FX equivalent to GF4 ti4200?

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

Hi.

I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old
GF2 MX and looking for a replacement :(
As the current range of Nvidia cards are really confusing, which FX series
card would be the equivalent in performance to the GF4 ti4200?
The FX5600 or the FX5700LE are in my price range, but which would be a
better choice? The LE nonsense sounds to me like the 5700LE is a cut down
version that could possibly be outperformed by the "full" 5600.
Any suggestions or links to reliable reviews would be greatly appreciated
:)

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer

"jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old
> GF2 MX and looking for a replacement :(
> As the current range of Nvidia cards are really confusing, which FX series
> card would be the equivalent in performance to the GF4 ti4200?
> The FX5600 or the FX5700LE are in my price range, but which would be a
> better choice? The LE nonsense sounds to me like the 5700LE is a cut down
> version that could possibly be outperformed by the "full" 5600.
> Any suggestions or links to reliable reviews would be greatly appreciated
> :)

FX5700 [non LE] should be about abit faster Ti4400 level
FX5700 should close to Ti4600.
Better if you can get the Ultra version instead.

My ¼ penny

CapFusion,...

> I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old

What happened (I'm thinking about replacing my ti4200 fan with a
passive cooler from Zalman, so I might end up like you did now :)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:26:34 +0200, wrote:

>> I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old
>
> What happened (I'm thinking about replacing my ti4200 fan with a
> passive cooler from Zalman, so I might end up like you did now :)

I got a vantec cooler and in the processof installation, accidentally
knocked off one of the vlsi chips which promptly buried itself into the
carpet. I didn't realise it until I started troubleshooting the lack of
boot action and I brushed the one next to it off with my finger. It had
also been damaged probably while removing the old heatsink.
A bit of a ah heck really so be careful when you do your upgrade!
At least I'll have some RAM heatsinks for my new FX card now as I doubt
the new main heatsink will be compatible ;)

--

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:00:11 -0700, CapFusion wrote:

> FX5700 [non LE] should be about abit faster Ti4400 level
> FX5700 should close to Ti4600.
> Better if you can get the Ultra version instead.
>
> My ¼ penny
>
> CapFusion,...

Better stretch my budget another 20 euros to get plain 5700 then? ;)
A slight increase in speed with better eye candy sounds good to me.
cheers!

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer
Livewire Airlines
http://www.livewireairlines.com/

The 5600Ultra is pretty close in performance to the Ti4200...

Tim

"jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message
> Hi.
>
> I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old
> GF2 MX and looking for a replacement :(
> As the current range of Nvidia cards are really confusing, which FX series
> card would be the equivalent in performance to the GF4 ti4200?
> The FX5600 or the FX5700LE are in my price range, but which would be a
> better choice? The LE nonsense sounds to me like the 5700LE is a cut down
> version that could possibly be outperformed by the "full" 5600.
> Any suggestions or links to reliable reviews would be greatly appreciated
> :)
>
> --
> Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
> Senior 1st Officer
> Livewire Airlines
> http://www.livewireairlines.com/

Ditto: 5600 Ultra.

Shows how good nVidia "used" to make cards, and how lame they have got.

A good ti4200 as fast, or faster then a newer 5600u.
A good GF3 ti faster then a crippled GF 4 MX.

"t thome" <t_thome@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The 5600Ultra is pretty close in performance to the Ti4200...
>
> Tim
>
> "jafar" <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net> wrote in message
> > Hi.
> >
> > I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my
old
> > GF2 MX and looking for a replacement :(
> > As the current range of Nvidia cards are really confusing, which FX
series
> > card would be the equivalent in performance to the GF4 ti4200?
> > The FX5600 or the FX5700LE are in my price range, but which would be a
> > better choice? The LE nonsense sounds to me like the 5700LE is a cut
down
> > version that could possibly be outperformed by the "full" 5600.
> > Any suggestions or links to reliable reviews would be greatly
appreciated
> > :)
> >
> > --
> > Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
> > Senior 1st Officer
> > Livewire Airlines
> > http://www.livewireairlines.com/

Just bought a 5700 with 256mb ram to replace my Ti 4200 64 mb ram and
it doesnt compare to the Ti4200. close on some benchmarks but does
not beat it .

==============

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:32:22 +0200, jafar <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net>
wrote:

>Hi.
>
>I just finished destroying my GF4 ti4200 so I'm currently back with my old
>GF2 MX and looking for a replacement :(
>As the current range of Nvidia cards are really confusing, which FX series
>card would be the equivalent in performance to the GF4 ti4200?
>The FX5600 or the FX5700LE are in my price range, but which would be a
>better choice? The LE nonsense sounds to me like the 5700LE is a cut down
>version that could possibly be outperformed by the "full" 5600.
>Any suggestions or links to reliable reviews would be greatly appreciated
>:)

At least a 5600Pro... a 5700SE is still slower than a 5600Pro.

Cheapest for the power is the $170 isi the 5900xr

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

jafar

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:15:01 -0400, DexterGaspard wrote:

> Just bought a 5700 with 256mb ram to replace my Ti 4200 64 mb ram and
> it doesnt compare to the Ti4200. close on some benchmarks but does
> not beat it .

How close are we talking here? A few fps? Fullscreen AA on? If I can get
close to the same framerate but have extra eye candy, I'll be happy.

--
Jafar As-Sadiq Calley
Senior 1st Officer
Livewire Airlines
http://www.livewireairlines.com/

On 29 Jun 2004 00:15:01 -0400,
dexterg@mobiletel-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (DexterGaspard) wrote:

>Just bought a 5700 with 256mb ram to replace my Ti 4200 64 mb ram and
>it doesnt compare to the Ti4200. close on some benchmarks but does
>not beat it .

Get your money back... get at least a 5900xt or 9800Pro (256bit RAM)
for a bit more money.

- - - - -

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:57:55 +0200, jafar <jafar@fatcat.delicats.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 00:15:01 -0400, DexterGaspard wrote:
>
>> Just bought a 5700 with 256mb ram to replace my Ti 4200 64 mb ram and
>> it doesnt compare to the Ti4200. close on some benchmarks but does
>> not beat it .
>
>How close are we talking here? A few fps? Fullscreen AA on? If I can get
>close to the same framerate but have extra eye candy, I'll be happy.

Not worth it... an UPGRADE is supposed to give you a noticable
IMPROVEMENT in performance.

A plain 5700 (128/256mb) is still slower than a Ti4200... or worse
(5700xt/le whatever).... A card that is over 2 years old.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

TRENDING THREADS