nasty problem with geforce2 mx 100/200

Hello, since two weeks so far, I'm experimenting some probs with my vc; at
boot, the pc emits three bips (one long, two short; a vc alarm, I guess),
and won't start. I remove the videocard, put in again in the agp socket, and
I try again, 'til the pc starts finally. I installed the latest nvidia
drivers, and also the latest detonators (nvfixsfx.exe), but the prob isn't
yet solved. Nay, often the pc freezes. What happens? Maybe the videocard is
about bidding farewell (maybe 'cause of some viruses?)?

I have: mobo abit kt7a (which gave many probs with the card, in installing
xp; I solved putting in a pci card, then installing the os, then I put in
the geforce instead), duron 900, 196 mb ram, and a brand new power supply (I
say this 'cause someone told me that the cause could even be the power
supply).

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Dwe" <no@spam.no> wrote in message
> Hello, since two weeks so far, I'm experimenting some probs with my vc; at
> boot, the pc emits three bips (one long, two short; a vc alarm, I guess),
> and won't start. I remove the videocard, put in again in the agp socket,
and
> I try again, 'til the pc starts finally. I installed the latest nvidia
> drivers, and also the latest detonators (nvfixsfx.exe), but the prob isn't
> yet solved. Nay, often the pc freezes. What happens? Maybe the videocard
is
> about bidding farewell (maybe 'cause of some viruses?)?

Abit KT7A / Award BIOS beep code one long two short: Video failure. Get
wild. Blow $20 on Ebay for a Geforce2 GTS Pro 32 or 64Mb card. About 4 times
faster than the old malfunctioning one you have.

Ok, so the bid was right; the current card is about going hell?

> Ok, so the bid was right; the current card is about going hell?

There's an off chance your AGP slot itself is the culprit, but the greatest
probability is the video card. Beg borrow or steal temporarily an AGP card
and slap it in check before you run out and get another card.

Uhm , done: the problem persist also with another videocard. Maybe is rather
the agp slot: is there any chance to fix it at best 'til I get another mobo?

> Uhm , done: the problem persist also with another videocard. Maybe is
rather
> the agp slot: is there any chance to fix it at best 'til I get another
mobo?

The only interim fix is to scrounge up a PCI videocard and use it. If you
get a PCI FX5200 or a PCI Radeon 9100 it'll be a big improvement over your
old card anyway. Of these two, the Radeon 9100 is a fair bit faster.

Uhm.... So, better to buy a pci card, 'cause, as I said in another post, the
problem appear also when I put in another videocard, so it could be surely
the agp slot.
I noticed another detail, so for case study. When I connect to the net
without firewall, the pc freezes, I mean, the pointer got sheared, the
screen blinks black for som secs, then appears again, but I cannot click any
icon in the taskbar. A week ago, I installed Klipnews, and the screen got
smeared, the cursor froze, and so on. Since then, I experimented a hardening
of the problems, albeit I reinstalled the old drivers, toggled again the
newer ones, installed detonators and so on.