Sales tax via online?

Is Gateway currently charging sales tax on internet orders now that they
closed their retail stores?

TIA

More about sales online

    It depends on your state, some require them to collect it, some don't. I
    live in South Carolina and Gateway collects no sales tax during the sale.
    Of course, I still have to pay it when I file state income taxes as part of
    the use tax laws.

    Are you thinking of buying a Gateway computer? If you are please contact me
    via my personal e-mail address.

    Harry

    "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net> wrote in message
    > Is Gateway currently charging sales tax on internet orders now that they
    > closed their retail stores?
    >
    > TIA

    If you are thinking about a Gateway, you better read about all the
    problems everyone is having with their lies and customer support.
    Think long and hard. I am sure there are other companies that are
    more interested in giving you a good product instead of lying to you
    comstantly to get the sale. Read read and then read some more.

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:58:00 -0500, "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net>
    wrote:

    >Is Gateway currently charging sales tax on internet orders now that they
    >closed their retail stores?
    >
    >TIA

    > Harry Gerapetritiswrote:
    Are you thinking of buying a Gateway computer? If you are please
    contact me via my personal e-mail address.

    Now that's interesting...

    I've been purchasing Gateway ever since I dumped my AST Premium 286
    back in... well, a long time ago.

    I love gateway machines. I hate computer sales people and tech
    support.

    Little primer...

    Tech support is a cost center. They don't generally turn a profit. So
    who do they hire? The guy that got fired from the computer
    superstore, pimply faced Eddy. Most tech support metrics are "how
    many calls did you handle today". Problem resolution is a metric, but
    its based solely on the honor system.

    So, if you are in tech support, and want a raise, you take as many
    calls as you can, and tell them to reformat their hard drive, and
    mark it as "resolved".

    Not only do they not care about your problem, they don't know what the
    problem is. How do you test tech support people for computer knowledge
    and troubleshooting skills - it's an art, not a science.

    If you call tech support you deserve whatever you get. Any idiot can,
    and usually does, pick up a telephone. There's no intelligence
    required to speak to someone on the phone.

    Rule #1: NEVER call tech support, 99.98% of them are idiots.
    Rule #2: Only call tech support so as to verify that you have a
    malfunctioning piece of hardware and so that they can arrange for a
    replacement part or RMA.

    Sales? How much training do you think sales people get? I used to work
    for IBM training the value added resellers about the benefits of IBM
    Technology for their customers. They get no real product training -
    training is expensive. They know buzz words and common setups.

    The problem with sales is not that they lie to you, it's that they
    simply don't know the answer, and for one reason or another, abhor
    the three magic words "I don't know". And, they're often too lazy to
    find out.

    So this is the system in which we deal. It isn't just Gateway - it's
    everybody. Now occassionally, you'll get a knowledgable person. Hang
    onto them for dear life.

    Know what I do? I follow the golden rule: You have two ears and one
    mouth, listen twice as much as you talk. When I hear that the guy on
    the other end of the phone doesn't know what he's talking about, I
    hang up and call back and get someone else. Rinse and repeat.

    Just before I bought these three gatways I have now (2-5200's and
    1-7200), I asked the salesman if there were extra slots on the MOBO
    so that I could insert a SCSI card. He told me that gateway wasn't
    compatible with SCSI.

    Click. Hang up and call back.

    Remember, YOU are responsible for what you buy. Why do you think used
    car salesmen get a bad rap? You have to check the car out yourself -
    get a mechanic friend to look at it. If you listen to the salesman,
    unless you're sure he knows what he's talking about, it falls on you
    - you're the one spending your money.

    So in summary, don't blame gateway. They make good machines. They
    simply suffer from the same symptoms as most organizations: not
    enough training.

    I agree 99.9%!!!
    A couple of things to now be aware of ..
    NO separate operating systems, applications etc. Only a restore disk.
    Tech support is NO LONGER a toll free number.

    "YrbkMgr" <silkytp@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the other end of the phone doesn't know what he's talking about, I
    > hang up and call back and get someone else. Rinse and repeat.
    >
    > Just before I bought these three gatways I have now (2-5200's and
    > 1-7200), I asked the salesman if there were extra slots on the MOBO
    > so that I could insert a SCSI card. He told me that gateway wasn't
    > compatible with SCSI.
    >
    > Click. Hang up and call back.
    >
    > Remember, YOU are responsible for what you buy. Why do you think used
    > car salesmen get a bad rap? You have to check the car out yourself -
    > get a mechanic friend to look at it. If you listen to the salesman,
    > unless you're sure he knows what he's talking about, it falls on you
    > - you're the one spending your money.
    >
    > So in summary, don't blame gateway. They make good machines. They
    > simply suffer from the same symptoms as most organizations: not

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    I just finished buying my fourth Gateway last Christmas. They Lied
    and lied and lied. I will never buy another Gateway. They didnt even
    know what componets are in their own machines. They sent me a
    remanufactured monitor after reassuring me that it would be a new one.
    (I had to have the original one replaced) and the unit was made in
    Mexico after they assured me it was made in the usa.

    NEVER again.

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:56:29 GMT, Buford <mbrown2@rgv.rr.com> wrote:

    >If you are thinking about a Gateway, you better read about all the
    >problems everyone is having with their lies and customer support.
    >Think long and hard. I am sure there are other companies that are
    >more interested in giving you a good product instead of lying to you
    >comstantly to get the sale. Read read and then read some more.
    >
    >On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:58:00 -0500, "stealth" <stealthyREMOVE@att.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Is Gateway currently charging sales tax on internet orders now that they
    >>closed their retail stores?
    >>
    >>TIA

Gateway Internet Computers