Chaintech MX440-8X PCI, Compaq Deskpro & XP

All:

Trying to get the MX440-8X PCI video card to work in a Compaq Deskpro
(500mhz P3). Per instructions, I take the old video card out and put MX in
PCI slot -- Compaq won't boot. Beeps on startup.

Put old video card back in, keeping MX in PCI slot. Follow device install
process using enclosed CD. No indication of problem and completes
successfully. After reboot, MX isn't found.

Attempt to manual add MX by referencing INF file on CD
(NVIDIA\WHQL\Win2k_XP\nv4_disp.inf). Doesn't display list of video cards to
choose from.

I've tried two different PCI slots, but get the same results. All actions
were performed as administrator.

Any help is welcome.

-dgr

"The Gliberal" <drueax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> All:
>
> Trying to get the MX440-8X PCI video card to work
> in a Compaq Deskpro (500mhz P3).

Here is the answer so listen up:

That Compaq Deskpro can't see PCI video cards with more than 32MB of memory.
Deskpros with a slot 1 CPU, including the 500MHz P3 you mention, are all in
this category.

Trust me, I bought 10 cards similar to the ones you mention. Ended up
returning the 9 unopened ones and ordering 10 32MB cards.

Very embarassing, as I pride myself on researching these issues before I
start a job.

We are not worthy....

Got a Radeon 32mg and all is well. Never would have spotted that one.

> We are not worthy....
>
> Got a Radeon 32mg and all is well. Never would have spotted that one.
>
> -dgr

NP. Glad you got it working.