Upgrading my wifes PC!

Hi all

My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )

P3 550Mhz
256Mb PC100
24GB total HDD space
Plextor 8/4/32
16x DVD ROM
Soundblaster Live
Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb

She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
cheaply.

I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?

She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
downstairs.

i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )

So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?

Regards

Kerry

I don't think the vid card change will help you much. You would be better
to buy a motherboard/cpu that will get you up to 1.5ghz or more. Your best
bet would be to sell the system on ebay (or in the classifieds) and take the
money and put it towards a cheap dell/hp system. Even the $500 systems they
sell will smoke what your wife has now.

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
> stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )
>
> P3 550Mhz
> 256Mb PC100
> 24GB total HDD space
> Plextor 8/4/32
> 16x DVD ROM
> Soundblaster Live
> Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb
>
> She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
> put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
> cheaply.
>

> I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
> really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?
>
> She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
> downstairs.
>
> i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
> until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
> DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )
>
> So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?
>
> Regards
>
> Kerry

Why do you tell us that its your wifes pc ???

Marni

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi all
>
> My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
> stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )
>
> P3 550Mhz
> 256Mb PC100
> 24GB total HDD space
> Plextor 8/4/32
> 16x DVD ROM
> Soundblaster Live
> Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb
>
> She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
> put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
> cheaply.
>

> I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
> really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?
>
> She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
> downstairs.
>
> i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
> until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
> DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )
>
> So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?
>
> Regards
>
> Kerry

ceebee

me!! <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

> Hi all
>
> My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
> stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )
>
> P3 550Mhz
> 256Mb PC100
> 24GB total HDD space
> Plextor 8/4/32
> 16x DVD ROM
> Soundblaster Live
> Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb

Upgrading this system with a faster processor or video card is a waste
of money.
Buy a new motherboard, processor and memory, which might be more
effective.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

"MKH1" <mkhenrichsen_@mail.dk> wrote in message
> Why do you tell us that its your wifes pc ???
>
> Marni

Why do YOU want to know the answer to that question? ;) :p

Greetz Rubbie

"me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

" She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can put
her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly cheaply. "

If you upgraded around your current motherboard, a Ti4200 would still be
held back by even the fastest 133FSB Pentium 3 and 512MB PC133 SDRAM, if
your motherboard supports them.

You didn't say what motherboard and operating system you have, what
form-factor (ATX? Micro-ATX?), or whether the operating system came
pre-installed or not. This all factors on the potential for a motherboard
upgrade.

If you did consider a motherboard upgrade, you would need to make sure you
could re-install your operating system afterwards. You could sell some of
your hardware at www.ebay.co.uk , getting £15 to £20 for the Ti200, £20 to
£25 for the RAM, and £10 to £20 for the P3 with motherboard.

For an extra £50 to £100, you can then build a new system. I would
recommend:

- A good 266/333/400 FSB Socket A motherboard (for upgrade potential)
- 512MB DDR (PC3200 isn't much more than PC2100 or PC2700, and gives upgrade
potential for the CPU)
- An Athlon XP (at least 2000+, but whatever you can afford)
- A good graphics card (best in your budget)

You can measure most newer graphics cards against each other at
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/

That is for me to know, and you to find out... :-o ;-)

Marni

> That is for me to know, and you to find out... :-o ;-)
>
> Marni
>

> "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "MKH1" <mkhenrichsen_@mail.dk> wrote in message
> > > Why do you tell us that its your wifes pc ???
> > >
> > > Marni
> >
> > Why do YOU want to know the answer to that question? ;) :p
> >
> > Greetz Rubbie

No comments ;)

and take the
> money and put it towards a cheap dell/hp system. Even the $500 systems they
> sell will smoke what your wife has now.

And a $500 home built PC will smoke a $500 Dell.

Jeff

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message

> and take the
> > money and put it towards a cheap dell/hp system. Even the $500 systems
they
> > sell will smoke what your wife has now.
>
> And a $500 home built PC will smoke a $500 Dell.
>
> Jeff

Not if they cant build their own pc it won't, like about half the clowns out
there that try to and don't have a clue...

