Upgrade Recommendation

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.

A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP

Could someone recommend a card to upgrade to?

Thanks,
Bob

"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> Can I use an 8X card in a 4X AGP Board?

As long as the video card is 4X/8X compatible, most of the 8X cards are, but
still make sure, and of course it will only run at 4X, which is no big deal.
Most if not all of the testing sites have proven with results that agp speed
makes very little difference performance....

> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
>
> A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP

A geforce what? 2, 3, if it was a 4 series it would be 4200, etc...

What are you looking to be able to do, relatively speaking a 1.9 P4 is
getting pretty slow to keep up with todays games...

"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> Can I use an 8X card in a 4X AGP Board?

Yes, but it will only run at 4x speed.

Nathan.

GeForce 3 Ti 200

Sorry!

"Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message

> "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
> >
> > A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
> >
> A geforce what? 2, 3, if it was a 4 series it would be 4200, etc...
>
> What are you looking to be able to do, relatively speaking a 1.9 P4 is
> getting pretty slow to keep up with todays games...

I get shotty graphics when I play Black Hawk Down in Multiplayer mode.

I am looking to upgrade the video without upgrading anything else.

PC is only 3 years old.

"Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message

> "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
> >
> > A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
> >
> A geforce what? 2, 3, if it was a 4 series it would be 4200, etc...
>
> What are you looking to be able to do, relatively speaking a 1.9 P4 is
> getting pretty slow to keep up with todays games...

Vic

ONLY!!!

> I get shotty graphics when I play Black Hawk Down in Multiplayer mode.
>
> I am looking to upgrade the video without upgrading anything else.
>
> PC is only 3 years old.
>
> "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
> > >
> > > A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
> > >
> > A geforce what? 2, 3, if it was a 4 series it would be 4200, etc...
> >
> > What are you looking to be able to do, relatively speaking a 1.9 P4 is
> > getting pretty slow to keep up with todays games...

yup...only. I'm not the type that has to have the latest and greatest
every time a new PC comes out!

It's called saving money.

"Vic" <shill7@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> ONLY!!!
>
> "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> > I get shotty graphics when I play Black Hawk Down in Multiplayer mode.
> >
> > I am looking to upgrade the video without upgrading anything else.
> >
> > PC is only 3 years old.
> >
> > "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message

> > > A geforce what? 2, 3, if it was a 4 series it would be 4200, etc...
> > >
> > > What are you looking to be able to do, relatively speaking a 1.9 P4 is
> > > getting pretty slow to keep up with todays games...

This is what I am looking at now. What's better graphics wise #1 or #2?

#1 Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 Video Card / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / TV Out & DVI

#2 PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra Video Card / 128MB DDR2 / AGP8X / TV-Out
& DVI

> yup...only. I'm not the type that has to have the latest and greatest
> every time a new PC comes out!
>
> It's called saving money.
>
> "Vic" <shill7@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> > ONLY!!!
> >
> > "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> > > I get shotty graphics when I play Black Hawk Down in Multiplayer mode.
> > >
> > > I am looking to upgrade the video without upgrading anything else.
> > >
> > > PC is only 3 years old.
> > >
> > > "Biz" <biznospam@att.net> wrote in message

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:35:43 +0100, "Sugar Mouse"
<n.scrivens@spam.virgin.here.net> wrote:

>"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
>> Can I use an 8X card in a 4X AGP Board?
>>

>Yes, but it will only run at 4x speed.

So? And the difference would be what?

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net> wrote in message
> yup...only. I'm not the type that has to have the latest and greatest
> every time a new PC comes out!
>
> It's called saving money.

Well, if you want to be able to play the latest and greatest games, you have
to update your pc more often than that. At least every 18-24 months.

> This is what I am looking at now. What's better graphics wise #1 or #2?
>
> #1 Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 Video Card / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / TV Out &
DVI

> #2 PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra Video Card / 128MB DDR2 / AGP8X /
TV-Out
> & DVI

The 5200 is slower than what you have now...it just adds DX9 support

#2 is a much better choice...

K2NNJ wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
>
> A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
>
> Could someone recommend a card to upgrade to?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

FX 6800 ultra, any brand
They should be out soon.

