Robert

I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.

Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?

Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was also
no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.

Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?

Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
being either new or used.

Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system. Is
this also a money saver for Gateway?

Any insight would be appreciated.

- Robert

Trigem is a Korean manufacturer affliated with eMachines - they are
likely building for Gateway as well now.

The no-disc scenario is common to almost all brand name PCs these days,
not just Gateway. HPaq has been doing that for years, and Dell is now,
as well.

Robert wrote:
> I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
> computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.
>
> Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?
>
> Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
> several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was also
> no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.
>
> Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?
>
> Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
> being either new or used.
>
> Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system. Is
> this also a money saver for Gateway?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> - Robert

Robert

Thanks to everyone for your feedback.

- Robert

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
>computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.
>
> Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?
>
> Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
> several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was
> also no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.
>
> Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?
>
> Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
> being either new or used.
>
> Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system.
> Is this also a money saver for Gateway?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> - Robert

Are you sure you bought a new system? :)

Seriously, any system that comes with a monitor in that condition and no
system disks is a system that should be returned IMHO.

Robert;
Contact Customer Service and not tech support for the details you need.
Customer Service is more likely to have the information.

Exactly how did you order the computer?

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
>computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.
>
> Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?
>
> Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
> several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was
> also no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.
>
> Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?
>
> Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
> being either new or used.
>
> Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system.
> Is this also a money saver for Gateway?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> - Robert

As Johnny Mercer said..."Something's Got To Give", when an
irresistable force (money) hits an immovable object (quality). American
hobby/buff PC builders are buying parts at very little markup because
most of the channel is Asian and are working for margins American
businesses couldn't operate at. So you can figure that when you buy a
complete assembled system with Windows and Works and other bundled
software, for less than you would build one for, you are getting
cheaply made goods.

I learned long ago that buying name brand motherboards and cards and
power supplies from a place employing competent English speakers was a
good move. Traditionally it was still cheaper than buying a Gateway or
Dell, because those companies were buying decent stuff themselves and
building them Stateside.

Some of Gateway's business machines may be built out of good stuff but
those I have seen at Best Buy look pretty skeevy. I think that at
this point build your own is definitely worth the premium. Besides,
once you build one you usually never buy a whole machine at one time
again anyway. I have the same case and supply I had with a P-II now
running a P-IV with ten times the memory.

Trigem used to sell really cheaply built PCs at Sears for what it's
worth, and maybe Rat Shack as well.

> I agree that it's easier to get satisfaction after the sale when
> you purchase at Best Buy. However, it has been brought up on this
> board before that any Gateway machine bought at Best Buy does not
> come with an 800# for tech support. You pay for the call, and
> the level of service for your store-bought system is likely to be
> less (if that's possible these days :)

Hard though it is to believe....it is. GW has whored out their name. I
thought Martin Guitar had reached the low point with Formica guitars
bearing their name...but at least Martin is a halfway clean escort
service girl. Gateway is a Hunt's Point herpes-blistered crank whore
working red with a Ozium soaked diaphragm.

I know what you are talking about. I too just ordered my 700xl and
mine came from Mexico. Then the monitor was not the one that I wanted
and they agreed to replace it. When the "new" one came, it was out of
a electric company in Dallas. Furthermore, it came in a brown box as
opposed to the customary black and white cow box. I got in contact
with my salesman who assured me it was new. I did some investigaing
and posted everything here on this bulliten board. Through the
information I recieved here, I was able to prove that this was not a
new monitor at all They then agreed to send me a new monitor which
they finally did. I am now still waiting for themto send me the UPS
labels to send them thier old monitor back. I have had nothing but
problems with Gateway on this order. I have purchased at least 4
others in the last several years. THis company is in total
disarray now and I woudl NEVER buy another one from them. I spent
alot of money on this computer and it seems very cheaply made. the
keyboard looks like it could break at any time. the mouse looked so
cheap that I exchanged it with my old mouse to the computer that I am
replacing and threw the old one away. these people are now nothing
but liars and scammers.

Michael Brown

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:55:30 -0800, "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
>computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.
>
>Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?
>
>Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
>several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was also
>no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.
>
>Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?
>
>Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
>being either new or used.
>
>Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system. Is
>this also a money saver for Gateway?
>
>Any insight would be appreciated.
>
>- Robert

I may have paid too much, But I just picked up a Gateway 505G with a
17in LCD monitor at bestbuy for around $1100.00 and it came with the
system disk on DVD and you better believe every thing that was in the
box was brand new. The computer was made in China and the monitor in
Mexico. Also buying at BestBuy you will never have the return problem
if something is wrong. It also came with a free inkjet printer. You
can get the same system with a 17in CRT monitor for around $950.00,
Also, it was in the pretty spotted boxes. This is my second Gateway,
the first back in the 90's and it was the P5133XL that cost over
$3,000. and it was nothing but problems with a CDR problem, MB had to
be replaced etc. So I went with the build your own until now. I was
ready to build another one and after pricing the parts I started
looking at ready to go systems again and found you can buy one cheaper
than building one. So far the new Gateway is a keeper, very fast and
no problems. The reason I brought this up I was reading where some of
you were having problems with direct buying from Gateway and that
getting one from a reliable retail vendor was an option.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:32:50 GMT, Buford <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

