A new card for a mid-range PC

Hello there,

A while ago I bought a new mid-range PC. Funds were tight so I opted
for motherboard-integrated nvidia graphics. Now I'd like to upgrade to
a proper card, but need advice.

My set-up is as follows:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton core)
512Mb DDR333 RAM
MSI K7N2M (MS-6777) Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
Win XP Home
No o/cing or anything.

Firstly, should I stick to nvidia cards so there's no conflict between
nvidia on board and a Radeon AGP card?

Secondly, bearing in mind this is a low/mid-level system is there any
value in going for a 5950 Ultra or even a 6800 series card? Will they
just be held up by the processor? Is the best I should go for a
5900XT?

Any advice appreciated.

More about card range

    chrispoad@hotmail.com (Leodiensian) wrote in message news:<549427d0.0406190840.38b2f39d@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello there,
    >
    > A while ago I bought a new mid-range PC. Funds were tight so I opted
    > for motherboard-integrated nvidia graphics. Now I'd like to upgrade to
    > a proper card, but need advice.
    >
    > My set-up is as follows:
    >
    > AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (Barton core)
    > 512Mb DDR333 RAM
    > MSI K7N2M (MS-6777) Motherboard
    > NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
    > Win XP Home
    > No o/cing or anything.
    >
    > Firstly, should I stick to nvidia cards so there's no conflict between
    > nvidia on board and a Radeon AGP card?
    >
    > Secondly, bearing in mind this is a low/mid-level system is there any
    > value in going for a 5950 Ultra or even a 6800 series card? Will they
    > just be held up by the processor? Is the best I should go for a
    > 5900XT?
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

    Oh, won't some kind soul help before I drop off the page?

    Also - is there a page comparing the same cards (in terms of chipsets
    and memory) from different manufactuers (the free games included,
    inputs and outputs etc.) Tom's Hardware is a useful site, but it only
    seems to compare generic chipsets against each other.

    "Leodiensian" <chrispoad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, won't some kind soul help before I drop off the page?
    >
    > Also - is there a page comparing the same cards (in terms of chipsets
    > and memory) from different manufactuers (the free games included,
    > inputs and outputs etc.) Tom's Hardware is a useful site, but it only
    > seems to compare generic chipsets against each other.

    Dude, waiting for couple of days should not kill you.
    First, if you have integrate MoBo, it not too good in the first place since
    you are planning to get a separate card. Integrate VGA that can not be
    disable will surely drag your preformance of your PC as a whole down. If it
    can disable the integrate VGA, FX5950 or FX5900XT should be ok. I do not
    see anything major wrong with it.

    Please note. I have not check into your MSI MoBo to be sure but generally
    speaking, it should be fine.
    Integrate VGA can not be disable, it not good.Your Onboard VGA still on and
    sharing resources. Which in-turn drag your PC perfomance down. But if it
    can, then should be fine.

    First is to goto your BIOS to disable the onboard by using the onboard.
    If can disable onboard, insert your new card to your AGP. You should be
    seeing boot-up post and continue loading into your Windows. Have your CD
    disc ready or if you have driver from some place. Use either the CD disc or
    the driver you got from the website. Install the driver and follow those
    steps.

    Some MoBo will have automatic setting to disable onboard if there another
    AGP card is install. But other may need user to manually change it setting.

    CapFusion,...

Nvidia Windows XP Graphics