Hi,
I have a NVIDIA GeForce 440 MX card. In my advanced chipset settings in
bios i see that there is an option called AGP aperture size. This can be
set tp 32MB/64MB/128MB/256MB. What does it mean. What is the optimum
setting for that if I have 64MB video RAM in my card
regards
Tanveer

"Tanveer Singh" <tanveer@ti.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a NVIDIA GeForce 440 MX card. In my advanced chipset settings in
> bios i see that there is an option called AGP aperture size. This can be
> set tp 32MB/64MB/128MB/256MB. What does it mean. What is the optimum
> setting for that if I have 64MB video RAM in my card
> regards
> Tanveer

Normally set the aperture size to half of your system memory. Aperture
[reserve] where you set is to where it temperary store your video data that
your vga memory is full. Using your system memory will drag your PC
performance down. 64MB on your MX card should be enough for simple game or
3D application. Any heavy 3D game or 3D application like CAD, you may need a
better card.

CapFusion,...

Tanveer Singh wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a NVIDIA GeForce 440 MX card. In my advanced chipset settings in
> bios i see that there is an option called AGP aperture size. This can be
> set tp 32MB/64MB/128MB/256MB. What does it mean. What is the optimum
> setting for that if I have 64MB video RAM in my card
> regards
> Tanveer

256MB system RAM or less -- set it to 128.
256MB+ -- set it to 128.

This is the optimum size you can set without flooding the gart table and
decreasing your rasterization performance.

alex

how much system memory do you have?

Alex wrote:
> how much system memory do you have?

Alex,
I have 256MB DDR Memory and my card is 64MB.
I asked this question because i am seeing a peculiar problem while
running graphics intensive games. Sometimes the game exits with illegal
operation. After that i cannot run any game as all games exit with
illegal operation. I have to restart windows. Increasing this size from
64MB to 128MB reduced the frequency of this happening.
Tanveer

> "Tanveer Singh" <tanveer@ti.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>I have a NVIDIA GeForce 440 MX card. In my advanced chipset settings in
>>bios i see that there is an option called AGP aperture size. This can be
>>set tp 32MB/64MB/128MB/256MB. What does it mean. What is the optimum
>>setting for that if I have 64MB video RAM in my card
>>regards
>>Tanveer

The setting for the aperture is based on how much system memory, and how much
video memory you have.
The aperture is how much system memory you want to use for video memory. It
doesn't get used unless neccesary, and the memory is given back to the system
if needed.

64 Megs or 128 Megs are both OK. In your case because your video card has only
64 megs instead of 128 I would set it for 128Megs and only then because you
have 256 Megs system memory.
If you only had 128 Megs of system memory then a setting of 64Megs would
probably be better.

The aperture is usually set to half of system memory, but the graphic cards
today have quite a bit of their own memory so a setting of half might not be
needed.

Your problem does not sound related to aperture size. It might help the problem
a little bit but is not the cause.

I would suggest removing your drivers and re-installing them. I would use
44.03's which are pretty good for the older Geforce cards such as yours.

I would also install or reinstall DirectX 9.0b if its not installed.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 15:28:21 +0530 As another one bit the dust Tanveer
Singh <tanveer@ti.com> wrote :

>Hi,
>I have a NVIDIA GeForce 440 MX card. In my advanced chipset settings in
>bios i see that there is an option called AGP aperture size. This can be
>set tp 32MB/64MB/128MB/256MB. What does it mean. What is the optimum
>setting for that if I have 64MB video RAM in my card
>regards
>Tanveer

64 meg.All other settings are pretty meaningless.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de