Apple Releases Mac OS X Lion 10.7 as Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
wow, the entire blogesphere had this story plus the release of new Airs, Minis and a screen that costs $949 and Tom's puts just the Lion news online at 12:20PM??? Please, give up on giving us all the news and focus on getting it on time.

3 days from now you'll put up the news that Lion has "Internet Recovery"... I mean this was one of the best blogs on the web, I have been in this industry for over 15 years - I love this blog, but if this doesn't change in the next few months - I'm giving up...

G

Wow, so they aren't distributing a physical copy of it but are still charging the same price? I think they should charge less. Basically, they're just making more money.

sunflier

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]janella15[/nom]I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, BidsNew.com[/citation]
Not quite sure what that has to do with this article...but thank you for that.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Download only, sooo, what happens if the harddrive dies and you have to replace it? Sure, you'll probably take it to an Apple store, and they might replace the whole machine or something (especially if it's a macbook air), but if you only replace the harddrive, how do you get Lion back onto the machine? Do you have to use the restoration USB stick from the version that came with the computer, then re-download the Lion installation, that sounds like too much hassle. They should allow people to download Lion to a USB stick. That way, you can purchase Lion in the Apple store, download it to your own USB stick (no $40 mark up a month from now), and install it at home. That beats lugging-in your MacPro, 28-inch widescreen monitor, keyboard and mouse in to an Apple store just to install the new OS. I mean, really, if you are one of the few companies that uses Macs, would you want to download the new OS to each computer? There must be a friendly way of distributing the new OS. Downloading is the modern method, but that doesn't mean it's the best method for everyone.

No different than re-installing Windows 7 from the upgrade version, but that's Microsoft. I expect Apple to be smarter, why else pay them so much money (for the computer, I wouldn't mind $30 Windows upgrades)?

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Just bring in your hard drive and give your specs to the iStore, they will take care of the rest...or as a typical iUser: just bring your main unit to the iStore and leave mouse, keyboard, display, even power cord, etc at home...

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Download only, sooo, what happens if the harddrive dies and you have to replace it? Sure, you'll probably take it to an Apple store, and they might replace the whole machine or something (especially if it's a macbook air), but if you only replace the harddrive, how do you get Lion back onto the machine? Do you have to use the restoration USB stick from the version that came with the computer, then re-download the Lion installation, that sounds like too much hassle. They should allow people to download Lion to a USB stick. That way, you can purchase Lion in the Apple store, download it to your own USB stick (no $40 mark up a month from now), and install it at home. That beats lugging-in your MacPro, 28-inch widescreen monitor, keyboard and mouse in to an Apple store just to install the new OS. I mean, really, if you are one of the few companies that uses Macs, would you want to download the new OS to each computer? There must be a friendly way of distributing the new OS. Downloading is the modern method, but that doesn't mean it's the best method for everyone.No different than re-installing Windows 7 from the upgrade version, but that's Microsoft. I expect Apple to be smarter, why else pay them so much money (for the computer, I wouldn't mind $30 Windows upgrades)?[/citation]
I purchased the "upgrade only" version of snow leopard for 29.99 when it came out and it installed on a blank hard drive with no problem. Even though the Apple Geniuses said it would not work. maybe this one will be the same.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]Just bring in your hard drive and give your specs to the iStore, they will take care of the rest...or as a typical iUser: just bring your main unit to the iStore and leave mouse, keyboard, display, even power cord, etc at home...[/citation]
I don't like that...I like the download...but let me put it on a disc or thumb drive I can boot from!

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]frozenlead[/nom]??????? That sounds secure. Gotta read up on this one..[/citation]
Probably including security that's as effective as WEP.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]janella15[/nom]I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, BidsNew.com[/citation]
I imagine the person who reported you spent $0.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Download only, sooo, what happens if the harddrive dies and you have to replace it? Sure, you'll probably take it to an Apple store, and they might replace the whole machine or something (especially if it's a macbook air), but if you only replace the harddrive, how do you get Lion back onto the machine? Do you have to use the restoration USB stick from the version that came with the computer, then re-download the Lion installation, that sounds like too much hassle. They should allow people to download Lion to a USB stick. That way, you can purchase Lion in the Apple store, download it to your own USB stick (no $40 mark up a month from now), and install it at home. That beats lugging-in your MacPro, 28-inch widescreen monitor, keyboard and mouse in to an Apple store just to install the new OS. I mean, really, if you are one of the few companies that uses Macs, would you want to download the new OS to each computer? There must be a friendly way of distributing the new OS. Downloading is the modern method, but that doesn't mean it's the best method for everyone.No different than re-installing Windows 7 from the upgrade version, but that's Microsoft. I expect Apple to be smarter, why else pay them so much money (for the computer, I wouldn't mind $30 Windows upgrades)?[/citation]

