  • TV
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2004 2:38:48 PM

'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
posters *have* been displayed (?)

Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
*supports* TV Out?

I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
(although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
9-20-00.

I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
sure be improved.

Many thanks,

Travis

More about : driver tnt1

Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:56:15 AM

Travis wrote:

> 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
> have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
> posters *have* been displayed (?)

Try Linux and nvtv.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 8:59:51 PM

Thanks for the reply, but the link you have here seems to be for
for Linux only. Is there nothing for Windows 98SE, or do Linux
drivers apply without a hitch? (My ignorance is showing.)

Many Thanks!

"Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> wrote in message
> Travis wrote:
>
> > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts
that
> > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to
other
> > posters *have* been displayed (?)
>
> Try Linux and nvtv.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/
June 6, 2004 12:42:55 AM

Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow nVidia's
marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or four generations
old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor support, so they
are worth a try.

Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up your PC. Some
driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port or the "TV"
option will be grayed out.

"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message

> 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
> have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
> posters *have* been displayed (?)
>
> Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
> Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
> *supports* TV Out?
>
> I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
> (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
> choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
> either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
> 9-20-00.
>
> I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
> even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
> sure be improved.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Travis

June 6, 2004 9:16:18 PM

The latest Forceware drivers from nVidia work fine with TNT1's if you add
their missing pci id line and card name back into the inf file before
installing. This is true for Win9x, NT4, 2K-XP. This is easy to do and
keeps your old card fresh with driver interface features. The 56.56 and
56.72 drivers have a shutdown issue with AT (nonATX) systems, but the others
seem to be ok.

The current Forceware 61.21 drivers from Guru3D for XP have these lines in
the inf file and work pretty good with the TNT1 (NV4). For TV out, you are
right that a 75ohm load is needed on the TV output for the driver to enable
it. TVTool still works to get a few more output settings as well.

> Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow nVidia's
> marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or four generations
> old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor support, so
they
> are worth a try.
>
> Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up your PC. Some
> driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port or the "TV"
> option will be grayed out.
>
> "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
> >
> > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts that
> > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to other
> > posters *have* been displayed (?)
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for a STB
> > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that actually
> > *supports* TV Out?
> >
> > I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV Out
> > (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let you
> > choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't switch to
> > either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
> > 9-20-00.
> >
> > I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV and
> > even though great beauty is not expected, text function could
> > sure be improved.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Travis

Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:09:29 PM

Dear Default,

Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
hasn't responded yet.

I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware" Version:
45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had with
it.

About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup was
unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
Installation will be terminated."

I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of references
to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't know
where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line and
card name" you refer to!

(*sample line from nvagp.inf:
%NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)

How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a STB
Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)

I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed with
them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I don't
know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.

Many thanks!

Travis

"default" <defaultname@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The latest Forceware drivers from nVidia work fine with TNT1's
if you add
> their missing pci id line and card name back into the inf file
before
> installing. This is true for Win9x, NT4, 2K-XP. This is easy
to do and
> keeps your old card fresh with driver interface features. The
56.56 and
> 56.72 drivers have a shutdown issue with AT (nonATX) systems,
but the others
> seem to be ok.
>
> The current Forceware 61.21 drivers from Guru3D for XP have
these lines in
> the inf file and work pretty good with the TNT1 (NV4). For TV
out, you are
> right that a 75ohm load is needed on the TV output for the
driver to enable
> it. TVTool still works to get a few more output settings as
well.

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Even the most recent Detonator (or "ForceWare" if you follow
nVidia's
> > marketing) supports TNT1. I think Detonator 3 is three or
four generations
> > old. The newest ones have improved TV-out and dual-monitor
support, so
> they
> > are worth a try.
> >
> > Oh, and make sure you have a TV connected before booting up
your PC. Some
> > driver versions need to see a 75-ohm load on the S-video port
or the "TV"
> > option will be grayed out.
> >
> > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > 'Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've made two other posts
that
> > > have yet to be displayed on this group (although replies to
other
> > > posters *have* been displayed (?)
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend a later-than-1998 Win98-SE driver for
a STB
> > > Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128, Nvidia TNT1) that
actually
> > > *supports* TV Out?
> > >
> > > I have the "Detonator" series, none of which supported TV
Out
> > > (although Detonator 3 has a nice selector for format to let
you
> > > choose "Composite" or "S-Video" TV Out -- it just won't
switch to
> > > either). The latest of these drivers, Detonator 3, is dated
> > > 9-20-00.
> > >
> > > I'm moving an old machine downstairs to display on the TV
and
> > > even though great beauty is not expected, text function
could
> > > sure be improved.
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Travis

June 8, 2004 6:15:15 AM

The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64.

