What card for photoshop/content creation/video editing?

Luke

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

I'm looking to spend around £120($200) on a new card for my system that I
use for work. I'll be doing lots of photoshop work, media encoding, some
video editing etc.....

I'm slightly confused as to wether I should be looking at the standard cards
aimed towards gamers such as the FX5900 or the Quadro range of cards.? can
anyone please offer some advice. In the past I have always used gaming
cards.

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:07:41 +0100, "luke"
<lukenousenetspam@noemailneeded.com> wrote:

>I'm looking to spend around £120($200) on a new card for my system that I
>use for work. I'll be doing lots of photoshop work, media encoding, some
>video editing etc.....
>
>I'm slightly confused as to wether I should be looking at the standard cards
>aimed towards gamers such as the FX5900 or the Quadro range of cards.? can
>anyone please offer some advice. In the past I have always used gaming
>cards.

You may want to look at the Matrox Parhelia series. First-class
image quality and up to 3-head output for video editing with
multiple monitors. Matrox also make a nice line of video editing
hardware in the RTX100 series, which will come bundled with
the updated Adobe 1.5 (Premiere Pro etc) video editing/encoding
tools from August onwards.

www.matrox.com

John Lewis

The standard cards will be fine. You won't even need a FX5900. Something
older like a Geforce4 will suffice. Focus on things like 2D image quality
(due to various grades of filters used by different mfr's). LeadTek's
filters are on par with Matrox and ATi cards. Gainward is pretty good, too.

Quadro cards are meant for 3D artists (DCC) and CAD users. Their
significantly heftier pricetags buy you support for anti-aliased lines,
better subpixel precision, and DCC/CAD optimized drivers, nothing useful for
2D graphics design work.