HotBrick 401 VPN

Does anyone have experience with the Hotbrick 401 VPN appliance? I
need a system that can allow VPN access from the built in Windows VPN
client (PPTP?) for 2-3 people. I'm not a Cisco tech or anything, so
I'd like something that is fairly simple to administer. I don't want
something with a subscription for updates. I've got about 20-25
computers inside the network that will need to share the internet
connection.

How does this solution fit mine/your needs and what experience ave you
had with this appliance and HotBrick in general.

Thanks,
Nate Baxley

mackintire

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I use one at work. The thing is insane.

First the good.
Most stable router I have ever used under $500
Seriously hardened Firewall ( Ive logged and caught 3 hacking attempts)
Can be configured to do almost anything a small office network needs to do
Microsoft VPN works, however There is a bug in the password setting that restricts and password to 6 alph digits
It did not even start to slow down untill we had 20+ uses pounding it.

The bad.

Poor Documentation.
Some applications need rules created to work properly.

Most under rated router I have ever had the pleasure of using. We are upgrading to the Hotbrick 800/2 which is a huge step up, but then again our company is expanding like crazy and our experences have sold us on these Bricks.

Mackintire

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
Quick question to you all regarding the 401VPN - i just bought one, and it works great except that the name resolution doesn't work over the VPN... i can't resolve LAN names from a VPN box, and VPN names from the LAN box.. any ideas?

mackintire

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
I'm not completely sure about that one. Since I control our network I knew all the machines IP addresses. So what I did was make a mapped drive on my remote machine to the resources I use often.

You can also e-mail hotbrick.
Phone support now cost money.
I suggest you e-mail Will Johnson at HotBrick support wjohnson@hotbrick.com

If he does not know the anwser he will at least forward your consern to the programmers.

I complained about a UPNP issue and got an "It must be the software you are using" response back from the programmer. That info was relayed to me from Will, Will then offered to pass the info on to his superiors but couldn t guarrentee anything. The next month a new Firmware upgrade had the fix.

Later,

Mackintire