Not having the skills to build your own pc is the exact reason that Dell,
Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc. are so successful in case you hadnt noticed.

> Not having the skills to build your own pc is the exact reason that Dell,
> Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc. are so successful in case you hadnt noticed.

Doesn't change the fact that a person can build one Hell of a lot better
computer if you pick the parts yourself. For starters, you can
choose a mobo that allows the CPU to run at full speed.

Jeff B

> Doesn't change the fact that a person can build one Hell of a lot better
> computer if you pick the parts yourself. For starters, you can
> choose a mobo that allows the CPU to run at full speed.
>
> Jeff B

Thnx for showing you have no idea wtf you are talking about...

You've made it clear that 'building your own
computer' is a mysterious scarey deal, and so
you play it safe buy a pre built. But many
in this NG know which end of a screw driver to hold,
so we build our own. It's not that hard,
try it sometime.

Jeff B

>Not having the skills to build your own pc is the exact reason that Dell,
>Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc. are so successful in case you hadnt noticed.

Really??? I always thought it was because most people were too lazy. So the
real reason is because most people are stupid AND lazy. Thank you for
correcting me.

ThE AnArKrIsT wrote:

>>Not having the skills to build your own pc is the exact reason that Dell,
>>Gateway, HP, Compaq, etc. are so successful in case you hadnt noticed.
>
> Really??? I always thought it was because most people were too lazy. So
> the
> real reason is because most people are stupid AND lazy. Thank you for
> correcting me.

Are most of their sale to end users or to businesses? Me building a
computer is one thing, a major brokerage house building their own is quite
another.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

The machine is more than fast enough for Q3. UT is more CPU-dependent, so
get a new CPU + motherboard for cheap. Plan it well and it'll cost you less
than $100. AMD Duron 1200 + ECS K7S5A comes to mind.

> You've made it clear that 'building your own
> computer' is a mysterious scarey deal, and so
> you play it safe buy a pre built. But many
> in this NG know which end of a screw driver to hold,
> so we build our own. It's not that hard,
> try it sometime.

OK moron listen up...

I build all my own PCs, I'm an MSCE, Novel Certified Engineer, the works...
Here's what I spend most of my freetime doing..fixing homemade pcs for
people that don't have a friggin clue how to correctly install and configure
the hw AND sw. People over the age of 40-45 didint grow up with PCs so they
most of them just don't have the skills. That shouldnt have to prevent them
from being users.

I have all the software legally too, so I can build my own and save money.

You price a new system with a legally purchased OS, and maybe Office STD, or
MS Works, and you can't build it as cheap as the big few pc makers mostly
due to the cost of software. Its not the hardware that is more expensive.

There are alot of people out there that Dell, Gateway etc.. make perfectly
good and reliable systems for, and they don't ahve to know how to put it
together themselves. I'm not talking about some little pimply faced little
gamer, I'm talking about real people here.

> You price a new system with a legally purchased OS, and maybe Office STD, or
> MS Works, and you can't build it as cheap as the big few pc makers

Pure BS.
Everytime I get a proposal from a guy wanting me to build him
a computer, I cost it out, then I go to the Dell site and
get an official 'same machine' quote, then I email my proposal and Dells
to the guy for comparison. I can always build it for 15-30%
less than Dell.....with legally purchased software.
If I'm wrong, give me a spec and I'll prove it.

I also point out that Dell doesn't build a custom PC, as you have no choice
as to mobo. You must use an Intel mobo which won't allow the CPU clock
to be
adjusted to full speed.

Jeff B
PS...you shouldn't be so defensive about your decision let Dell
build your computer for you. It's Ok.

jeff b wrote:

>> You price a new system with a legally purchased OS, and maybe Office STD,
>> or MS Works, and you can't build it as cheap as the big few pc makers
>
> Pure BS.
> Everytime I get a proposal from a guy wanting me to build him
> a computer, I cost it out, then I go to the Dell site and
> get an official 'same machine' quote, then I email my proposal and Dells
> to the guy for comparison. I can always build it for 15-30%
> less than Dell.....with legally purchased software.
> If I'm wrong, give me a spec and I'll prove it.
>
> I also point out that Dell doesn't build a custom PC, as you have no
> choice
> as to mobo. You must use an Intel mobo which won't allow the CPU clock
> to be
> adjusted to full speed.
>
> Jeff B
> PS...you shouldn't be so defensive about your decision let Dell
> build your computer for you. It's Ok.

