Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

USB upgrade for P5/Win98

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 9:37:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

A lot of what I've read suggests I might have problems running a USB PCI
card on my 1996 motherboard. Win 98 is OK, but will my BIOS and motherboard
cope? I usually run USB devices over a network from a laptop, but would like
to run my own. Thanks for your help.

More about : usb upgrade win98

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 9:37:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Assuming you have the USB hardware there should be no problem since you are
running Win98. The speed (1.1 vs. 2.1) will be dependent upon the hardware
either incorporated or added into the system.

"Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:342qjcF45rmnrU1@individual.net...
>A lot of what I've read suggests I might have problems running a USB PCI
> card on my 1996 motherboard. Win 98 is OK, but will my BIOS and
> motherboard
> cope? I usually run USB devices over a network from a laptop, but would
> like
> to run my own. Thanks for your help.
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 5, 2005 10:52:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

There are no USB connectors on the MB and I was trying to find out if I
could use a USB PCI card before buying one.
Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:4fydnTl45t2h30HcRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> Assuming you have the USB hardware there should be no problem since you
are
> running Win98. The speed (1.1 vs. 2.1) will be dependent upon the
hardware
> either incorporated or added into the system.
>
> "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:342qjcF45rmnrU1@individual.net...
> >A lot of what I've read suggests I might have problems running a USB PCI
> > card on my 1996 motherboard. Win 98 is OK, but will my BIOS and
> > motherboard
> > cope? I usually run USB devices over a network from a laptop, but would
> > like
> > to run my own. Thanks for your help.
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2005 4:07:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Are you using Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition? It might make a
difference in USB support, not sure. I've found W98SE to be the best of the
old DOS based OS's.

You'll want to be very careful that the PCI card (you got PCI slots right?
1996 was a million years ago in PC terms) supports not only the OS version
but that the version of PCI slot on the motherboard is supported by the PCI
card.

You probably need something old (USB 1.1, PCI 2.1) like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...


"Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:342uvpF4661r9U1@individual.net...
> There are no USB connectors on the MB and I was trying to find out if I
> could use a USB PCI card before buying one.
> Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:4fydnTl45t2h30HcRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> > Assuming you have the USB hardware there should be no problem since you
> are
> > running Win98. The speed (1.1 vs. 2.1) will be dependent upon the
> hardware
> > either incorporated or added into the system.
> >
> > "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:342qjcF45rmnrU1@individual.net...
> > >A lot of what I've read suggests I might have problems running a USB
PCI
> > > card on my 1996 motherboard. Win 98 is OK, but will my BIOS and
> > > motherboard
> > > cope? I usually run USB devices over a network from a laptop, but
would
> > > like
> > > to run my own. Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 6, 2005 1:04:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

I have 98 which is OK, but the MB seems to be of a non-USB-supporting
chipset, viz. Triton 1 (430FX chipset. The little knowledge I have is
probably the dangerous thing from the proverb.
BillyDiddlyDee <BDD@nonono.com> wrote in message
news:%p4Dd.109$5J2.80@fe04.lga...
> Are you using Windows 98 or Windows 98 Second Edition? It might make a
> difference in USB support, not sure. I've found W98SE to be the best of
the
> old DOS based OS's.
>
> You'll want to be very careful that the PCI card (you got PCI slots right?
> 1996 was a million years ago in PC terms) supports not only the OS version
> but that the version of PCI slot on the motherboard is supported by the
PCI
> card.
>
> You probably need something old (USB 1.1, PCI 2.1) like this:
>
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...
rd=1
>
>
> "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:342uvpF4661r9U1@individual.net...
> > There are no USB connectors on the MB and I was trying to find out if I
> > could use a USB PCI card before buying one.
> > Tom Clydesdale <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:4fydnTl45t2h30HcRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> > > Assuming you have the USB hardware there should be no problem since
you
> > are
> > > running Win98. The speed (1.1 vs. 2.1) will be dependent upon the
> > hardware
> > > either incorporated or added into the system.
> > >
> > > "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > news:342qjcF45rmnrU1@individual.net...
> > > >A lot of what I've read suggests I might have problems running a USB
> PCI
> > > > card on my 1996 motherboard. Win 98 is OK, but will my BIOS and
> > > > motherboard
> > > > cope? I usually run USB devices over a network from a laptop, but
> would
> > > > like
> > > > to run my own. Thanks for your help.
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2005 12:02:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

It is true that the chipset has no USB support, but as long as you're
using an OS that is USB-capable (98SE minimum for full support) and buy
a card with 98SE drivers, it'll work just fine.

Most USB cards WILL NOT work with 95 or 98, First Edition, even with
drivers.



Mark Dunn wrote:
> I have 98 which is OK, but the MB seems to be of a non-USB-supporting
> chipset, viz. Triton 1 (430FX chipset. The little knowledge I have is
> probably the dangerous thing from the proverb.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 7, 2005 2:29:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

Thanks to all. I have 98 installed and also have a genuine 98SE disk, which
I assume I can install if I have a problem.
Edward J. Neth <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:3468smF42mqtsU1@individual.net...
> It is true that the chipset has no USB support, but as long as you're
> using an OS that is USB-capable (98SE minimum for full support) and buy
> a card with 98SE drivers, it'll work just fine.
>
> Most USB cards WILL NOT work with 95 or 98, First Edition, even with
> drivers.
>
>
>
> Mark Dunn wrote:
> > I have 98 which is OK, but the MB seems to be of a non-USB-supporting
> > chipset, viz. Triton 1 (430FX chipset. The little knowledge I have is
> > probably the dangerous thing from the proverb.
!