upgrading from ti4200 to ???

Hello all

I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?

My system is athlon 2000, 512mb ram, msi kt3 ultra mobo.

thanks in advance

Richard

On 31 May 2004 15:55:12 -0700, richardpstanton@yahoo.com (Richard
Stanton) wrote:

>Hello all
>
>I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
>what offers the best bang for my buck.

Radeon 9800pro offers the most bang for the buck.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello all
>
> I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
> what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
> I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
> explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?

DX9 cards allow to to play DX9 games with all the eye candy visible. IMHO
it's not as stunning a difference as DX7 to DX8.1, but some may disagree.
Assuming you want a speed increase from your Ti4200 along with DX9 then you
only be considering FX5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600XT level and above. Beware of
the recent rash of inexpensive Radeon 9800 Pro cards. Many of these have
128bit memory and perform lower than a 9600XT. Still OK, but a real 9800 Pro
should wallop a 9600XT. Best choice and bang for the buck....FX5900 or a
256bit 9800 Pro.

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message news:<vMPuc.11019$ig5.4251@edtnps89>...
> "Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all
> >
> > I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
> > what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
> > I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
> > explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?
>
> DX9 cards allow to to play DX9 games with all the eye candy visible. IMHO
> it's not as stunning a difference as DX7 to DX8.1, but some may disagree.
> Assuming you want a speed increase from your Ti4200 along with DX9 then you
> only be considering FX5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600XT level and above. Beware of
> the recent rash of inexpensive Radeon 9800 Pro cards. Many of these have
> 128bit memory and perform lower than a 9600XT. Still OK, but a real 9800 Pro
> should wallop a 9600XT. Best choice and bang for the buck....FX5900 or a
> 256bit 9800 Pro.

Thanks for your replies.

So if something is written to use dx9 features then my card won't
display them at all? I had assumed that it was a similar situation to
running something in software mode vs hardware mode, ie a compatible
card would just render the effects more quickly, and as you say, the
speed increase was what I was looking for. Are there any options
within the fx5900 range, eg 128/256mb ram and do you think it would be
appreciably faster than my 4200 or would it be a waste of money?

many thanks

Richard

richardpstanton@yahoo.com (Richard Stanton) wrote in
<87bc8a5f.0406020100.5177c01b@posting.google.com>:

>"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message
>> "Richard Stanton" <richardpstanton@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello all
>> >
>> > I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
>> > what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune
>> > can I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can
>> > anyone explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?
>>
>> DX9 cards allow to to play DX9 games with all the eye candy visible.
>> IMHO it's not as stunning a difference as DX7 to DX8.1, but some may
>> disagree. Assuming you want a speed increase from your Ti4200 along
>> with DX9 then you only be considering FX5700 Ultra or Radeon 9600XT
>> level and above. Beware of the recent rash of inexpensive Radeon 9800
>> Pro cards. Many of these have 128bit memory and perform lower than a
>> 9600XT. Still OK, but a real 9800 Pro should wallop a 9600XT. Best
>> choice and bang for the buck....FX5900 or a 256bit 9800 Pro.
>
>Thanks for your replies.
>
>So if something is written to use dx9 features then my card won't
>display them at all? I had assumed that it was a similar situation to
>running something in software mode vs hardware mode, ie a compatible
>card would just render the effects more quickly, and as you say, the
>speed increase was what I was looking for. Are there any options
>within the fx5900 range, eg 128/256mb ram and do you think it would be
>appreciably faster than my 4200 or would it be a waste of money?
>
>many thanks
>
>Richard

The FX5900XT will already be faster, the FX5900 Non Ultra will be faster
then the FX5900XT and the FX5900 Ultra will be decisively powerfull.

It just depends on howmuch money you have, but the FX5900XT is quite the
sweetspot.

Richard Stanton wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
> what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
> I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
> explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?
>
> My system is athlon 2000, 512mb ram, msi kt3 ultra mobo.
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Richard

The TI4200 was one of the absolute best value cards ever made. You're
going to have a hard time finding a new friend that gives you that much
mileage. First, I wouldn't get a card just yet.

Here's why...

1. Your system specs as they are now just doesn't make it worth it
overall considering point 2...

2. The GF6 6800/GT and revisions are just starting to get to stores.
And the NV45 is going to almost arrive on top of all that (which is
weird). So expect to get a really good deal on a 6800/GT around the
time Doom 3 is released (June 14, but look for sales towards 25-30).

3. The whole FX lineup was a HUGE mistake in architecture, I bought a
5600 and hate it. The hardware is there and should be a LOT more
powerful, but due to pipeline stalls and being made for an API that
doesn't exist now (pre-DX9 "cG" ideals), there's just now way to use it.

So, upgrade your cpu to a 3200 if you can (great Barton cores), get
another 512 of RAM. This will be a good upgrade you'll be happy with.
Lastly, get a 6800 based card this summer sometime, but upgrade your
system first or else you'll never feel the advantage of it.

> > I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
> > what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
> > I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
> > explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?
> >
> > My system is athlon 2000, 512mb ram, msi kt3 ultra mobo.
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Richard

Hello Richard,

I got exact the same system as you have, and recently also upgraded
from a Abit Siluro Ti 4200 4X 128mb, to a Sapphire 9800SE AIW 128Mb
(bought it at www.radeonshop.de).

You can get it for around 169 Euro atm and if you softmod it to enable
all 8 pipelines you end up with the performance of a 9800 PRO, and you
have a nice quality tv tuner on top of that. If there is one card
that can is worthy to follow up my TI4200 it was this one.

I'm confident that my system will last me at least another year with
this upgrade.

But the choise remains yours ofcource.

Greetings

n3xu7@hotmail.com (n3xu7) wrote in message news:<b3e7fd8c.0406050650.309f7828@posting.google.com>...
> > > I am contemplating upgrading from an nvidia ti4200 but am not sure
> > > what offers the best bang for my buck. Without spending a fortune can
> > > I significantly improve my system's performance? Also, can anyone
> > > explain the advantages of getting an dx9 compatible card?
> > >
> > > My system is athlon 2000, 512mb ram, msi kt3 ultra mobo.
> > >
> > > thanks in advance
> > >
> > > Richard
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> I got exact the same system as you have, and recently also upgraded
> from a Abit Siluro Ti 4200 4X 128mb, to a Sapphire 9800SE AIW 128Mb
> (bought it at www.radeonshop.de).
>
> You can get it for around 169 Euro atm and if you softmod it to enable
> all 8 pipelines you end up with the performance of a 9800 PRO, and you
> have a nice quality tv tuner on top of that. If there is one card
> that can is worthy to follow up my TI4200 it was this one.
>
> I'm confident that my system will last me at least another year with
> this upgrade.
>
> But the choise remains yours ofcource.
>
> Greetings

Thanks for your replies.

I have had a few people advise me to buy another 512mb of ram to
improve performance. I wasn't aware that this would help unless my pc
was short of it, and was swapping out. Any thoughts?

thanks

Richard

TRENDING THREADS