upgrade

Hi all

My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )

P3 550Mhz
256Mb PC100
24GB total HDD space
Plextor 8/4/32
16x DVD ROM
Soundblaster Live
Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb

She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
cheaply.

I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?

She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
downstairs.

i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )

So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?

Regards

Kerry

Upgrade your M/board and CPU, goto www.ebuyer.co.uk they do a great range
of cheap AMD boards ( from less than 20 notes upwards) that take either DDR
or Sdram (u can upgrade your ram at your leisure then)..they do cheap Athlon
and Duron cpu's that will bring your pute up to a healthy spec for much less
than 100 notes!!..If you include some DDR memory it'll just over the ton!-
never been cheaper to upgrade ya pute!!

"Hard Bastard" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hi all
>
> My wifes PC is as follows : ( my old pc, had to give it too her to
> stop her moaning at me soending a grand on my new one! )
>
> P3 550Mhz
> 256Mb PC100
> 24GB total HDD space
> Plextor 8/4/32
> 16x DVD ROM
> Soundblaster Live
> Geforce 3 Ti200 64Mb
>
> She wants me to upgrade it as far as i can. I have checked and i can
> put her up to a 750Mhz P3 in it for her as i could get one fairly
> cheaply.
>

> I had been thinking of swapping the vid card for a GF4 Ti4200. Is it
> really worth it and is it much faster than the GF3 Ti200?
>
> She palys Quake 3, and we play UT2001 over a lan, her upstairs, me
> downstairs.
>
> i ran 3dmark01 on it and it scores 3012. She thought that was good
> until she saw my score of 16,513 on my new system. ( Athlon 3200+, 1GB
> DDR 400, Radeon 9800 Pro )
>
> So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?

Considering the GF3 is still faster than the cpu, dopn't waste the money.
Anotehr 256MB ram would be a better buy...

> Regards
>
> Kerry
>
> Upgrade your M/board and CPU, goto www.ebuyer.co.uk they do a great range
> of cheap AMD boards ( from less than 20 notes upwards) that take either
DDR
> or Sdram (u can upgrade your ram at your leisure then)..they do cheap
Athlon
> and Duron cpu's that will bring your pute up to a healthy spec for much
less
> than 100 notes!!..If you include some DDR memory it'll just over the ton!-
> never been cheaper to upgrade ya pute!!

> Considering the GF3 is still faster than the cpu, dopn't waste the money.
> Anotehr 256MB ram would be a better buy...

Also since the cpu is under a 1g in speed, I doubt that there would be a
noticable improvement by increasing ram (It would be cheap though).

ceebee

"Mickey Johnson" <mickster@derbyworks.net> wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia:

> Also since the cpu is under a 1g in speed, I doubt that there would be
> a noticable improvement by increasing ram (It would be cheap though).

Believe it! I upgraded a stone old Celeron 650MHz Toshiba laptop with
128Mb to the max of 192Mb and it created a non-working XP system into a
perfectly working system.

--
CeeBee

EMH Mark I: "Stop breathing down my neck."
EMH Mark II: "My breath is merely a simulation."
EMH Mark I: "So is my neck. Stop it anyway."

> So what do you think, shall i try to get a cheap Ti4200?
>
> Regards
>
> Kerry

Depends.....if she is beating you in Q3 etc, then DO NOT
upgrade her machine. :)

Jeff B

TRENDING THREADS