migrating from old to new computer

I have my new computer on line with XP pro and Office and McAfee. But I have
lots of old files made under WordPerfect 11 etc that I need to copy to my
new machine. I read in the NYTimes that the null modem is no good for user
files. Help please on the easiest way to move my WP files to the new
computer. Using CD-RW has been awkward, but is it the best? What CD-RW
program is the best?
Thanks so much
Robert
4 answers Last reply
More about migrating computer

    Unless the old drive was partitioned with a disc utility (DiscManager,
    EZBIOS, etc.), remove the old drive and temporarily install it into the
    new one. Then copy what you need and remove the drive.

    Robert Hale wrote:
    > I have my new computer on line with XP pro and Office and McAfee. But I have
    > lots of old files made under WordPerfect 11 etc that I need to copy to my
    > new machine. I read in the NYTimes that the null modem is no good for user
    > files. Help please on the easiest way to move my WP files to the new
    > computer. Using CD-RW has been awkward, but is it the best? What CD-RW
    > program is the best?
    > Thanks so much
    > Robert

    If both computers are networked, or networkable, why not share the drive on the
    old system? Make sure the workgroups for the two computers are the same, browse
    the old computer with Windows Explorer and copy what you want where you want it.

    If both computers cannot be networked because you don't have a router there, buy
    a Category 5 crossover cable to network them temporarily until you can copy all
    your WP (and other?) files... Ben Myers

    On , "Robert Hale" <rfhale@charter.net> wrote:

    >Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:57:34 -0600
    >
    >I have my new computer on line with XP pro and Office and McAfee. But I have
    >lots of old files made under WordPerfect 11 etc that I need to copy to my
    >new machine. I read in the NYTimes that the null modem is no good for user
    >files. Help please on the easiest way to move my WP files to the new
    >computer. Using CD-RW has been awkward, but is it the best? What CD-RW
    >program is the best?
    >Thanks so much
    >Robert

    I like to just put the old hdd in there, so much faster and easier.
    Usually I leave the old hdd in there as it acts as a backup. When the
    old one fails, put in a new drive and make the old new one the slave.
    However, copying the files to media givesyou a backup copy anyway.

    A new program by Symantec, called PCMover worked very nicely for me.
    Migrated programs, program settings, and all data files. Programs work
    without tweaking on the new computer.

    Al

    "Robert Hale" <rfhale@charter.net> wrote in message
    >I have my new computer on line with XP pro and Office and McAfee. But I
    >have
    > lots of old files made under WordPerfect 11 etc that I need to copy to my
    > new machine. I read in the NYTimes that the null modem is no good for user
    > files. Help please on the easiest way to move my WP files to the new
    > computer. Using CD-RW has been awkward, but is it the best? What CD-RW
    > program is the best?
    > Thanks so much
    > Robert

Gateway Computer CD-Rom Windows XP Computers