Non Ultra 6800 -- single or double slot design?

Is the non-ultra version of the GF6800 going to be a single slot design
(i.e. will I be able to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot?) I'm using
ALL my slots at the moment, so I need a card that only requires a single
slot (unlike the 6800 ultra.) I have a VERY short card in this slot at the
moment (a NIC) so it doesn't interfere with cooling.

Thanks,

Larry

Single slotted.

--
DaveW

"Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Is the non-ultra version of the GF6800 going to be a single slot design
> (i.e. will I be able to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot?) I'm using
> ALL my slots at the moment, so I need a card that only requires a single
> slot (unlike the 6800 ultra.) I have a VERY short card in this slot at
the
> moment (a NIC) so it doesn't interfere with cooling.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry

Whew that's lucky, I ordered one of these and I have a microatx mainboard,
so can't afford to lose a pci slot!

> Single slotted.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Larry L." <larryalREMOVE2REPLY@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > Is the non-ultra version of the GF6800 going to be a single slot design
> > (i.e. will I be able to use the PCI slot next to the AGP slot?) I'm
using
> > ALL my slots at the moment, so I need a card that only requires a single
> > slot (unlike the 6800 ultra.) I have a VERY short card in this slot at
> the
> > moment (a NIC) so it doesn't interfere with cooling.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Larry

Sorry dude you will have to give up this slot next to the AGP, me thinks.

They normally share with the boards i have been using.

$0.02

This is not as much of an issue as it used to be. Current AGP and PCI specs
mandate sharing, and I find that this is not an issue on either of my
current systems, both of which use AGP cards (GF4 Ti4600's) AND have all
their PCI slots filled. It may still depend on the specific hardware, but
in many (if not most) cases these days, the advice to keep the first PCI
slot empty is a simply holdover from previous hardware and OS's. You'll
find that most people advising this have not even tried it in quite a while.

That said, there are also some motherboards that don't share the AGP
interrupt (like the Asus P4TE.)

Larry

"interconnect" <inter_connect@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry dude you will have to give up this slot next to the AGP, me thinks.
>
> They normally share with the boards i have been using.
>
> $0.02

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

> This is not as much of an issue as it used to be. Current AGP and PCI specs
> mandate sharing, and I find that this is not an issue on either of my
> current systems, both of which use AGP cards (GF4 Ti4600's) AND have all
> their PCI slots filled. It may still depend on the specific hardware, but
> in many (if not most) cases these days, the advice to keep the first PCI
> slot empty is a simply holdover from previous hardware and OS's. You'll
> find that most people advising this have not even tried it in quite a while.
>
> That said, there are also some motherboards that don't share the AGP
> interrupt (like the Asus P4TE.)
>
> Larry
>
> "interconnect" <inter_connect@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry dude you will have to give up this slot next to the AGP, me thinks.
> >
> > They normally share with the boards i have been using.
> >
> > $0.02

There are some MBs that AGP share the IRQ with PCI slot 1. But still
it's a good idea to keep PCI slot 1 empty to give some 'air' room to
help cool that hot AGP graphic card. If there is a PCI card in slot 1
then the hot air might just simple circulate in the 'pocket' between
the two card and would lack of cool air coming in to the video card.