Best card for LCD Monitor

I have a Panasonic LCD monitor which works best at 1024*768. With all these
new and wonderful cards coming should I wait for a new one or aim for
something like a FX 5900 XT? Looking at current benchmarks, all the cards
perform in a similar range at the res I'm going to use. If I am not going
to run above 1024*768 would I be getting any value getting a more powerful
card?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

early comparisons of the new cards v 9800s and 5900s show that
whereas they excell at high resolutions - at 1024x768 theres very little
differance.

Havard Spring wrote:

> I have a Panasonic LCD monitor which works best at 1024*768. With all these
> new and wonderful cards coming should I wait for a new one or aim for
> something like a FX 5900 XT? Looking at current benchmarks, all the cards
> perform in a similar range at the res I'm going to use. If I am not going
> to run above 1024*768 would I be getting any value getting a more powerful
> card?

Remember, these are merely benchmarks, they aren't the actual framerates
that the cards run. They are valuble only go show the relative
merits of the cards, but they don't indicate what a given game
will run fps wise, and that's what is important to the end user.
All one can say is that there will be situations where the 5900xt will
inadequate, so that may justify the extra cost of a 6800 series
card. each individual must make the cost vs performance vs availability
trade off for himself.

Jeff B