3D Graphics Card

I have a question for the group to ponder....
My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
(....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)

I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:

http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html

If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
card, I would like to hear about it..

I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......

Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
cheerfully ignored.

JM
25 answers Last reply
More about graphics card

    "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    >
    > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
    >
    > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
    >
    > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
    > card, I would like to hear about it..
    >
    > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
    > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
    > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
    > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
    >
    > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
    > cheerfully ignored.
    >
    > JM

    What are your system specs and OS ? :)

    Let's see if I can do this without looking everything up....

    2GHZ P4

    ASUS motherboard:
    USB 2.0 supported
    UDMA supported
    Ethernet 10/100 supported
    400MHZ front side bus

    1GB DDR RAM

    320 GB 7200 rpm EIDE WesternDigital Hard drives with onboard caches

    52x Lite-On CD-RW

    8x HP DVD+RW

    56K PCI hardware based Zoom modem

    Standard sony 3.5" floppy

    Generic stereo sound card with 5 channel sound/EAX with amplified
    speakers.

    17" CRT monitor

    I am presently running a multiboot OS, with Win98 SE and Win XP Home
    installed (and space allocated for other systems not yet installed.. )
    Boot management is handled by V-tech's System Commander.

    I guess that about covers it...

    JM

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.demon.nl>
    wrote:

    >What are your system specs and OS ? :)

    You have that system and no agp slot? I find it hard to believe.

    > Let's see if I can do this without looking everything up....
    >
    > 2GHZ P4
    >
    > ASUS motherboard:
    > USB 2.0 supported
    > UDMA supported
    > Ethernet 10/100 supported
    > 400MHZ front side bus
    >
    > 1GB DDR RAM
    >
    > 320 GB 7200 rpm EIDE WesternDigital Hard drives with onboard caches
    >
    > 52x Lite-On CD-RW
    >
    > 8x HP DVD+RW
    >
    > 56K PCI hardware based Zoom modem
    >
    > Standard sony 3.5" floppy
    >
    > Generic stereo sound card with 5 channel sound/EAX with amplified
    > speakers.
    >
    > 17" CRT monitor
    >
    > I am presently running a multiboot OS, with Win98 SE and Win XP Home
    > installed (and space allocated for other systems not yet installed.. )
    > Boot management is handled by V-tech's System Commander.
    >
    > I guess that about covers it...
    >
    > JM
    >
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.demon.nl>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >What are your system specs and OS ? :)

    You can believe it. It is quite true.

    JM

    " You can believe it. It is quite true. "

    and it's probably one of these:

    http://snipurl.com/70ke
    http://snipurl.com/70kf

    "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    >
    > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:

    Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....RV200 core, 2 textures per pass,
    128bit memory path, 250Mhz GPU, 500Mhz memory. DX8.1 compliant, AGP 4X.
    Considerably faster than the PCI 5200 which is slower and 64 bit to boot.
    The 5200 is DX9 but you won't be playing any DX9 games with a PCI 5200.
    Literally dozens for sale NIB from EBay, Dealtime,etc. Less than $80 new
    most places. Don't get the Radeon 9200 PCI....slower, has the RV280 core
    which only does 1 texture per pass but is AGP8X compliant. A full bore 8500
    can't saturate the AGP4X bus, so it's a moot point.

    Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.

    JM

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:49:36 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    wrote:

    >Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....RV200 core, 2 textures per pass,
    >128bit memory path, 250Mhz GPU, 500Mhz memory. DX8.1 compliant, AGP 4X.
    >Considerably faster than the PCI 5200 which is slower and 64 bit to boot.
    >The 5200 is DX9 but you won't be playing any DX9 games with a PCI 5200.
    >Literally dozens for sale NIB from EBay, Dealtime,etc. Less than $80 new
    >most places. Don't get the Radeon 9200 PCI....slower, has the RV280 core
    >which only does 1 texture per pass but is AGP8X compliant. A full bore 8500
    >can't saturate the AGP4X bus, so it's a moot point.

    > Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....

    That should read Visiontek Xtasy....

    > Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.

    This IS a PCI card....not AGP

    Then why are you talking about AGP 4X?

