Do I need to update?

I have a 4 tear old Dell dimension Desktop operating WinMe and I am
using an Nvidia TNT 2M64 4XAgp (Dell) video card. Occasionally when I
am surfing using a Tabbed Browser I find that the screen is slow in
repainting from the previous site and if I am not careful 2 or more
pages will stay on the screen and I often get a total crash.

I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.

Do you think that updating the video card driver will help? and if so
how do I do it?

I have downloaded the following from the Nvidia site:

56.64_win9x_international

Is this appropriate for me and do I simply install it like I would a
normal software program?

"Jack Black" <campton@pd.jaring.nospam.my > wrote in message
> I have a 4 tear old Dell dimension Desktop operating WinMe and I am
> using an Nvidia TNT 2M64 4XAgp (Dell) video card. Occasionally when I
> am surfing using a Tabbed Browser I find that the screen is slow in
> repainting from the previous site and if I am not careful 2 or more
> pages will stay on the screen and I often get a total crash.
>
> I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
> RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.
>
> Do you think that updating the video card driver will help? and if so
> how do I do it?
>
> I have downloaded the following from the Nvidia site:
>
> 56.64_win9x_international
>
> Is this appropriate for me and do I simply install it like I would a
> normal software program?

Well, you said its 4 years old, and has aTNT2 M65 video card, but you didnt
mention the speed of teh cpu, or how much ram you already had in it. For
that video card and that OS, I'd use something 21.83, 30.82, or possibly
41.09, you will gain nothing from any newer drivers due to your OS and the
sheer age and outdatedness of your video card.
I would recommend checking your system for spyware, etc..using the following
apps which are all free.

adaware
Spybot, search and destroy
Hijack This

A simple google search will easily link you to the software.

Firstly, I would recommend adding more ram if its at all feasible
economically - try Ebay for some cheaper rambus. Defragment your
harddrive(s). If you feel like a change, you could also rid yourself of
WinMe (horrible os) and install something like windows2k or winxp.
As for installing the new videocard drivers - yes just download the latest
and run the file, you 'll have to reboot afterwards. You should see
improvements graphically within games and application sthat use it -but I
doubt it'd change your current problem. But who knows give it a try.

"Jack Black" <campton@pd.jaring.nospam.my > wrote in message
> I have a 4 tear old Dell dimension Desktop operating WinMe and I am
> using an Nvidia TNT 2M64 4XAgp (Dell) video card. Occasionally when I
> am surfing using a Tabbed Browser I find that the screen is slow in
> repainting from the previous site and if I am not careful 2 or more
> pages will stay on the screen and I often get a total crash.
>
> I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
> RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.
>
> Do you think that updating the video card driver will help? and if so
> how do I do it?
>
> I have downloaded the following from the Nvidia site:
>
> 56.64_win9x_international
>
> Is this appropriate for me and do I simply install it like I would a
> normal software program?

Yes recycle the damn thing.
"Blaedmon" <here@hell.com> wrote in message
> Firstly, I would recommend adding more ram if its at all feasible
> economically - try Ebay for some cheaper rambus. Defragment your
> harddrive(s). If you feel like a change, you could also rid yourself of
> WinMe (horrible os) and install something like windows2k or winxp.
> As for installing the new videocard drivers - yes just download the latest
> and run the file, you 'll have to reboot afterwards. You should see
> improvements graphically within games and application sthat use it -but I
> doubt it'd change your current problem. But who knows give it a try.
>
> "Jack Black" <campton@pd.jaring.nospam.my > wrote in message
> > I have a 4 tear old Dell dimension Desktop operating WinMe and I am
> > using an Nvidia TNT 2M64 4XAgp (Dell) video card. Occasionally when I
> > am surfing using a Tabbed Browser I find that the screen is slow in
> > repainting from the previous site and if I am not careful 2 or more
> > pages will stay on the screen and I often get a total crash.
> >
> > I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
> > RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.
> >
> > Do you think that updating the video card driver will help? and if so
> > how do I do it?
> >
> > I have downloaded the following from the Nvidia site:
> >
> > 56.64_win9x_international
> >
> > Is this appropriate for me and do I simply install it like I would a
> > normal software program?

The 5x.xx drivers will NOT work with that older card. It will be unstable.

--
DaveW

"Jack Black" <campton@pd.jaring.nospam.my > wrote in message
> I have a 4 tear old Dell dimension Desktop operating WinMe and I am
> using an Nvidia TNT 2M64 4XAgp (Dell) video card. Occasionally when I
> am surfing using a Tabbed Browser I find that the screen is slow in
> repainting from the previous site and if I am not careful 2 or more
> pages will stay on the screen and I often get a total crash.
>
> I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
> RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.
>
> Do you think that updating the video card driver will help? and if so
> how do I do it?
>
> I have downloaded the following from the Nvidia site:
>
> 56.64_win9x_international
>
> Is this appropriate for me and do I simply install it like I would a
> normal software program?

>I suspect that adding Ram will help the problem but this system uses
>RamBus and the cost of upgrading is prohibitive.

The DREADED Intel 820 chipset (which still got its ass spanked by the
venerable BX)