PNY GeForce 5200FX Ultra card -- Power Connector?

Hi,

My PNY GeForce 5200 FX Ultra card has a power connector (the same kind
you use for a hard drive). The manual says, "for optimal performance",
attach a power connector from the PC. For about six months, I had been
running without the power cord connected and it ran fine. I just
connected it after reading about it in the manual, and I don't notice
any difference in the way anything is running. I couldn't find any
detailed info on the PNY site for this.

Does anyone know what the power connector does to provide "optimal"
performance? Where would I see the difference?

Thanks,
-- Vinnie

"Vinnie Murdico" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My PNY GeForce 5200 FX Ultra card has a power connector (the same kind
> you use for a hard drive). The manual says, "for optimal performance",
> attach a power connector from the PC. For about six months, I had been
> running without the power cord connected and it ran fine. I just
> connected it after reading about it in the manual, and I don't notice
> any difference in the way anything is running. I couldn't find any
> detailed info on the PNY site for this.
>
> Does anyone know what the power connector does to provide "optimal"
> performance? Where would I see the difference?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Vinnie

You should have a dialog message when aux power is not connected to the
card. You card simply under power.

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapeFussion...@hotmail..,com> wrote in message
> You should have a dialog message when aux power is not connected
> to the card. You card simply under power.

Nope. Never got any messages about the card not having power connected.

Any idea how the power connection helps the card "perform optimally"?

Does having the power connector connected help with video performance
such as gaming or displaying motion video more smoothly, or does it just
take away some of the load from the motherboard supplying it power via
the AGP slot?

Thanks,
- Vinnie

The AGP slot in your computer does NOT supply enough power to this card
unless you also plug in the auxillary power connection. The problem would
be seen when running intense 3D accelerated games with the detail controls
turned up. The card would run out of power.

--
DaveW

"Vinnie Murdico" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My PNY GeForce 5200 FX Ultra card has a power connector (the same kind
> you use for a hard drive). The manual says, "for optimal performance",
> attach a power connector from the PC. For about six months, I had been
> running without the power cord connected and it ran fine. I just
> connected it after reading about it in the manual, and I don't notice
> any difference in the way anything is running. I couldn't find any
> detailed info on the PNY site for this.
>
> Does anyone know what the power connector does to provide "optimal"
> performance? Where would I see the difference?
>
> Thanks,
> -- Vinnie

I'm pretty sure the reference nVidia 5200 design doesn't include the molex
power connector. As the 5200 is a budget card, PNY may have been concerned
about users with extremely low-quality power supplies or even old "Super7"
motherboards with below-spec AGP slots. The molex connector is more of a
"paranoia" feature; it absolutely will NOT give you better performance,
though it *might* improve stablity if you overclock.

> I'm pretty sure the reference nVidia 5200 design doesn't include the molex
> power connector. As the 5200 is a budget card, PNY may have been concerned
> about users with extremely low-quality power supplies or even old "Super7"
> motherboards with below-spec AGP slots. The molex connector is more of a
> "paranoia" feature; it absolutely will NOT give you better performance,
> though it *might* improve stablity if you overclock.

The plain 5200 does not, but the 5200 Ultra does have the connector.

bluestringer

I see...

> Nope. Never got any messages about the card not having power connected.
>
> Any idea how the power connection helps the card "perform optimally"?
>
> Does having the power connector connected help with video performance
> such as gaming or displaying motion video more smoothly, or does it just
> take away some of the load from the motherboard supplying it power via
> the AGP slot?

You should notice more in intensive 3D like in game or in 3D rendering
etc.....
AGP slot will not provide enough for the card to use.

Interesting that you do not have a dialog message indicating low power.
Normally it should.

CapFusion,...

"bluestringer" <srvrules@strato.com> wrote in message

> The plain 5200 does not, but the 5200 Ultra does have the connector.

I see this kind of interesting and funny for FX5200Ultra to have the aux
power. Since this card [IMO] is poor in game or any 3D rendering. Adding an
aux power to it will not improve it performance. But maybe better in office
application..

CapFusion,...