If you are selling overclocked machines to your customers and claiming that
instead of being overclocked you are running the processor at "full speed"
then it's not going to be long before one them has his lawyer hand you your
balls for a bow-tie.

Further, you seem to be doing this with bargain-basement bottom-feeder
components.

God help your customers. It's people like you who give computer dealers a
bad name.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Expert

I can to, but most of my customer want a cheap computer that they can OC the
hell out of. Therefore I take extreme care in choosing the right products,
brands, and do allot of research on production lots. They buy the equipment
I just put it together and test it for there specs. If it does not OC to
there specification we try different combinations according to there pocket
book. I don't know about you but by the time we finish they have a better
overall system than any thing over the counter at about the same price.

The trick is to do the research, get the right products, and that changes
monthly. I have found that most people will skip cost on a PSU and buy the
best memory, cpu, mother board combination, and midrange video card. Only to
have there cheap PSU cause problems within months after the system is built.
I have a hard time convincing them that the PSU is very important to the
whole system in terms of stability.

I wish Dell, Compaq, and HP would stress this in there personal computer
lines but generally they will install a cheap PSU in a highend system with
poor case cooling characteristics which will decrease the life span of the
system and stability. It's a whole different story when it comes to there
server line of computers. I guess that they will put there money in what
yields high returns and forget the rest including cheap workgroup computers.
IT's spend most of there time on the maintaining cheap workgroup computer on
low budgets with locked in contracts (they can't build their own or replace
them with better units per the contract).

> > You price a new system with a legally purchased OS, and maybe Office
STD, or
> > MS Works, and you can't build it as cheap as the big few pc makers
>
> Pure BS.
> Everytime I get a proposal from a guy wanting me to build him
> a computer, I cost it out, then I go to the Dell site and
> get an official 'same machine' quote, then I email my proposal and Dells
> to the guy for comparison. I can always build it for 15-30%
> less than Dell.....with legally purchased software.
> If I'm wrong, give me a spec and I'll prove it.
>
> I also point out that Dell doesn't build a custom PC, as you have no
choice
> as to mobo. You must use an Intel mobo which won't allow the CPU clock
> to be
> adjusted to full speed.
>
> Jeff B
> PS...you shouldn't be so defensive about your decision let Dell
> build your computer for you. It's Ok.

Expert

I built one for my daughter with a ASUS equilvent MB and a AMD 1200 Duron.
I should have bought a nforce2 ultra MB and a AMD 1800 Duron with DDR ram
and sold the old SDRAM 133 I had. I had a geforce3 TI200 I put in it and it
works quite well even for UT2003 just should have used a better MB and
processor. Also had the cheapo PSU that came with orginal case go bad. I
had to replace the PSU and went ahead a replaced the case at the same time,
only cost a few dollars more for a new case. Even with the new case the
whole system ASUS MB, PSU, new pc case, and Duron CPU only cost ~$150.00. I
had the video card, memory (SDRAM PC133), network card, monitor, keyboard,
mouse, and heat sink. I would have only spent and additional $70.00 if I
had bought a nforce2 MB, DDR 2100 ram, and 1800 Duron. Btw don't use ebay
use pricwatch or dealtime, as you can read ratings on the supplier by the
customer, good ratings mean that you can return the items if they don't
work.

> The machine is more than fast enough for Q3. UT is more CPU-dependent, so
> get a new CPU + motherboard for cheap. Plan it well and it'll cost you
less
> than $100. AMD Duron 1200 + ECS K7S5A comes to mind.

