Forceware 61.40

Hi guys,
Running XP I do wonder - necessary to uninstalling my old Forceware driver
*before* installing the newer one, like in 98SE, or can I just install over
without messing up anything?

thx

Steve

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi guys,
> Running XP I do wonder - necessary to uninstalling my old Forceware driver
> *before* installing the newer one, like in 98SE, or can I just install
over
> without messing up anything?

You should always uninstall your current driver before installing the new
one.

Maniac

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

MheAd <cosibeg@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You should always uninstall your current driver before installing the
> new one.

Would you tell me why?

--
maniac(at)chello.pl
BP Bemowo Team

maniac wrote:
> MheAd <cosibeg@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>You should always uninstall your current driver before installing the
>>new one.
>

> Would you tell me why?

Leftovers. Especially prevalent with different NView versions, can
cause all kinds of errors due to mismatched versions (since some might
be in use at time of driver install).

Maniac

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

deimos <deimos@localhost.net> wrote:

> Leftovers. Especially prevalent with different NView versions, can
> cause all kinds of errors due to mismatched versions (since some might
> be in use at time of driver install).

Actually... You don't have to do uninstall/install process... All you need
to do is installing new drivers with software and to restart your
computer... ;/ Older files will be replaced with the new ones. (Win2k,
WinXP, WinME, Win98)
Win95 is the another world.

--
maniac(at)chello.pl
BP Bemowo Team

"maniac" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> deimos <deimos@localhost.net> wrote:
>
> > Leftovers. Especially prevalent with different NView versions, can
> > cause all kinds of errors due to mismatched versions (since some might
> > be in use at time of driver install).
>
> Actually... You don't have to do uninstall/install process... All you need
> to do is installing new drivers with software and to restart your
> computer... ;/ Older files will be replaced with the new ones. (Win2k,
> WinXP, WinME, Win98)
> Win95 is the another world.

It fine to keep the old driver and try to reinstall the new over the old.
But it not a good practice especially for those that do not do this too
often and may get into trouble. Windows 98 driver carry over to Windows XP
is not good idea from the beginning. Normally XP will detect and install a
generic XP driver for nvidia card.

It is BEST to uninstall old driver or existing driver. Then install the new
driver.

CapFusion,...

It would be real nice if Nvidia had an employee assigned to patrol this
forum and they answered this question - or if someone (I'll try it) posed
this question to their tech support. So far, though, I've had zero response
from them in the past.
I love how Microsoft has guys patrolling newsgroups relating to them and
answering questions. Fast, too.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> It would be real nice if Nvidia had an employee assigned to patrol this
> forum and they answered this question - or if someone (I'll try it) posed
> this question to their tech support. So far, though, I've had zero
response
> from them in the past.
> I love how Microsoft has guys patrolling newsgroups relating to them and
> answering questions. Fast, too.

Many times the answers are on the manufacturer's web site, such as the
answer to do a correct install for updated Nvidia drivers. They do this to
allow their tech support time to solve actual problems. It saves us time and
them time and money.................................................
http://www.nvidia.com/object/driver_installation_hints.html

HTH,
Bob

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:33:23 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>It would be real nice if Nvidia had an employee assigned to patrol this
>forum and they answered this question - or if someone (I'll try it) posed
>this question to their tech support. So far, though, I've had zero response
>from them in the past.
>I love how Microsoft has guys patrolling newsgroups relating to them and
>answering questions. Fast, too.

I have had no trouble installing official-release nVidia drivers
directly over old ones. However, I do not play with any beta-releases,
which are very likely to contain test-files, which may not be removed
and thus cause trouble with subsequent installs.

Of course, there is Driver Cleaner and other utilities
available for those in trouble with residual driver trash.

Ummm.......... 61.40 is not an official nVidia driver
release............ It is not even available on the eVGA
web-site, who tend to have the earliest release of all
official nVidia drivers.

The 61.xx drivers are distinctly beta, intended for the 6800 at
present, so that the product can be shipped to 'early adopters',
and certainly not QC'd at all for the FX series. So YMMV.
Anyway, the driver design is incomplete and does not
support the 6800 on-chip video processor.

John Lewis

> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:33:23 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

> The 61.xx drivers are distinctly beta, intended for the 6800 at
> present, so that the product can be shipped to 'early adopters',
> and certainly not QC'd at all for the FX series. So YMMV.
> Anyway, the driver design is incomplete and does not
> support the 6800 on-chip video processor.

Thx for all your thoughts, guys!
I installed over by updating the driver (device manager) - this is mentioned
in the installation instructions included with the driver. Since XP creates
a restore point there is always a roll back possible. Well, yes, Betas are
up to 61.75 available. However, it amazes me how different Far Cry/UT2003
looks to me with this driver. It seems the detail level has been greatly
improved even for my G4 MX440 card which is supported by this Beta. The cave
areas (walls) now look like real stone walls (more corny) with detailed
concrete support beams and power lines at the ceiling. The lightning in the
cave has been particially improved as well. So far no real problems with
this driver - all works smooth except an occational screen flash in Far Cry
only (sync problem). I do wonder why is the nvidia driver development so far
behind the hardware? Usually, a driver should be *finalised* by start of a
new product line, but Nvidia seems to have this policy reversed - The
drivers are always finalised by the *end* of a product line. Not exactly
impressive, isnt it?

greetings from Brisbane (Australia)

Steve

"maniac" <no@mail.com> wrote in message
> deimos <deimos@localhost.net> wrote:
>
> > Leftovers. Especially prevalent with different NView versions, can
> > cause all kinds of errors due to mismatched versions (since some might
> > be in use at time of driver install).
>
> Actually... You don't have to do uninstall/install process... All you need
> to do is installing new drivers with software and to restart your
> computer... ;/ Older files will be replaced with the new ones. (Win2k,
> WinXP, WinME, Win98)
> Win95 is the another world.

Not necessarily. If the new version does not have the same filenames as old
versions, leftovers are certainly left behind (unless of course the new version
tries to uninstall old filenames...).

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:41:25 GMT, "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:33:23 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>
> I do wonder why is the nvidia driver development so far
>behind the hardware? Usually, a driver should be *finalised* by start of a
>new product line, but Nvidia seems to have this policy reversed - The
>drivers are always finalised by the *end* of a product line. Not exactly
>impressive, isnt it?

Same for Ati and X800. Look at the relevant threads.

Brand new hardware takes a critical mass of "beta-testers"
(including paying customers) to help push driver code to
maturity.An endemic issue on a platform with as many different
hardware configurations as a PC.

BIOS, MB, Audio, Video, Storage Peripherals all have
code/driver updates after initial release.

John Lewis

>greetings from Brisbane (Australia)
>
>Steve

TRENDING THREADS