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:56:36 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    wrote:

    >"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.
    >>

    >This IS a PCI card....not AGP

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > This IS a PCI card....not AGP

    Remember, the AGP compliance is built into the GPU.....obviously a PCI
    version does not run in AGP mode, but the compatability is in the GPU.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > Then why are you talking about AGP 4X?

    Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
    FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card it
    can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
    being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
    the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
    performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank me
    for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.

    JM

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:30:31 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    wrote:

    >Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
    >FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card it
    >can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
    >being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
    >the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
    >performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank me
    >for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    > I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.

    Get yourself a new MoBo ;)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    if your realy dont want to get a new main board to go with a AGP card then i
    say get it.
    and if later on you get a AGP board you can always keep the pci card to use
    for doing dual monitors. its not a bad pci card at all for going with 2 or 3
    monitor setups when used with a dual head agp card.

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    >
    > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
    >
    > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
    >
    > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
    > card, I would like to hear about it..
    >
    > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
    > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
    > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
    > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
    >
    > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
    > cheerfully ignored.
    >
    > JM
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Thanks for your thoughts... I bilud a new pc for myself about every 4
    years, so I have to make do for awhile.

    Thanks again,

    JM

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:51:19 -0400, "Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com>
    wrote:

    >if your realy dont want to get a new main board to go with a AGP card then i
    >say get it.
    >and if later on you get a AGP board you can always keep the pci card to use
    >for doing dual monitors. its not a bad pci card at all for going with 2 or 3
    >monitor setups when used with a dual head agp card.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
    posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
    piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that attitude.
    "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.
    >
    > JM
    >
    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:30:31 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
    > >FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card
    it
    > >can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
    > >being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
    > >the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
    > >performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank
    me
    > >for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.

  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    I am not going to argue with you.. I found his response post to my
    polite, civil, and sincere query completely *unclear* and therefore
    not at all useful, and his last post I found insulting.

    There is nothing wrong with my attitude, thank-you

    JM

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:34:47 +0000 (UTC), "Ray Dundas"
    <rdundas@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
    >posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
    >piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that attitude.
    >"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >> I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.
    >>
    >> JM
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Ray Dundas" <rdundas@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough,
    but
    > posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given,
    really
    > piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that
    attitude.
    > "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

    Thanks, man. Appreciate it.....even if someone else doesn't.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    Must be a dell

    JustMee wrote:
    > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    >
    > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
    >
    > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
    >
    > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
    > card, I would like to hear about it..
    >
    > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
    > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
    > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
    > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
    >
    > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
    > cheerfully ignored.
    >
    > JM
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    JustMee wrote:

    > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    >
    > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
    >
    > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
    >
    > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
    > card, I would like to hear about it..
    >
    > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
    > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
    > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
    > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
    >
    > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
    > cheerfully ignored.

    There is a PCI FX5600 available. If you hadn't been so rude to Augustus I
    might have posted a link.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    >Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
    >posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
    >piss me off.

    Then you must get pissed off a lot. Why something this stupid would actually
    piss you off is beyond me, but by all means have at it.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    nice find i dint know they had a fx5600 pci card.

    http://www.ivmm.com/inno3d/geforcefx/products_gf_fx_5600.html

    found it for $109
    http://www.amamax.com/ge56pciwddrd.html

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    > JustMee wrote:
    >
    > > I have a question for the group to ponder....
    > > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
    > > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
    > > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
    > >
    > > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
    > > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
    > >
    > > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
    > >
    > > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
    > > card, I would like to hear about it..
    > >
    > > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
    > > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
    > > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
    > > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
    > >
    > > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
    > > cheerfully ignored.
    >
    > There is a PCI FX5600 available. If you hadn't been so rude to Augustus I
    > might have posted a link.
    >
    > > JM
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

    "Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com> wrote in message
    > nice find i dint know they had a fx5600 pci card.
    >
    > http://www.ivmm.com/inno3d/geforcefx/products_gf_fx_5600.html

    This FX5600PCI is a big improvement over the FX5200, as it's 128bit and
    faster to boot. I was not aware it existed. This would roughly be equivalent
    or even slightly faster in performance to the 9100, and have the advantage
    of being DX9 too.

Nvidia Graphics Cards Graphics