Cupcake, it's called Internet Recovery - You take your mac with a fresh drive and when you boot with a key combination it will prompt you to connect with Ethernet or over wireless to the internet. It then does it's thing, formats the drive, downloads the OS and installs...

Brilliant - May we please have that in the next version of Windows? :)

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]thebigt42[/nom]I don't like that...I like the download...but let me put it on a disc or thumb drive I can boot from![/citation]

You can create a boot disk - if you look online there are instructions - other blogs of course...

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]ummm...didn't I once hear that Apple was supposed to be state of the art...because I think windows has had this since like win95...[/citation]
Full screen mode isn't new to Mac OS.

What's new is that it's unified across the system. Haven't installed Lion yet, but I think the idea is that you can take any app into full screen mode, whether it's designed for it or not.
+ a way of switching between multiple full screen apps.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
And no Apple I am not going to do this. Release it on a Fing DVD.

Creating a Bootable Install Disc for Mac OS X Lion

Download Mac OS X Lion from the Mac App Store
From the Mac OS X Finder, locate the Mac OS X Installation file that was downloaded, right-click, and “Show Package Contents”
Find and open the “SharedSupport” folder and locate a disc image file called “InstallESD.dmg”
Copy “InstallESD.dmg” to your Mac OS X Desktop, this is the Lion disk image and what you’re going to create the bootable DVD from
Now launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/), pop in a blank DVD, select the “InstallESD.DMG” file, and click on “Burn”

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]Just priced out a 15 inch Macbook Pro. Look what you get for $2,000!2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i74GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpmSuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display **STILL NOT 1080****Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's GuideAccessory KitThat's f'ing insane! My wife's laptop was $1,100 (after tax) and was better in every way other than her i5 process last December! Wtf is wrong with the world?!?![/citation]

Don't hate them until you've actually tried one.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Yea, cause you know...WEP is so secure. (I can crack WEP encryption in seconds)I personally would go with WPA-2, or at least WPA RADIUS if your router is too old for WPA-2. (In addition to using MAC address filtering)[/citation]It was pretty obvious that he was implying their security would be piss poor like WEP. But thank you anyway, Captain Obvious.[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Cupcake, it's called Internet Recovery - You take your mac with a fresh drive and when you boot with a key combination it will prompt you to connect with Ethernet or over wireless to the internet. It then does it's thing, formats the drive, downloads the OS and installs... Brilliant - May we please have that in the next version of Windows?[/citation]I'd rather be able to quickly retore everything, down to the last program, file, setting, and whatwhosit. You know, via WHS or a myriad of other automatic backup schemes that already exist, local and offsite (though obviously local is preferred for speed in backup and restoration).

Cupcake.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Downloaded it, using it. Like most software, the initial release is buggy, and it is no different with Lion.

[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]FU Apple and you app store, not going to put on either my Macs. Release it on a DVD and I will consider it.[/citation]
DVDs aren't on the table right now. But, they are going to release Lion later on USB drives that you can go buy at the store. Problem is, it'll cost $69 instead of $29.

And whats wrong with downloading? The last time I actually owned an operating system on disk was Windows 98. Win XP/Vista/7 & Mac Panther/Tiger/Leo/SnowLeo/Lion I've all downloaded online (legally I might add).

tgoyer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
OSX v10.7? So essentially you are spending $30 to get SP7 for OSX. Not sure what the excitement is all about.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tgoyer[/nom]OSX v10.7? So essentially you are spending $30 to get SP7 for OSX. Not sure what the excitement is all about.[/citation]
It's not really a service pack. I mean, I suppose 10.6 and 10.7 were running the same core operating system. But beyond that, it is not really a service pack.

It is comparable to upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7, except that upgrade is $100, while this upgrade is $30.

Status
Not open for further replies.