>I know what you are talking about. I too just ordered my 700xl and
>mine came from Mexico. Then the monitor was not the one that I wanted
>and they agreed to replace it. When the "new" one came, it was out of
>a electric company in Dallas. Furthermore, it came in a brown box as
>opposed to the customary black and white cow box. I got in contact
>with my salesman who assured me it was new. I did some investigaing
>and posted everything here on this bulliten board. Through the
>information I recieved here, I was able to prove that this was not a
>new monitor at all They then agreed to send me a new monitor which
>they finally did. I am now still waiting for themto send me the UPS
>labels to send them thier old monitor back. I have had nothing but
>problems with Gateway on this order. I have purchased at least 4
>others in the last several years. THis company is in total
>disarray now and I woudl NEVER buy another one from them. I spent
>alot of money on this computer and it seems very cheaply made. the
>keyboard looks like it could break at any time. the mouse looked so
>cheap that I exchanged it with my old mouse to the computer that I am
>replacing and threw the old one away. these people are now nothing
>but liars and scammers.
>
>Michael Brown
>
>On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 21:55:30 -0800, "Robert" <rldearmond@adelphia.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I noticed that the return address on the Gateway box for my new 7200XL
>>computer is for a TRIGEM Computer out of Foothill California.
>>
>>Is TRIGEM a contract manufacturer for Gateway?
>>
>>Also, I noticed that the monitor appears to be used. There was dust on
>>several of its surfaces and the packing foam was very dirty. There was also
>>no plastic covering the monitor itself and no manual in the box.
>>
>>Has Gateway resorted to selling used equipment as new to save money?
>>
>>Tech support just gave me the run around and never admitted to the monitor
>>being either new or used.
>>
>>Also noticed that there is no system disks included with the new system. Is
>>this also a money saver for Gateway?
>>
>>Any insight would be appreciated.
>>
>>- Robert

Scott

Perry,

Perry wrote:

> I may have paid too much, But I just picked up a Gateway 505G with a
> 17in LCD monitor at bestbuy for around $1100.00 and it came with the
> system disk on DVD and you better believe every thing that was in the
> box was brand new. The computer was made in China and the monitor in
> Mexico. Also buying at BestBuy you will never have the return problem
> if something is wrong. It also came with a free inkjet printer. You
> can get the same system with a 17in CRT monitor for around $950.00,
> Also, it was in the pretty spotted boxes. This is my second Gateway,
> the first back in the 90's and it was the P5133XL that cost over
> $3,000. and it was nothing but problems with a CDR problem, MB had to
> be replaced etc. So I went with the build your own until now. I was
> ready to build another one and after pricing the parts I started
> looking at ready to go systems again and found you can buy one cheaper
> than building one. So far the new Gateway is a keeper, very fast and
> no problems. The reason I brought this up I was reading where some of
> you were having problems with direct buying from Gateway and that
> getting one from a reliable retail vendor was an option.

According to my Gateway warranty agreement I get one year free
technical support but because of the fact I have been working with
computers since my first Commodore 64 back in the 80's and have built
at least a dozen boxes so I doubt I would ever need gateway support,
except to get a replacement part, Kind of figure I would know more
about fixing any problems than some low income flunky in tech support
that works off a scrip. I still have my last home built and a Dell
notebook if it goes down so not a problem here.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:04:08 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:

>Perry,
>
>I agree that it's easier to get satisfaction after the sale when
>you purchase at Best Buy. However, it has been brought up on this
>board before that any Gateway machine bought at Best Buy does not
>come with an 800# for tech support. You pay for the call, and
>the level of service for your store-bought system is likely to be
>less (if that's possible these days :)
>
>Scott
>
>Perry wrote:
>>
>> I may have paid too much, But I just picked up a Gateway 505G with a
>> 17in LCD monitor at bestbuy for around $1100.00 and it came with the
>> system disk on DVD and you better believe every thing that was in the
>> box was brand new. The computer was made in China and the monitor in
>> Mexico. Also buying at BestBuy you will never have the return problem
>> if something is wrong. It also came with a free inkjet printer. You
>> can get the same system with a 17in CRT monitor for around $950.00,
>> Also, it was in the pretty spotted boxes. This is my second Gateway,
>> the first back in the 90's and it was the P5133XL that cost over
>> $3,000. and it was nothing but problems with a CDR problem, MB had to
>> be replaced etc. So I went with the build your own until now. I was
>> ready to build another one and after pricing the parts I started
>> looking at ready to go systems again and found you can buy one cheaper
>> than building one. So far the new Gateway is a keeper, very fast and
>> no problems. The reason I brought this up I was reading where some of
>> you were having problems with direct buying from Gateway and that
>> getting one from a reliable retail vendor was an option.

