omega drivers stuffed up my system

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

did a fresh install of w2kpro +sp4 only a couple of days ago and everything
was going swimingly. trying the thief 3 demo i saw mention that the omega
45.23s helped this game play well and gave them a go but they didnt help so
i uninstalled them.
now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause then
a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
it just loops like that endlessly. ive tried booting in safe mode and vga
mode and no joy.
if anyone has experienced this and knows any fix i'd appreciate it -
otherwise this a warning to anyone thinking of using omega's. i run a clean
and tidy pc - the kind that stays on for days at a time with no slowdown and
no lockups and now ive got to format and reinstall because of these friggin
drivers.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 08:29:28 GMT, "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote:

>did a fresh install of w2kpro +sp4 only a couple of days ago and everything
>was going swimingly. trying the thief 3 demo i saw mention that the omega
>45.23s helped this game play well and gave them a go but they didnt help so
>i uninstalled them.
>now on booting up the "meter bar " fills up and i get a 10 second pause then
>a brief blue screen and the pc reboots.
>it just loops like that endlessly. ive tried booting in safe mode and vga
>mode and no joy.
>if anyone has experienced this and knows any fix i'd appreciate it -
>otherwise this a warning to anyone thinking of using omega's. i run a clean
>and tidy pc - the kind that stays on for days at a time with no slowdown and
>no lockups and now ive got to format and reinstall because of these friggin
>drivers.

Forgot to do a "Create System-Restore" or Drive-Image backup before
playing with drivers ? How sad.... :-(

Elememtary driver-install rule #101:- Backup critical system-elements
before the installation.

John Lewis

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Windows 2000 doesnt have a system restore feature as
far as I know. Over the past 12 months Ive had a GF4 and an ATI card in my
PC and tried over a dozen differant drivers - Add/Remove has worked fine
every time. Its only when I used these Omegas that Ive had a problem - I had
one set months ago that simply refused to install and this set that
installed and worked but buggered up my system when I uninstalled them.
The real lesson is to avoid non-official drivers.

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:<Y3hvc.1870$DV2.21781682@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> Windows 2000 doesnt have a system restore feature as
> far as I know. Over the past 12 months Ive had a GF4 and an ATI card in my
> PC and tried over a dozen differant drivers - Add/Remove has worked fine
> every time. Its only when I used these Omegas that Ive had a problem - I had
> one set months ago that simply refused to install and this set that
> installed and worked but buggered up my system when I uninstalled them.
> The real lesson is to avoid non-official drivers.

Of course if you are to lazy to read the "omega readme" then indeed
his drivers are not for you!

In his driver readme he says "after un-installing the drivers restart
in safemode and use the special drivercleaner installed"

this means that omega brings his own drivercleaner indeed...

And if you are to dumb to understand that...there is always "my first
driver"

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Read the original post and you'll see that after uninstalling the Omega's my
machine couldnt even boot into safe mode.
Ive tried booting to Safe Mode, VGA mode and Last Known Good Configuration
and nothing worked - just a
loop of continuous reboots. Ive been working on PCs too long to call myself
"Dark Avenger" or take abuse
from purile teenagers so stick it where the sun don't shine Sonny.

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:<DMqvc.2477$_k.26492203@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> Read the original post and you'll see that after uninstalling the Omega's my
> machine couldnt even boot into safe mode.
> Ive tried booting to Safe Mode, VGA mode and Last Known Good Configuration
> and nothing worked - just a
> loop of continuous reboots. Ive been working on PCs too long to call myself
> "Dark Avenger" or take abuse
> from purile teenagers so stick it where the sun don't shine Sonny.

The only time that such bootup problems happened to me wich when about
5 different versions of drivers had made a spaghetti of windows...

Booting into Safe mode can indeed fail if you talk about spaghetti...

Yup, drivers can be a bitch!

Paul

Splendid

Ok to help save you some headache try the following:

Boot from your W2k cd,

do not do a repair from the original screen.

when windows scans your drives, allow it to find the OS and select "Repair"
from that screen.

That'll teach you to use third-party drivers...

BTW, all Omega really does is crank down the LOD bias so the textures show
more detail up close.