Away with HTML postings to newsgroups..... please

I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.

Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
unnecessary for newsgroup postings.

Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.

John Lewis

stuff

> I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.
>
> Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
> unnecessary for newsgroup postings.

Hardly think it a big performance hit in the days of broadband is it?

> Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.

Stop living in the 1990's and upgrade that old 56k V90 WinModem! :p

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote in message news:<40c73cd2.2686022@news.verizon.net>...
> I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.
>
> Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
> unnecessary for newsgroup postings.
>
> Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.
>
> John Lewis

All the newsreaders I use, be it xnews be it Google can only do
text.... and will not show HTML as HTML..

For all those little newbies indeed... HTML is for websites... and
maybe if effeciently used for email..but not for newsgroups.
Newsgroups are TXT and BINAIRY ...

I understand that you are illiterate and can't change simple settings
in outlook express.. but the option "Textmode" is closer by then you
think and once applied all your messages to newsgroups should go in..
TEXTMODE!

John Lewis wrote:

> I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.
>
> Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
> unnecessary for newsgroup postings.
>
> Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.
>
> John Lewis

Here we go again.. Flame on! (I'll start =)

First, I don't really believe the 'net is running so dangerously low on
bandwidth, that a few 8k message posts are going to bring it to its knees.

Secondly, it's not at all "totally unnecessary" for *all* occasions.
Sometimes, a nicely formatted HTML message can be much clearer and even
more concise than a plain text post with attempts to implement 'fake'
formatting features like *BOLD* or _underlined_ text. Or worse, some
chart-like data that could be precisely and quicky converyed via a small
table, versus some god-awful ascii line art.

Anyway, if you are such a proponent of "the way it should be," then, by
all means, sell your car and buy a horse. Move that toilet back to the
outhouse and enjoy your MSDOS-based PC, with your 16-color video device.
The rest of us are just going to go ahead and move on, using a NG
reader that has been updated in the past 6 years. See ya back in 1993!

--
cK

(you'll notice that my post in in text. i do try to respect the norm in
any newsgroup i participate in, but to just blast people for
non-conformity is stupid and a waste.)

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:16:38 -0500, cK-Gunslinger <cK@nowayinhell.com>
wrote:

>Here we go again.. Flame on! (I'll start =)
>
>First, I don't really believe the 'net is running so dangerously low on
>bandwidth, that a few 8k message posts are going to bring it to its knees.
>
>Secondly, it's not at all "totally unnecessary" for *all* occasions.
>Sometimes, a nicely formatted HTML message can be much clearer and even
>more concise than a plain text post with attempts to implement 'fake'
>formatting features like *BOLD* or _underlined_ text. Or worse, some
>chart-like data that could be precisely and quicky converyed via a small
>table, versus some god-awful ascii line art.
>
>Anyway, if you are such a proponent of "the way it should be," then, by
>all means, sell your car and buy a horse. Move that toilet back to the
>outhouse and enjoy your MSDOS-based PC, with your 16-color video device.
> The rest of us are just going to go ahead and move on, using a NG
>reader that has been updated in the past 6 years. See ya back in 1993!

Newsreaders are TEXT based... HTML makes the message garbaled. When I
see such posts, I ignore them.

If someone wants to POST in color and BOLDFACE, there is AIM, MSMIM,
and countless message boards.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- 15yr old boy in Washington was disciplined for drawing such images.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist. (This makes sense?)
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:13:48 GMT, "sTuFf" <20@something.com> wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.
>>
>> Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
>> unnecessary for newsgroup postings.
>
>Hardly think it a big performance hit in the days of broadband is it?
>
>> Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.
>
>Stop living in the 1990's and upgrade that old 56k V90 WinModem! :p

Actually I have broadband, and pretty HTML graphics do nothing for the

content of the message. The HTML posts also seem to contribute less
meaningful discussion to message threads, from my recent samplings
of their contents. I wonder if there is any correlation...........

John Lewis

cK-Gunslinger wrote:

> John Lewis wrote:
>
>> I have just opened six HTML postings to this newsgroup in succession.
>>
>> Plain text please. HTML is a huge waste of net bandwidth and totally
>> unnecessary for newsgroup postings.
>>
>> Must be a silly bunch of newbies in the newsgroup world.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

> Here we go again.. Flame on! (I'll start =)
>
> First, I don't really believe the 'net is running so dangerously low on
> bandwidth, that a few 8k message posts are going to bring it to its knees.

However, this is not a binary newsgroup. Further, every hotel does not have
broadband access in the rooms. In fact most don't.

There is something called "manners". Nobody is going to die or put you in
jail if you drink your soup from the bowl instead of using the spoon, but
you also are probably not going to get invited back to that household if
you do. Unfortunately, it seems fashionable these days to be rag-mannered.
The ultimate result of this is often legislation which is intended to force
people to show good manners.

> Secondly, it's not at all "totally unnecessary" for *all* occasions.
> Sometimes, a nicely formatted HTML message can be much clearer and even
> more concise than a plain text post with attempts to implement 'fake'
> formatting features like *BOLD* or _underlined_ text.

If it's that important to you get a browser that interprets attribute tags
for you.

> Or worse, some
> chart-like data that could be precisely and quicky converyed via a small
> table, versus some god-awful ascii line art.

Huh? One can format tables just fine using spaces or tabs. If you mean a
chart then provide a link to a web site or post it in a binary group.

> Anyway, if you are such a proponent of "the way it should be," then, by
> all means, sell your car and buy a horse. Move that toilet back to the
> outhouse and enjoy your MSDOS-based PC, with your 16-color video device.
> The rest of us are just going to go ahead and move on, using a NG
> reader that has been updated in the past 6 years. See ya back in 1993!

Well, now, folks like you can try to "move on". But in point of fact what
you are achieving is a reduction in the audience for your posts. Further,
if you continue to post HTML to binary newsgroups eventually just about
everybody is going to killfile you.

While things change that does not mean that all things must change or that
changing them is a good idea.

> --
> cK
>

> (you'll notice that my post in in text. i do try to respect the norm in
> any newsgroup i participate in, but to just blast people for
> non-conformity is stupid and a waste.)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)