Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

3D Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2004 3:22:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I have a question for the group to ponder....
My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
(....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)

I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:

http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html

If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
card, I would like to hear about it..

I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......

Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
cheerfully ignored.

JM

More about : graphics card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 12:33:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:fvtjc0dan9r5enrgjp0h32o8ldpldlc9v9@4ax.com...
> I have a question for the group to ponder....
> My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
>
> I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
>
> http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
>
> If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
> card, I would like to hear about it..
>
> I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
> debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
> am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
> had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
>
> Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
> cheerfully ignored.
>
> JM

What are your system specs and OS ? :) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 12:33:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Let's see if I can do this without looking everything up....

2GHZ P4

ASUS motherboard:
USB 2.0 supported
UDMA supported
Ethernet 10/100 supported
400MHZ front side bus

1GB DDR RAM

320 GB 7200 rpm EIDE WesternDigital Hard drives with onboard caches

52x Lite-On CD-RW

8x HP DVD+RW

56K PCI hardware based Zoom modem

Standard sony 3.5" floppy

Generic stereo sound card with 5 channel sound/EAX with amplified
speakers.

17" CRT monitor

I am presently running a multiboot OS, with Win98 SE and Win XP Home
installed (and space allocated for other systems not yet installed.. )
Boot management is handled by V-tech's System Commander.

I guess that about covers it...

JM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.demon.nl>
wrote:

>What are your system specs and OS ? :) 
>
Related resources
June 12, 2004 12:33:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You have that system and no agp slot? I find it hard to believe.

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:o c0kc0hburo7b815g94s58hn99s55foee6@4ax.com...
> Let's see if I can do this without looking everything up....
>
> 2GHZ P4
>
> ASUS motherboard:
> USB 2.0 supported
> UDMA supported
> Ethernet 10/100 supported
> 400MHZ front side bus
>
> 1GB DDR RAM
>
> 320 GB 7200 rpm EIDE WesternDigital Hard drives with onboard caches
>
> 52x Lite-On CD-RW
>
> 8x HP DVD+RW
>
> 56K PCI hardware based Zoom modem
>
> Standard sony 3.5" floppy
>
> Generic stereo sound card with 5 channel sound/EAX with amplified
> speakers.
>
> 17" CRT monitor
>
> I am presently running a multiboot OS, with Win98 SE and Win XP Home
> installed (and space allocated for other systems not yet installed.. )
> Boot management is handled by V-tech's System Commander.
>
> I guess that about covers it...
>
> JM
>
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Rubbie" <bjojk@nospam.demon.nl>
> wrote:
>
> >What are your system specs and OS ? :) 
> >
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 12:33:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

You can believe it. It is quite true.

JM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:27:16 -0500, "Greg" <ghays@vca.com> wrote:

>You have that system and no agp slot? I find it hard to believe.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 1:26:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:a42kc0p6j5k1mpurams5omoc6rvfo9e3f8@4ax.com...

" You can believe it. It is quite true. "


and it's probably one of these:

http://snipurl.com/70ke
http://snipurl.com/70kf
June 12, 2004 2:34:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

JustMee wrote:
>Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
>cheerfully ignored.

Don't mean to be a pest. Well, maybe a little. But I still think that's an
intelligent response.

Seriously though, could you explain this to me? Why are you adamantly
insisting on paying that much money (assuming that's the best price
available) for that card, and keeping your motherboard as opposed to
getting both new motherboard and the same card in AGP edition for the same
amount of money?

I'm honestly curious as to your reason. Is it just that you still don't
believe it's possible to do price-wise, or is there some other reason you
haven't divulged yet?


