Lone train engine

While we're on the subject of trains, let me point out to you PC guys (since
I told the PS2ers, ages ago) that you'll have a unique opportunity to snag a
lone engine during the last mission (End of the Line).

Because it's so light, it accelerates quickly, and, being unencumbered with
cars, it can derail spectacularly (unlike the ones with cars that usually
just slide off the rails and stop). During one of my tries, it ran off the
tracks, hit a rock face, flew high in the air out over a valley, and tumbled
down the valley, sliding to a long stop.

If you want to know how to get it, see below (after the spoiler space).

SPOILER SPACE

As you chase Tenpenny's fire truck, you'll approach Unity Station. At
approximately that first bend east of Unity, you'll pass a lone engine,
going eastward. Forget the mission and follow the engine. It stops, and
the engineer bails. It's yours. (You fail the mission of course, but so
what.)

If you want to try to duplicate my spectacular jump, floor it to the east.
(You might have to start back further; not sure.) When you come out of that
first tunnel north of LS, you should derail at the bend, and, if you're
lucky, hit that big rock face and go flying.

Try other bends, too. It's quite entertaining.

Once the engine is just lying on the ground, you can push it around easily.
It's almost frictionless. Block traffic with it on the freeway in LV, for
example.

Keep a Save just before End of the Line so you can play with this. It's the
only way to get a lone engine that I know of.

--cleve

"Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote in message

> Keep a Save just before End of the Line so you can play with this. It's
> the
> only way to get a lone engine that I know of.

SPOILER SPACE

Actually, keep a save just before the fire engine chase, so that you don't
have to repeat the long first part of the mssion. (Yes, you can save
MID-MISSION in End of the Line -- right after you emerge from the building.
When you start from the save, you'll start at the fire truck chase. It's
VERY useful to know this.)

--cleve

In message <fpBye.23125$8o.23055@fed1read03>
"Cleve" <clevens@cox.net> wrote:

> Try other bends, too. It's quite entertaining.

Funny you should mention that....

After you first posted on how to get the engine-only train I had great
fun de-railing it going into San Fierro (Clockwise round the state) and
Las Venturas (Going anti-clockwise round SA).

The SF crash was great, a large truck appeared on one of the level
crossings and as you rightly stated in can get up a better deal of
acceleration than the longer car-trains.

Cheers,
Rob