I went that same way for the same reason and all I can say is good luck. On
the two problems (bad dvd burner and bad video card) I spent approximately 6
hours on the telephone with "tech support" consisting of at least 10 calls
in each case before I reached someone with enough savvy to recognize my
problem and send the parts I wanted and needed!

"Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
> According to my Gateway warranty agreement I get one year free
> technical support but because of the fact I have been working with
> computers since my first Commodore 64 back in the 80's and have built
> at least a dozen boxes so I doubt I would ever need gateway support,
> except to get a replacement part, Kind of figure I would know more
> about fixing any problems than some low income flunky in tech support
> that works off a scrip. I still have my last home built and a Dell
> notebook if it goes down so not a problem here.
>

> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:04:08 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote:
>
>>Perry,
>>
>>I agree that it's easier to get satisfaction after the sale when
>>you purchase at Best Buy. However, it has been brought up on this
>>board before that any Gateway machine bought at Best Buy does not
>>come with an 800# for tech support. You pay for the call, and
>>the level of service for your store-bought system is likely to be
>>less (if that's possible these days :)
>>
>>Scott
>>
>>Perry wrote:
>>>
>>> I may have paid too much, But I just picked up a Gateway 505G with a
>>> 17in LCD monitor at bestbuy for around $1100.00 and it came with the
>>> system disk on DVD and you better believe every thing that was in the
>>> box was brand new. The computer was made in China and the monitor in
>>> Mexico. Also buying at BestBuy you will never have the return problem
>>> if something is wrong. It also came with a free inkjet printer. You
>>> can get the same system with a 17in CRT monitor for around $950.00,
>>> Also, it was in the pretty spotted boxes. This is my second Gateway,
>>> the first back in the 90's and it was the P5133XL that cost over
>>> $3,000. and it was nothing but problems with a CDR problem, MB had to
>>> be replaced etc. So I went with the build your own until now. I was
>>> ready to build another one and after pricing the parts I started
>>> looking at ready to go systems again and found you can buy one cheaper
>>> than building one. So far the new Gateway is a keeper, very fast and
>>> no problems. The reason I brought this up I was reading where some of
>>> you were having problems with direct buying from Gateway and that
>>> getting one from a reliable retail vendor was an option.

Hmm. Spoken like a true New Yawker, maybe from da Bronx. Accurate portrayal
though... Ben Myers

On 27 Dec 2004 14:39:31 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:

>> I agree that it's easier to get satisfaction after the sale when
>> you purchase at Best Buy. However, it has been brought up on this
>> board before that any Gateway machine bought at Best Buy does not
>> come with an 800# for tech support. You pay for the call, and
>> the level of service for your store-bought system is likely to be
>> less (if that's possible these days :)
>>

>Hard though it is to believe....it is. GW has whored out their name. I
>thought Martin Guitar had reached the low point with Formica guitars
>bearing their name...but at least Martin is a halfway clean escort
>service girl. Gateway is a Hunt's Point herpes-blistered crank whore
>working red with a Ozium soaked diaphragm.

Tim

http://www.microchp.org/shockwave/tech.swf Here is a good flash movie
about tech support. Tim
> Hmm. Spoken like a true New Yawker, maybe from da Bronx. Accurate
> portrayal
> though... Ben Myers
>
> On 27 Dec 2004 14:39:31 -0800, calcerise@hotmail.com wrote:
>

>>> I agree that it's easier to get satisfaction after the sale when
>>> you purchase at Best Buy. However, it has been brought up on this
>>> board before that any Gateway machine bought at Best Buy does not
>>> come with an 800# for tech support. You pay for the call, and
>>> the level of service for your store-bought system is likely to be
>>> less (if that's possible these days :)
>>>

>>Hard though it is to believe....it is. GW has whored out their name. I
>>thought Martin Guitar had reached the low point with Formica guitars
>>bearing their name...but at least Martin is a halfway clean escort
>>service girl. Gateway is a Hunt's Point herpes-blistered crank whore
>>working red with a Ozium soaked diaphragm.

I won't flash at tech support if they promise not to flash at me... Ben

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 02:21:35 GMT, "Tim" <nospam@verizon.net> wrote:

>http://www.microchp.org/shockwave/tech.swf Here is a good flash movie
>about tech support. Tim
>> Hmm. Spoken like a true New Yawker, maybe from da Bronx. Accurate
>> portrayal
>> though... Ben Myers

>>>Hard though it is to believe....it is. GW has whored out their name. I
>>>thought Martin Guitar had reached the low point with Formica guitars
>>>bearing their name...but at least Martin is a halfway clean escort
>>>service girl. Gateway is a Hunt's Point herpes-blistered crank whore
>>>working red with a Ozium soaked diaphragm.

TRENDING THREADS