Doesn't me card support AGP 8X

I have an MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 128ddr video card and I just upgraded my CPU
that now supports 8X. So my questions is, doesn't my card support 8X or just
4X? Right now it says 8X. If it does, what do I need to do to jump it to 8X?
Thank much.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Mark G." <cadman_meg@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have an MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 128ddr video card and I just upgraded my
CPU
> that now supports 8X. So my questions is, doesn't my card support 8X or
just
> 4X? Right now it says 8X. If it does, what do I need to do to jump it to
8X?
> Thank much.

No Geforce3 card supports AGP 8X as the spec was not around when it was
designed. And it can't be retractively flashed into the card if that's what
your asking. You're not missing anything. Most cards have trouble filling
the AGP4X bandwidth, let alone 8X. I'm not really expecting a quantum leap
with PCI Express either.

Thank you for the quick response. Very helpful group here. Hope I can do the
same for someone soon.
"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "Mark G." <cadman_meg@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I have an MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 128ddr video card and I just upgraded my
> CPU
> > that now supports 8X. So my questions is, doesn't my card support 8X or
> just
> > 4X? Right now it says 8X. If it does, what do I need to do to jump it to
> 8X?
> > Thank much.
>
> No Geforce3 card supports AGP 8X as the spec was not around when it was
> designed. And it can't be retractively flashed into the card if that's
what
> your asking. You're not missing anything. Most cards have trouble filling
> the AGP4X bandwidth, let alone 8X. I'm not really expecting a quantum leap
> with PCI Express either.

"Mark G." <cadman_meg@comcast.net> wrote in
<06qdnVqpYKzgMl7d4p2dnA@comcast.com>:

>I have an MSI GeForce 3 Ti 200 128ddr video card and I just upgraded my
>CPU that now supports 8X. So my questions is, doesn't my card support 8X
>or just 4X? Right now it says 8X. If it does, what do I need to do to
>jump it to 8X? Thank much.

Your CPU won't give the motherboard 8x AGP, after all it's your motherboard
that defines the AGP speed.

But you won't notice anything different anyway between AGP 8x and 4x
....since most cards..and surely the GF3 ( wich is not designed for AGP 8x so
it max runs at AGP 4x ) are to slow to actually use such amount of data!

4X only.

--
DaveW