> "me!!" <pwrberry@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> >
> > My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
> > stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )
> >
> > P3 550Mhz
> > 256Mb PC100
> > 24GB total HDD space
> > Plextor 8/4/32
> > 16x DVD ROM
> > Soundblaster Live
> > Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb
> >
> > She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
> > put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
> > cheaply.
> >

> > I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
> > really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?
> >
> > She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
> > downstairs.
> >
> > i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
> > until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
> > DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )
> >
> > So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Kerry

> If you are selling overclocked machines to your customers and claiming that
> instead of being overclocked

"overclocked" is not a legal term.

>you are running the processor at "full speed"

I deliver the computer running at the agreed upon speed. What they do after
that is, of course, up to them. Point is, I make sure they have
a mobo that allows them to run at any speed they choose,
unlike a tier one vendor. But like a tier one vendor, I guarantee
a speed.

> then it's not going to be long before one them has his lawyer hand you your
> balls for a bow-tie.

Except that I have done nothing morally or legally wrong.

> Further, you seem to be doing this with bargain-basement bottom-feeder
> components.

So you claim that you have witnessed me ordering the parts. Funny, I
don't seem to remember you lurking around inside my house.

> God help your customers. It's people like you who give computer dealers a
> bad name.

Sounds like you are one of those people who don't know which is the
business end of a screwdriver.

Jeff B

jeff b wrote:

>> If you are selling overclocked machines to your customers and claiming
>> that instead of being overclocked
>
> "overclocked" is not a legal term.

So what? It has a commonly accepted definition that the courts will accept.

>>you are running the processor at "full speed"
>
> I deliver the computer running at the agreed upon speed. What they do
> after
> that is, of course, up to them. Point is, I make sure they have
> a mobo that allows them to run at any speed they choose,
> unlike a tier one vendor. But like a tier one vendor, I guarantee
> a speed.

Do you inform your customers that the speed you guarantee is obtained by
running the processor and/or other components at speeds higher than they
are rated for by the manufacturer?

>> then it's not going to be long before one them has his lawyer hand you
>> your balls for a bow-tie.
>
> Except that I have done nothing morally or legally wrong.

So you do have your customers sign a disclaimer stating that they are aware
that you are providing overclocked machines (and don't bother to quibble
over "overclocked").

>> Further, you seem to be doing this with bargain-basement bottom-feeder
>> components.
>
> So you claim that you have witnessed me ordering the parts. Funny, I
> don't seem to remember you lurking around inside my house.

So you are selling out of your house? Not doing enough volume to justify a
store? Dumb--when they sue you you're going to end up with no place to
live. Do your parents know that your activities may lose them their house?

In any case, if you are able to sell machines for a lower price than Dell
and make a profit then you are necessarily using bottom-feeder components.

>> God help your customers. It's people like you who give computer dealers
>> a bad name.
>
> Sounds like you are one of those people who don't know which is the
> business end of a screwdriver.

ROF,L.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> John, I gave up on the "pimply faced little gamer" about 10 posts ago. I
> suggest you do the same...

So all you can come up with is cowardly behind my back name calling?

Look at
> jeff b's replies to "A principle problem: fnas on gfx cards", to see how he
> flip-flops. One post says how important fans are,

More lies, I never said "don't run a graphics card fan".
When proven wrong in an arguement, lie abot what the other guy said,
maybe no one will notice.

At least J. Clarke was man enough to address me directly.
Coward.

Jeff B

Expert

I build computers for individual now, I make recommendations on what
components to use based on their request.
I only charge them what they can afford and help them to acquire the best
deals on their components.
I don't do it for profit, I do it because I had to learned the hard way by
taking advice from so called computer experts and builders.
After being ripped on a number of computers and listening to expert builders
some Certified (i use this term lightly) I decided to help as many people as
I can and teach them the how to's. I started building computers in 1981 and
my first machine was a Intel 486 budget system. I an over 40 and an
engineer. Computers are fun and should be an inexpensive hobby.
I don't believe "professional builders" are all that informative to the home
user and many look to make a dollar off there lack of computer knowledge.
Btw I lived in Austin when Dell consisted of a leased office space with less
than 30 employees and the computers they built then were alot better quality
than what they build now.