Screen blackouts

David

I have recently upgraded my PC and am now experiencing a problem with
my graphics.
When I run a fairly intense graphics games (Far Cry or Halflife via
Steam) , after about 10 minutes the screen suddenly goes black, as if
the monitor had been turned off.

I thought it may be that the video card was overheating so I have
upgraded the cooling on the video card and put some heatsinks on the
video ram, however it is still happenning.

I have tried using an old video card that I have (Geforce2 MX 32MB)
and everything works fine with that although at lower detail levels.
The video card works fine with all other programs its just games. I
have updated the drivers so they are all current, put the latest bios
on my motherboard and I have also done a fresh install of windows to
no avail.

The only other thing I can think of is that the card isn't getting
enough power, could this be the problem. The case temerature is around
27 degrees C and the CPU is at 38 degrees C

My system is:

Athlon 2400+ processor
Abit NF7-S motherboard (onboard sound, Ethernet)
512mb DDR ram
Mercury GeForce FX5600 128mb
2xHDD
1x Floppy
1x CD Rom
1x CD Re Writer
300 watt generic power supply.
Windows XP
DirectX 9.0b

Yes, you are overdriving your undersized power supply. Get a larger high
quality unit.

--
DaveW

"David" <dcc@talk21.com> wrote in message
> I have recently upgraded my PC and am now experiencing a problem with
> my graphics.
> When I run a fairly intense graphics games (Far Cry or Halflife via
> Steam) , after about 10 minutes the screen suddenly goes black, as if
> the monitor had been turned off.
>
> I thought it may be that the video card was overheating so I have
> upgraded the cooling on the video card and put some heatsinks on the
> video ram, however it is still happenning.
>
> I have tried using an old video card that I have (Geforce2 MX 32MB)
> and everything works fine with that although at lower detail levels.
> The video card works fine with all other programs its just games. I
> have updated the drivers so they are all current, put the latest bios
> on my motherboard and I have also done a fresh install of windows to
> no avail.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that the card isn't getting
> enough power, could this be the problem. The case temerature is around
> 27 degrees C and the CPU is at 38 degrees C
>
> My system is:
>
> Athlon 2400+ processor
> Abit NF7-S motherboard (onboard sound, Ethernet)
> 512mb DDR ram
> Mercury GeForce FX5600 128mb
> 2xHDD
> 1x Floppy
> 1x CD Rom
> 1x CD Re Writer
> 300 watt generic power supply.
> Windows XP
> DirectX 9.0b

Its possibly pwr supply,or even problem card, yr temps are ok