K2NNJ wrote:

> This is what I am looking at now. What's better graphics wise #1 or #2?
>
> #1 Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 Video Card / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / TV Out & DVI
>
> #2 PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra Video Card / 128MB DDR2 / AGP8X / TV-Out
> & DVI

Whatever you do DO NOT get the 5700u! It is WAY slower
than the 5900xt, and the price is the same.

jeff b wrote:

> K2NNJ wrote:
>
>> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
>>
>> A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
>>
>> Could someone recommend a card to upgrade to?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob
>>

> FX 6800 ultra, any brand
> They should be out soon.

And a new PSU with 480 W?!

roy

>I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.

RamBust memory, and the board probably has the P4 in Socket423,
another dead-end upgrade without replacing the entire system.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 01:30:57 GMT, "K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMarrl.net>
wrote:

>This is what I am looking at now. What's better graphics wise #1 or #2?
>
>#1 Chaintech GeForce FX 5200 Video Card / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / TV Out & DVI
>
>#2 PNY Verto GeForce FX 5700 Ultra Video Card / 128MB DDR2 / AGP8X / TV-Out
>& DVI

While the 5700 will totally murder the 5200.. the 5900xt is about
twice as fast as the 5700Ultra... but costs the same price (okay, the
5900xt costs about $10 more)

www.pricewatch.com

NOTE: Gainward calls ALL THEIR CARDS "ULTRAS" - even when they are not
Ultra class cards. A 5700 LE (Called Ultra from Gainward) is about
$110 - but a TRUE 5700 Ultra is about $165~200.

- - - - -

On Sat, 22 May 2004 15:36:13 +0200, Roy Coorne <rcoorne@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>jeff b wrote:
>

>> K2NNJ wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Dell Dimension 8200 P4 1.9GHz w/ 512MB RDRAM.
>>>
>>> A nVidia GeForce Ti 200 / 4X AGP
>>>
>>> Could someone recommend a card to upgrade to?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob
>>>

>> FX 6800 ultra, any brand
>> They should be out soon.
>>
>And a new PSU with 480 W?!

And that won't happen with a DELL.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

Uh hum.

Shouldn't you also mention that the power supply has to be upgraded and
there has to be enough ancillary power connectors (6800 needs 2 doesn't
it?).

My view is that with the new cards unproven - go for the 5800/5900 breeds -
their prices should begin to drop now.

Nvidia for stability and good drivers - ATI for speed/buck and instability.

Roj.

U.K.

Roger Snee wrote:
> Uh hum.
>
> Shouldn't you also mention that the power supply has to be upgraded

Not necessarily. If it does, how much is a new 350watt supply?
$40? $50?
Jeff B

On Mon, 24 May 2004 03:45:18 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>Roger Snee wrote:
>> Uh hum.
>>
>> Shouldn't you also mention that the power supply has to be upgraded
>
>Not necessarily. If it does, how much is a new 350watt supply?
>$40? $50?

IT's a DELL! Their PSUs and mobos are none standard.

- - - - -

Darthy wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 03:45:18 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:
>

>>Roger Snee wrote:
>>
>>>Uh hum.
>>>
>>>Shouldn't you also mention that the power supply has to be upgraded
>>
>>Not necessarily. If it does, how much is a new 350watt supply?
>>$40? $50?
>

> IT's a DELL! Their PSUs and mobos are none standard.

If youre dell system is 2 years old or less...
its probably under warranty anyway.

If its 3 years old or so

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/

sells dell compatible powersupplies.

However if it is 3 years old or more you might just replace
the motherboard and powersupply together.

> IT's a DELL! Their PSUs and mobos are none standard.

Still another example of what bad things happen when you let somebody
else design and build your computer.

Jeff B

On Tue, 25 May 2004 19:10:27 GMT, jeff b <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote:

>> IT's a DELL! Their PSUs and mobos are none standard.
>>

>Still another example of what bad things happen when you let somebody
>else design and build your computer.
>
>Jeff B

???

None of the major brands design or manufacture their computers.
HP/paq systems are generally standard parts now.

TRENDING THREADS