flavors) you helped me to edit. I managed to find a
    > "60.86_9x_MR.exe" at Guru3D, which you also mentioned. (They had
    > an XP version as well.) But "56.64" I don't recognize from my
    > travels. Can you direct me?
    >
    > Of course, and again, it may be that expecting updated drivers to
    > run DX6-era flight sims is expecting too much? I defer to you.
    > I'm happy to try anything while I'm configuring this old system
    > across the room from my new Dell, and before I get someone to get
    > it downstairs for me for the big showdown. (I'm disabled with
    > arthritis and don't do much heavy lifting.)
    >
    > Many thanks again,
    >
    > Travis

    Travis Charbeneau 3421 Hanover Ave., Richmond, VA 23221
    travis@charbeneau.net phone: 804 358 0417
    www.richmonder.com/charbeneau

    Hi, Default,

    Thanks again for the speedy reply! I'm sorry if I mis-wrote: my
    TNT also runs just one or the other -- TV or VGA monitor. But
    with the 45.23 drivers at any rate, it refused to switch to the
    TV at all -- both screens went black and, after the requisite 15
    seconds, the VGA came back on. Again, this was running the
    composite out. I don't expect S-Video would be any different,
    but I may give it a try when I get the beast downstairs and
    properly plugged into an S-Video input.

    As for the games refusing to display even on the VGA, where 45.23
    properly displayed Desktop, IE6, etc., there were no error
    messages. Red Baron 3D works, running in DirectDraw (I sob for my
    pair of Voodoo2s SLI sitting useless now in the motherboard. No
    TV out for them.) On Microprose European Air War, audio came on,
    the screen went black, and only subtitles were shown,
    accumulating on top of one another until I escaped to the main
    game screen (which invariably displays, even if the game sequence
    itself doesn't). I could quit from there. Jane's WW2 Fighters
    gave no audio, screen went white, then blue. I was able to Alt-F4
    to freedom from that. Jane's USAF never loaded past its
    "Initializing" screen, locked and required a cold boot/reset.

    As you say, TVs don't make good PC monitors, and I may be looking
    for improvements that just can't be had. The TV downstairs is a
    42" HDTV (Sony LCD projection), which will most likely only make
    the 800X600 max output of the TNT look worse than it does on the
    27" CRT Sony I'm working with at present -- unless the S-Video
    makes some sort of dramatic impact.

    Failing a new video card (and I'm still paying for the new
    computer that replaced the Pentium2 with the TNT), true beauty is
    not to be expected. And a new card might well demand DirectX9,
    which is not uninstallable for Win98, in so far as I have
    researched it. (Again, currently I'm running DX6 on the old
    machine. I know MS claims backward compatibility on DirectX, but
    if it messes the sims, or freaks the equally old Montego II sound
    card, -- visions of re-installing Win98-SE loom, etc.)

    I suppose if you want to run legacy sims you need a legacy
    system, like the good old Mattel "Intellivision" sitting wrapped
    in plastic down in the basement. Nonetheless, I'll try the 56.64
    drivers. One never knows.

    In any case, I really appreciate your informed feedback on this
    quest. You've been more than generous. If you want to know how
    the quest ended, please send me your email address to mine above?

    Many thanks in any case,

> [...]
    > >
    > > What and where would that be? Nvidia seems to stop at the
    45.23
    > > (in XP and 98 flavors) you helped me to edit. I managed to
    find a
    > > "60.86_9x_MR.exe" at Guru3D, which you also mentioned. (They
    had
    > > an XP version as well.) But "56.64" I don't recognize from my
    > > travels. Can you direct me?
    > >
    > > Of course, and again, it may be that expecting updated
    drivers to
    > > run DX6-era flight sims is expecting too much? I defer to
    you.
    > > I'm happy to try anything while I'm configuring this old
    system
    > > across the room from my new Dell, and before I get someone to
    get
    > > it downstairs for me for the big showdown. (I'm disabled with
    > > arthritis and don't do much heavy lifting.)

Nvidia TV Graphics