A good 802.11 network monitor utility?

a b C Monitor
April 7, 2004 9:53:03 PM

Hi, I'm looking for a wireless network monitor utility for my IPAQ
5450/PPC2003. In particular something that shows the status of 802.1x
authentication, decent signal strength indication, access point information,
dhcp information etc. The built in support leaves me scratching my head most
of the time as to why my connection is getting dropped.

Thanks,
Nick.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 7, 2004 10:14:55 PM

Something like this?

http://40th.com/pic/index.html

Careful! 17,000 words (if a picture's worth a 1000).

NB:
>The built in support leaves me scratching my head most
>of the time as to why my connection is getting dropped.

If only activesync is getting dropped, welcome to the jungle.
I have a half-baked theory that

h:\>ce -db1
1 500173D S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at 20040407-202601

doesn't happen soon enough and AS shoots itself. In other words,
this notification is supposed to happen BY 2026 (and 1 second) or
AS jumps off a cliff. I said half baked, but when I look at the
AS panel (and take notice), it almost shows "Errors" and a time
identical to this. It's that that surprising considering the
problems many have with alarms, which is related to this db, too.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

Yes the picture looks interesting - is this something I can get hold of? I
couldn't tell if 802.1x is tracked though.

As to when this happens, its not necessarily when ActiveSync is running.
Just sitting there idle, the connection will drop even at full signal
strength indication. Mostly what I'm doing over wireless is AS, so it is
mostly AS that bombs half way through, but its always (appears to be)
because the wireless has gone down.

Nick.

<hel@40th.com> wrote in message
news:o cjBobQHEHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Something like this?
>
> http://40th.com/pic/index.html
>
> Careful! 17,000 words (if a picture's worth a 1000).
>
> NB:
> >The built in support leaves me scratching my head most
> >of the time as to why my connection is getting dropped.
>
> If only activesync is getting dropped, welcome to the jungle.
> I have a half-baked theory that
>
> h:\>ce -db1
> 1 500173D S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at
20040407-202601

> doesn't happen soon enough and AS shoots itself. In other words,
> this notification is supposed to happen BY 2026 (and 1 second) or
> AS jumps off a cliff. I said half baked, but when I look at the
> AS panel (and take notice), it almost shows "Errors" and a time
> identical to this. It's that that surprising considering the
> problems many have with alarms, which is related to this db, too.
>
> --
> 40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
> iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

a b C Monitor
April 8, 2004 9:09:30 AM

What connection cares? I know AS commits suicide when it
detects a connection loss, but, for example, when I'm on
the fringes of my radio and the connection breaks up, I
rebuild it, then and there, and the streaming app (iPlay)
doesn't notice or care. Matter of fact, I can even pull
one radio out, even while streaming bytes at that moment,
and put a different radio (radio or even wired ethernet) in
and it doesn't care one bit (you'd need to use a static IP,
or at least get the same IP from your dchp server).

So, what connection cares? Or better, what apps cares that
a connection has been broken?

NB [Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:42:17 -0700]:
>As to when this happens, its not necessarily when ActiveSync is running.
>Just sitting there idle, the connection will drop even at full signal
>strength indication. Mostly what I'm doing over wireless is AS, so it is
>mostly AS that bombs half way through, but its always (appears to be)
>because the wireless has gone down.

>> h:\>ce -db1
>> 1 500173D S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at
>20040407-202601
>>
>> doesn't happen soon enough and AS shoots itself. In other words,
>> this notification is supposed to happen BY 2026 (and 1 second) or
>> AS jumps off a cliff. I said half baked, but when I look at the
>> AS panel (and take notice), it almost shows "Errors" and a time
>> identical to this. It's that that surprising considering the
>> problems many have with alarms, which is related to this db, too.

BTW, AS does this notification event request every 15 minutes (ie,
at 2026+0015 a new entry appears, the old 2026 entry is gone by
then since it (supposedly) fired). It's when it fires and no one
is there to deal with it (in a timely manner?) than AS thinks the
connection is dead and disconnects. The "Errors", if you tap it,
says something like, <Disconnected by user request>.

Not that knowing this, even if it has any bearing, will do any good.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 8, 2004 12:30:02 PM

I haven't really used wireless with other apps, mostly active sync, so I
haven't tried what you describe.

In terms of connection, I think we're saying different things. What I mean
by connected is getting and active connection to the network (the 2 arrows
status), not the application level TCP connection to a server.

Is the software available for download?

> What connection cares? I know AS commits suicide when it
> detects a connection loss, but, for example, when I'm on
> the fringes of my radio and the connection breaks up, I
> rebuild it, then and there, and the streaming app (iPlay)
> doesn't notice or care. Matter of fact, I can even pull
> one radio out, even while streaming bytes at that moment,
> and put a different radio (radio or even wired ethernet) in
> and it doesn't care one bit (you'd need to use a static IP,
> or at least get the same IP from your dchp server).
>
> So, what connection cares? Or better, what apps cares that
> a connection has been broken?
>
> NB [Wed, 7 Apr 2004 20:42:17 -0700]:
> >As to when this happens, its not necessarily when ActiveSync is running.
> >Just sitting there idle, the connection will drop even at full signal
> >strength indication. Mostly what I'm doing over wireless is AS, so it is
> >mostly AS that bombs half way through, but its always (appears to be)
> >because the wireless has gone down.
>
> >> h:\>ce -db1
> >> 1 500173D S:0 T:2 "repllog.exe" /remote /all /h /p:all at
> >20040407-202601
> >>
> >> doesn't happen soon enough and AS shoots itself. In other words,
> >> this notification is supposed to happen BY 2026 (and 1 second) or
> >> AS jumps off a cliff. I said half baked, but when I look at the
> >> AS panel (and take notice), it almost shows "Errors" and a time
> >> identical to this. It's that that surprising considering the
> >> problems many have with alarms, which is related to this db, too.
>
> BTW, AS does this notification event request every 15 minutes (ie,
> at 2026+0015 a new entry appears, the old 2026 entry is gone by
> then since it (supposedly) fired). It's when it fires and no one
> is there to deal with it (in a timely manner?) than AS thinks the
> connection is dead and disconnects. The "Errors", if you tap it,
> says something like, <Disconnected by user request>.
>
> Not that knowing this, even if it has any bearing, will do any good.
>
> --
> 40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
> iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

Anonymous
a b C Monitor
April 8, 2004 3:21:49 PM

One sure way I can force a double-arrow-X is by releasing
my dhcp ip lease. As soon as I renew I get it back (nothing
odd there). Use a static IP if you aren't, for a start.
I think cam.com's vxutil will brief you on ip lease time
left, so check that out if you think you're getting a
short lease (or if you know how to change it at your
dhcp server, make sure you don't have it set to a short
time). Going out of range (12 walls down) I get the D-A-X,
too. Coming back gets things back to normal.

No, nothing currently available for download. "Very soon"(tm).
--
!