privacy - email I sent to Nvidia they ignored

Hi -

I'm running one of your 5950ultra cards and I love it.
I'm also in the market for the 6800 when it arrives.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter so that I can be informed when new
drivers come out.
However, lately, I've become overly conscious of spam for obvious reasons.
So I took a trip to your privacy policy page and read it.

While it says you are "... not in the business of selling information about
our customers or visitors to our website...", the last phrase of the
following paragraph, which says, "...they too can offer you useful
information and special offers...", to me means you can still do so
("provide information" to "other companies") if you want. I think the only
way I would sign up for your newsletter is if you changed this paragraph in
your privacy policy to more clearly state that you absolutely will not share
anyone's email address with any company... OR... if you were to put a
checkbox next to the input text field where you ask for email address and if
that checkbox is checked, the email address given is guaranteed safe from
being handed out to anyone outside your company for any reason. Here is the
paragraph I'm talking about:

We are not in the business of selling information about our customers or
visitors to our website. We may, however, share information with select
partners working with us to deliver better graphics and multimedia
capabilities. We work with other companies throughout the design,
manufacturing, integration, delivery, support, and servicing process, and
may provide information we have collected to them to assist in improving
their processes and so that they too can offer you useful information and
special offers.

I'm eager to hear from you about this. I am a loyal Nvidia customer who
would love to put my fear of spam aside and subscribe to your newsletter.

Sincerely,

--
Scotter

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:35:53 GMT, "Scotter" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I'm running one of your 5950ultra cards and I love it.
>I'm also in the market for the 6800 when it arrives.
>I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter so that I can be informed when new
>drivers come out.
>However, lately, I've become overly conscious of spam for obvious reasons.
>So I took a trip to your privacy policy page and read it.
>
>While it says you are "... not in the business of selling information about
>our customers or visitors to our website...", the last phrase of the
>following paragraph, which says, "...they too can offer you useful
>information and special offers...", to me means you can still do so
>("provide information" to "other companies") if you want. I think the only
>way I would sign up for your newsletter is if you changed this paragraph in
>your privacy policy to more clearly state that you absolutely will not share
>anyone's email address with any company...

1) Even if a company had a more forceful security statement, doesn't
mean they'll live up to it.

2) Subscribe with a disposable email account from hotmail or yahoo or
any such service, or if you manage adomain create an account
specifically for this signup. If spam starts coming in, you know
who's the culprit.

3) Just visit the website every now and then and look for the new
drivers.

-s-

Scotter wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm running one of your 5950ultra cards and I love it.
> I'm also in the market for the 6800 when it arrives.
> I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter so that I can be informed when new
> drivers come out.
> However, lately, I've become overly conscious of spam for obvious reasons.
> So I took a trip to your privacy policy page and read it.
>
> While it says you are "... not in the business of selling information about
> our customers or visitors to our website...", the last phrase of the
> following paragraph, which says, "...they too can offer you useful
> information and special offers...", to me means you can still do so
> ("provide information" to "other companies") if you want. I think the only
> way I would sign up for your newsletter is if you changed this paragraph in
> your privacy policy to more clearly state that you absolutely will not share
> anyone's email address with any company... OR... if you were to put a
> checkbox next to the input text field where you ask for email address and if
> that checkbox is checked, the email address given is guaranteed safe from
> being handed out to anyone outside your company for any reason. Here is the
> paragraph I'm talking about:
>
> We are not in the business of selling information about our customers or
> visitors to our website. We may, however, share information with select
> partners working with us to deliver better graphics and multimedia
> capabilities. We work with other companies throughout the design,
> manufacturing, integration, delivery, support, and servicing process, and
> may provide information we have collected to them to assist in improving
> their processes and so that they too can offer you useful information and
> special offers.
>
> I'm eager to hear from you about this. I am a loyal Nvidia customer who
> would love to put my fear of spam aside and subscribe to your newsletter.
>
> Sincerely,

You should really understand that NVidia is mostly for developer
relations. You yourself are not an NVidia customer, you are a eVGA,
Leadtek, MSI, BFG, Chaintech, etc, customer. NVidia only designs the
chips, then contracts out for manufacturing.

Also, use a junk email account. Yahoo now has a real big limit and the
spam filtering is first rate.

Unless a company is non-profit or directly makes profit from customer
relations, you should in no way expect a solid privacy policy whereupon
your information is NEVER shared. But the most you'd ever receive is
maybe a few ads from related manufacturers, not spam. I highly doubt
NVidia would ever sell an email address for spam, especially since
developers are on that list too.