To add NV4 (TNT1) support, two additional lines are needed in the .inf file
before running setup.

first scroll down to the section:
[Mfg]
%NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0020
%NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc% = NV5, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0028

insert the line shown above (the = NV4 line).

then scroll down near the end to
[Strings]
Disk1Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 1"
Disk2Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 2"
Disk3Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 3"
Disk4Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 4"
Disk5Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 5"
Disk6Name="NVIDIA Compatible Display Driver Disk 6"
NVIDIA&DEV_0020.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT"
NVIDIA&DEV_0028.DeviceDesc="NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro"

And add in the Riva TNT line above as shown.

Now when you rerun setup, your TNT1 card will be supported and work well.

I have used this driver in 8 different systems here with Diamond Viper V550
AGP and PCI cards with great results so far.

For Windows 2000/XP the process is similiar.

Good luck with it.

> Dear Default,
>
> Help! This is exactly what happened to me, and "First of One"
> hasn't responded yet.
>
> I went to the Nvidia site and finally found "Forceware" Version:
> 45.23, for Win98, Release Date: August 13, 2003 filename:
> 45.23_win9x_english.exe -- and I got all the PDF they had with
> it.
>
> About halfway through install, I got an error message "Setup was
> unable to locate a detected device's PCI ID in nvagp.inf.
> Installation will be terminated."
>
> I went into the nvagp.inf file and there are plenty of references
> to NV4*, but my card still wasn't recognized, and I wouldn't know
> where to begin adding back the proper "missing pci id line and
> card name" you refer to!
>
> (*sample line from nvagp.inf:
> %NVIDIA&DEV_002C.DeviceDesc% = NV4, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_002C)
>
> How do I edit the file to include my TNT1? (Again, it's a a STB
> Velocity 4400 with TV Out (Riva 128)
>
> I have the 56.72 drivers you refer to, but haven't messed with
> them. I have a a Soyo SY-6BA motherboard in that system. I don't
> know if that's "nonATX" or not.) I'd try the Forceware 61.21
> drivers from Guru3D you mention, but this system is Win98-SE.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Travis

Anonymous
June 8, 2004 6:17:12 AM

Dear Default,

Wow, thanks for the speedy reply! And I really appreciate your
expertise here.

You got it dead right on editing the inf file. The install
proceeded perfectly.

Alas, however, nothing came out the composite output, and I can't
try the S-Video output until I get this Pentium2 downstairs to
the new flat panel TV. Right now it's feeding an older Sony TV up
in my office with just composite in. I would expect both to be
active, though.

As critically, even running to its 17" CRT monitor, the P2 with
the 45.23 drivers it won't run three of the six legacy flight
sims I collected in the late '90s -- a collection that stopped
with DirectX6. Maybe Nvidia's 45.23_win9x_english.exe doesn't
want to run this old stuff to TV *or* VGA.

But -- you mention "The current Win95,98,SE,ME driver is 56.64."

What and where would that be? Nvidia seems to stop at the 45.23
(in XP and 98 flavors) you helped me to edit. I managed to find a
"60.86_9x_MR.exe" at Guru3D, which you also mentioned. (They had
an XP version as well.) But "56.64" I don't recognize from my
travels. Can you direct me?

Of course, and again, it may be that expecting updated drivers to
run DX6-era flight sims is expecting too much? I defer to you.
I'm happy to try anything while I'm configuring this old system
across the room from my new Dell, and before I get someone to get
it downstairs for me for the big showdown. (I'm disabled with
arthritis and don't do much heavy lifting.)

Many thanks again,