- --
Frode

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 8.0.3

iQA/AwUBQMoXN+XlGBWTt1afEQIR/ACgwM92se1ePmB6f9HDISxXVGeJ2vMAmwcu
MFM92h8IkUoSdZ0VbD+OcGS8
=pENJ
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
June 12, 2004 3:49:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:fvtjc0dan9r5enrgjp0h32o8ldpldlc9v9@4ax.com...
> I have a question for the group to ponder....
> My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
>
> I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
>
Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....RV200 core, 2 textures per pass,
128bit memory path, 250Mhz GPU, 500Mhz memory. DX8.1 compliant, AGP 4X.
Considerably faster than the PCI 5200 which is slower and 64 bit to boot.
The 5200 is DX9 but you won't be playing any DX9 games with a PCI 5200.
Literally dozens for sale NIB from EBay, Dealtime,etc. Less than $80 new
most places. Don't get the Radeon 9200 PCI....slower, has the RV280 core
which only does 1 texture per pass but is AGP8X compliant. A full bore 8500
can't saturate the AGP4X bus, so it's a moot point.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 3:49:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.

JM


On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:49:36 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....RV200 core, 2 textures per pass,
>128bit memory path, 250Mhz GPU, 500Mhz memory. DX8.1 compliant, AGP 4X.
>Considerably faster than the PCI 5200 which is slower and 64 bit to boot.
>The 5200 is DX9 but you won't be playing any DX9 games with a PCI 5200.
>Literally dozens for sale NIB from EBay, Dealtime,etc. Less than $80 new
>most places. Don't get the Radeon 9200 PCI....slower, has the RV280 core
>which only does 1 texture per pass but is AGP8X compliant. A full bore 8500
>can't saturate the AGP4X bus, so it's a moot point.
>
June 12, 2004 3:50:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....

That should read Visiontek Xtasy....
June 12, 2004 3:56:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:p ihkc0lns2ecm53pl0jlqdoprijv2em83c@4ax.com...
> Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.
>

This IS a PCI card....not AGP
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 3:56:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Then why are you talking about AGP 4X?

"Vision Xtasy Radeon 9100 PCI 128Mb....RV200 core, 2 textures per
pass, 128bit memory path, 250Mhz GPU, 500Mhz memory. DX8.1 compliant,
AGP 4X."

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:56:36 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>
>"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
>news:p ihkc0lns2ecm53pl0jlqdoprijv2em83c@4ax.com...
>> Once again, no AGP port available. PCI only.
>>
>
>This IS a PCI card....not AGP
>
June 12, 2004 3:59:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> This IS a PCI card....not AGP
>
Remember, the AGP compliance is built into the GPU.....obviously a PCI
version does not run in AGP mode, but the compatability is in the GPU.
June 12, 2004 4:30:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:1qhkc0liph3dk0ure4qb1pgqe3uikeg2es@4ax.com...
> Then why are you talking about AGP 4X?
>

Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card it
can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank me
for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 4:30:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.

JM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:30:31 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
>FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card it
>can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
>being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
>the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
>performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank me
>for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 8:04:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:8gkkc0hmes28ntcr8cmb9ia2h8lh65svpi@4ax.com...
> I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.

Get yourself a new MoBo ;) 
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 3:51:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

if your realy dont want to get a new main board to go with a AGP card then i
say get it.
and if later on you get a AGP board you can always keep the pci card to use
for doing dual monitors. its not a bad pci card at all for going with 2 or 3
monitor setups when used with a dual head agp card.

--


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com


"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:fvtjc0dan9r5enrgjp0h32o8ldpldlc9v9@4ax.com...
> I have a question for the group to ponder....
> My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
>
> I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
>
> http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
>
> If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
> card, I would like to hear about it..
>
> I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
> debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
> am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
> had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
>
> Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
> cheerfully ignored.
>
> JM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 3:51:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Thanks for your thoughts... I bilud a new pc for myself about every 4
years, so I have to make do for awhile.


