GeForceTX 5200 + AGP mode + Bios

Ok, just got a GForceTX5200, had a geforce 2 gts before.
Ok, i dont have any problems at all, but in my bios there is written that i
have AGP 1x,2x,4x - if i look in windows xp, in the display settings under
FX 5200 there is written that my computer uses 2x AGP....., well, is this a
bug, or what is it....,
hopefully somebody can help me
appreciate it =)

On Tue, 25 May 2004 17:32:38 +0200, "Marc Schwede"
<schwedenmut@web.de> wrote:

>Ok, just got a GForceTX5200, had a geforce 2 gts before.
>Ok, i dont have any problems at all, but in my bios there is written that i
>have AGP 1x,2x,4x - if i look in windows xp, in the display settings under
>FX 5200 there is written that my computer uses 2x AGP....., well, is this a
>bug, or what is it....,
>hopefully somebody can help me
>appreciate it =)

Not sure why you asked this twice...

Most likely your chipset. If you have one of VIA's late P3 or early
Athlon chipsets, the AGP driving strength was a bit too weak and
sometimes AGP 4X would be slightly unstable on them with nVidia cards.
So nVidia simply made it so that when their drivers detected these
bugged chipsets, that they'd force themselves into AGP 2X mode. It's
not a big deal really. In terms of real-world performance, AGP 4X is
only about 0%-5% faster than AGP 2X so you're not really losing
anything.

nemesis

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001

Thanks for the help, and because of the double posting, i never used
newsgroups before so i made a mistake ^^, sorry for that =)

ok, now i know why, the way you described it is true, i have got an Via
chipset and a Pentium III 1000MHz..., now i know why, but if there is no
performance loss than ist allright =)

thanks