about AGP 2X/4X

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to a
128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
2X only.
i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti card
without that feature is just a MX card.

thanks in advance
Eric

"Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message
> i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to
> 128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
> i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
> 2X only.
> i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
> but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
> bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
> i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti
card
> without that feature is just a MX card.
>
> thanks in advance
> Eric

I believe that some Ti4200 cards support 8X, so I would be a little careful
to make sure that those 8X versions also support 2X if that's what you need.

"Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message
> i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to
> 128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
> i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
> 2X only.
> i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
> but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
> bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
> i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti
card
> without that feature is just a MX card.

The AGP X designation has nothing to do with features on the card being
enabled or disabled. So long as the Ti4200 is compatible with the slot on
your board, all it's features will work.

For compatibility you need to determine the AGP slot specification on the
board and card to make sure they are compatible. You say the board supports
a max of 2X, which suggests it's probably an AGP 1.0 slot. The Ti4200 card
supports 2X and 4X, so it's likely an AGP 2.0 connector. Normally this
should be fine - cards that support 2X and 4X usually work at both 3.3V (AGP
1.0) or 1.5V (AGP 2.0). There are cards around that do not support 3.3V, but
these tend to be just the newer AGP 8X cards that support only 4X and 8X. If
you can provide the exact model number for your motherboard and the Ti4200
you are considering getting it should be easy enough to check whether they
will work together. The way the AGP slots are designed you can't
accidentally fit an AGP 2.0 only card into an AGP 1.0 slot - each slot has a
cutout (or key) in a different place, you can tell if the card supports both
AGP 1.0 and AGP 2.0 by looking at it to see if it has 2 cutouts in the
connector (it will look like
http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/directron/1.5v )

Dan

"Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message news:40c97f93$1_2@news.vic.com...
> i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to a
> 128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
> i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
> 2X only.
> i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
> but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
> bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
> i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti card
> without that feature is just a MX card.
>
> thanks in advance
> Eric

Here's a link to a decent freeware computer profiler if you're interested to
know the name of the motherboard.

http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1&subpage=5

Tony.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Mark A wrote:

> "Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message
>
>>i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to

>>128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
>>i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
>>2X only.
>>i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
>>but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
>>bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
>>i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti
>
> card
>
>>without that feature is just a MX card.
>>
>>thanks in advance
>>Eric
>>

> I believe that some Ti4200 cards support 8X, so I would be a little careful
> to make sure that those 8X versions also support 2X if that's what you need.

You are correct. Just before the FX was announced, a bunch of G4 AGP 8X
cards were released. These were the top end of the old G4 line.
Usually with at least 128/256MB memory (Ti4200, 4400, 4600, 4800)

So you'll have to check that card carefully: The Ti4200 128Mb cards
were 4X/8X cards. Interestingly, the Ti4200 64MB 2X/4X cards had much
faster ram and so considerably out performed the 128MB 8X card, in teh
same system, unless more texture memory was needed and the 64MB card had
to swap to system ram.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Eric" <drama@for.your.mom> wrote in message
> i currently own a GeForce3 Ti200 and i want to upgrade (barely i guess) to
> 128mb GeForce4 Ti4200.
> i don't know the exact model of my motherboard, but i know it supports AGP
> 2X only.
> i know that GeForce4 Ti4200 supports both 2X and 4X.
> but i am wondering because that my motherboard doesn't support the 4X
> bandwidth, features such as "nfiniteFX engine" will be disabled.
> i really care about the "nfiniteFX engine" thing becuase i heard the Ti
card
> without that feature is just a MX card.

A while back, when they were new, I spent a silly amount of a Geforce3 Ti500
64Mb. I then did a ton of benching with various current games and the then
current 3DMark 2000. It was running on a PIII 1000EB / 512 Mb PC133 / Abit
VH-6 II system. I ran a whole series of benchmarks at AGP1X, 2X and 4X with
various games and 3DMark. The thing that surprised me the most was the small
differences in benchmarks and fps rates between the different AGP mode. Like
a 2-3% difference from each level to the next. I knocked back my Radeon 8500
128Mb down to AGP2X mode with PS and ran 3 runs of 3DMark 2001......got
11,470 (Barton 3200 / Nforce2 1024Mb DDR). Did another 3 runs in AGP4X mode
and got 11,724 average. This is like a 2% difference.

>Interestingly, the Ti4200 64MB 2X/4X cards had much
>faster ram and so considerably out performed the 128MB 8X card, in teh
>same system, unless more texture memory was needed and the 64MB card had
>to swap to system ram.

I have a 4X, 8X 4200 128 meg card on my NF7-S.
I don't know why but it actually performs better in benchmarks when it is
running at 4X instead of 8X.
So I run it at 4X all the time.

TRENDING THREADS