Unauthorized samba server on my pc?? :(

amytran85

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Hello everyone, I am having some trouble trying to figure out how I might have ended up as part of a Samba sever on my WAN...until now I would have considered myself to be a pretty computer savvy chick but in this case I find myself becoming more and more confused because someone hasn't printed the Samba for Dummies handbook yet! So here I sit, (this being my first forum post ever fyi) needing to know how the heck I became part of this Samba server (Belarc Advisor has informed me of this by accident, I thought it could magically tell me the Creative chip i had on my rocketfish soundcard but thats an entirely different sob story that I'll just have to hash out myself :)
Ive searched everywhere to try to find info on this but everyone seems to want to get it to work with Windows 7 and not about any security measures we can take against it. I just really need to figure out how to
a.) find out if it really is on my pc
b.) get tangible proof so I can go open a can...
c.) get it off of my pc and then go open another can...

The name of the server is FREENAS... yes I am aware thats some sort of file sharing thing what I am concerned about is the stuff I was reading about SWAT and password monitoring.
Someone please put me out of my misery and tell me I am being paranoid or something! A THOUSAND TY'S IN ADVANCE!

Amy

amytran85

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I am hoping that my post was not too over the top or anything but I am kind of wondering if I am in the right place to be asking this question? Sorry I am new to forum posting (not reading though lol) Let me know what you need of me and I'll get it to you promptly.
I also wanted to add that I am running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 if that helps any.
Thanks again :)

amytran85

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
Thank you henydiah and saga for the response, in response to saga, yes I believe my roomate has it setup on his computer where he is at (on the third floor) I've never actually seen his setup (in respect for privacy? lol) but I see it on the network all the time. When I type 192.168.0.199 it takes me to a white screen and asks for login and password and according to the Belarc Advisory tool it runs Linux as well.

@ Henydiah, I tried reading and comprehending as much as I could from the website you linked and ended up downloading Wireshark which is mentioned within it. Wireshark had me do A LOT of reading and had me racking my brain but it has given me what I need to know and it pointed me in the right direction. Also there were a ton of settings in the router that I saw were modified, VPNs and DCHPs, but I suppose a router reset and password might do the trick? I think that a little more research and some confrontation SHOULD solve everything though. If you have any other suggestions they are very welcomed and I thank you guys again for all your help!

Since she discovered where the NAS was, it seemed likely it was a legitimate part of her network. If anything, the housemate had a security problem. If you have concerns in an identical situation, it may be as well top change the Default Gateway and DNS in your router.

AreDubya

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
There is a linux box on the network, but I never installed Samba - does it get installed by the linux box or something? No NAS. I am in the process of switching around the network anyway, so I will take your suggestion, but I want Samba off, and I can't find it.

Thanks.