Thanks again,

JM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:51:19 -0400, "Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com>
wrote:

>if your realy dont want to get a new main board to go with a AGP card then i
>say get it.
>and if later on you get a AGP board you can always keep the pci card to use
>for doing dual monitors. its not a bad pci card at all for going with 2 or 3
>monitor setups when used with a dual head agp card.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 4:34:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that attitude.
"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:8gkkc0hmes28ntcr8cmb9ia2h8lh65svpi@4ax.com...
> I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.
>
> JM
>
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 00:30:31 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Any Radeon 9100 core is AGP4X by design. Any 9200 is AGP8X by design. Any
> >FX5200 core is AGP 8X by design. When the core is stuck on a PCI bus card
it
> >can't run in that mode. That does not change what it is. The information
> >being given was about GPU and memory performance, which is independant of
> >the PCI or AGP form factor. You were asking about knowledge on best 3D
> >performers for PCI options, which you got. So by all means, don't thank
me
> >for it. Just nitpick about how a PCI card isn't an AGP card.
> >
>
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 12, 2004 4:34:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I am not going to argue with you.. I found his response post to my
polite, civil, and sincere query completely *unclear* and therefore
not at all useful, and his last post I found insulting.

There is nothing wrong with my attitude, thank-you

JM

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:34:47 +0000 (UTC), "Ray Dundas"
<rdundas@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
>posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
>piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that attitude.
>"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
>news:8gkkc0hmes28ntcr8cmb9ia2h8lh65svpi@4ax.com...
>> I was not "nit-picking", what you posted was NOT clear to me.
>>
>> JM
June 12, 2004 7:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Ray Dundas" <rdundas@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:caet97$1fh$1@sparta.btinternet.com...
> Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough,
but
> posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given,
really
> piss me off. The good advice you get will dry up quickly with that
attitude.
> "JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.....even if someone else doesn't.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2004 1:13:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Must be a dell

JustMee wrote:
> I have a question for the group to ponder....
> My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
>
> I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
>
> http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
>
> If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
> card, I would like to hear about it..
>
> I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
> debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
> am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
> had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
>
> Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
> cheerfully ignored.
>
> JM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2004 3:36:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

JustMee wrote:

> I have a question for the group to ponder....
> My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
>
> I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
>
> http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
>
> If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
> card, I would like to hear about it..
>
> I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
> debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
> am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
> had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
>
> Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
> cheerfully ignored.

There is a PCI FX5600 available. If you hadn't been so rude to Augustus I
might have posted a link.

> JM

--
--John
Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 13, 2004 10:45:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>Augustus still deserves a thank you and apology. Flamers are bad enough, but
>posters not polite enough to show gratitude for advice freely given, really
>piss me off.

Then you must get pissed off a lot. Why something this stupid would actually
piss you off is beyond me, but by all means have at it.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 14, 2004 5:46:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

nice find i dint know they had a fx5600 pci card.

http://www.ivmm.com/inno3d/geforcefx/products_gf_fx_560...

found it for $109
http://www.amamax.com/ge56pciwddrd.html

--


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter
http://mail.giantcompany.com


"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news:cahtm70ea1@news4.newsguy.com...
> JustMee wrote:
>
> > I have a question for the group to ponder....
> > My computer does not have an AGP slot (long story of
> > miscommunications), so I am confined to PCI graphics.....
> > (....No, I am not up for a new MB at this time)
> >
> > I have been looking for a new graphics card, and as
> > far as I can tell, this is the best PCI card available:
> >
> > http://www.bfgtech.com/5200_256.html
> >
> > If someone has experience with this card, or knows of a better PCI
> > card, I would like to hear about it..
> >
> > I prefer Nvidia over ATI (but I really do not want to get *that*
> > debate started again, I think it is really personal preference...) I
> > am looking for the best chip and large amount of video RAM.. I have
> > had good luck with the "Asylum" brand......
> >
> > Intelligent responses welcomed, "buy a new motherboard" responses
> > cheerfully ignored.
>
> There is a PCI FX5600 available. If you hadn't been so rude to Augustus I
> might have posted a link.
>
> > JM
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
June 14, 2004 10:52:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Mangyrat" <rat@mangyrat.com> wrote in message
news:caje3l$ffhc$1@news3.infoave.net...
> nice find i dint know they had a fx5600 pci card.
>
> http://www.ivmm.com/inno3d/geforcefx/products_gf_fx_560...


This FX5600PCI is a big improvement over the FX5200, as it's 128bit and
faster to boot. I was not aware it existed. This would roughly be equivalent
or even slightly faster in performance to the 9100, and have the advantage
of being DX9 too.
!