"Hot" card of Pentium2 era?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.

The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?

Many thanks!

Travis
13 answers Last reply
More about card pentium2
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Travis utbrast:

    > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    >
    > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Travis

    Voodoo 5 5500?
    --
    ÐIÇK

    Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I'd go with a Voodoo3 3500. I think that's what I had in my old Dell
    P2-333.

    - cs

    "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message

    > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    >
    > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Travis

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    VooDoo 5500 hands down!

    Dauntless

    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

    "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
    -Bob Dylan-

    "Dick Andersson" <postadress68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Travis utbrast:
    >
    > > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    > >
    > > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    > >
    > > Many thanks!
    > >
    > > Travis
    >
    > Voodoo 5 5500?
    > --
    > ÐIÇK
    >
    > Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks for the reply, but the Voodoo 5 5500 does *not* support TV
    Out.

    > VooDoo 5500 hands down!

    -------------
    > Dauntless
    >
    > "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in
    > pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    broadside, thoroughly
    > used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a
    ride!"
    > -Stuart Wilde-
    >
    > "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
    > -Bob Dylan-
    >

    > "Dick Andersson" <postadress68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Travis utbrast:
    > >
    > > > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > > > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days,
    maybe
    > > > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search
    Ebay for
    > > > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    > > >
    > > > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > > > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently
    replaced
    > > > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game
    duty to a
    > > > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red
    Baron,
    > > > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > > > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with
    the
    > > > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I
    haven't
    > > > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Travis
    > >
    > > Voodoo 5 5500?
    > > --
    > > ÐIÇK
    > >
    > > Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    > Dauntless
    >
    > "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
    > pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    > used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!"
    > -Stuart Wilde-
    >
    > "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
    > -Bob Dylan-
    >

    > "Dick Andersson" <postadress68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Travis utbrast:
    > >
    > > > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > > > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > > > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > > > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    > > >
    > > > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > > > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > > > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > > > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > > > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > > > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > > > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > > > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Travis
    > >
    > > Voodoo 5 5500?
    > > --
    > > ÐIÇK
    > >
    > > Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.

    Voodoo 5500 doesn't have TV out. If you really need this feature then
    try Voodoo3 3000 (with TV out) or the V3 3500.

    But if performance is more important than TV out then V5500 is the
    your best bet.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Many thanks for reading my post. The Voodoo3 3500 does have TV
    Out as well as the Glide support I'm looking for.

    "coffeesavant" <coffeesavant@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'd go with a Voodoo3 3500. I think that's what I had in my
    old Dell
    > P2-333.
    >
    > - cs
    >

    > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days,
    maybe
    > > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay
    for
    > > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    > >
    > > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently
    replaced
    > > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty
    to a
    > > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red
    Baron,
    > > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I
    haven't
    > > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    > >
    > > Many thanks!
    > >
    > > Travis

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    I don't think that the Voodoo5 5500 had TV out, IIRC. Otherwise, it would be
    the card that you're looking for (if you can find one).

    Dauntless wrote:

    > VooDoo 5500 hands down!

    > Dauntless
    >
    > "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
    > pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    > used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!"
    > -Stuart Wilde-
    >
    > "Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now."
    > -Bob Dylan-
    >
    > "Dick Andersson" <postadress68@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Travis utbrast:
    > >
    > > > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > > > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > > > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > > > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    > > >
    > > > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > > > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > > > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > > > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > > > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > > > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > > > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > > > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    > > >
    > > > Many thanks!
    > > >
    > > > Travis
    > >
    > > Voodoo 5 5500?
    > > --
    > > ÐIÇK
    > >
    > > Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Travis wrote:

    > Many thanks for reading my post. The Voodoo3 3500 does have TV
    > Out as well as the Glide support I'm looking for.
    >

    >---snip----

    Don't forget to check out voodoofiles.com for drivers for 2K/XP. I'm
    running a voodoo2 on a K6-III 550MHz XP pro system for Wing Commander
    Prophecy. Also try

    http://www.3dfxzone.it/index.php

    These are 3rd party drivers, fast and relatively stable. Use it on the
    Voodoo2 and just have a few triangle glitches once in a while. Works
    way better than the wrappers I've tried for my G4.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Voodoo 3 series with a tv-out. Great for glide!
    I was running this baby in a k6-2 500. Pretty good picture quality ,
    and Unreal Tournament/Undying/etc. ran just flawless!

    HTH
    regards
    orlando

    Travis wrote:
    > Could someone recommend what might have been the hottest,
    > old-style AGP slot card around in the late Pentium 2 days, maybe
    > 2000-2001, to replace my tired TNT? I could then search Ebay for
    > it. I need Glide support and TV out, preferably S-Video.
    >
    > The 1998 "STB Velocity 4400 w/TV Out" is in my old Pentium
    > 2(400MHz/128MB/Soyo SY-6BA motherboard/W98se) recently replaced
    > by a new Dell and networked downstairs for Web and game duty to a
    > new Sony flatscreen. It will never equal the Dell for Red Baron,
    > et al, and I'm guessing dgVoodoo is way too demanding for a
    > P2/400 *regardless* of the card (sure is impossible with the
    > TNT), so inherent Glide support is probably important. I haven't
    > been keeping up, but is Voodoo 5 a candidate? Voodoo 3?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    >
    > Travis

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Travis utbrast:

    > Thanks for the reply, but the Voodoo 5 5500 does *not* support TV
    > Out.

    Arrgh! No, it does not. Sorry!

    --
    ÐIÇK

    Släpp inte Mehdi Gezali.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Thanks for the kind words, folks. 'Got pointed to a V3 3500, but
    I really don't need capture. 'Finally got a Voodoo3 3000, AGP, 16
    meg, S-video out, plentiful at Amazon, not to be found at Ebay
    6-26, although Ebay has *lots* of 3500s.

    I paid $30 at Amazon, includes shipping. Most are priced around
    $60 (!) but have the factory CD. I opted for the cheapo that
    didn't have drivers and went to DriversGuide.com for
    CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe, apparently good for all Win OS.
    I'll report back on results.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    DriverGuide.com's "CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe"'s 8MB package
    stalled on setup. ("Error 2894")

    A second file, v3w9x-figs-oem.exe, 5MB, installed fine and is
    running Glide beautifully in Janes WW2F and
    EAW. But ...

    Red Baron 3D, the reason I got the card, runs with the ground and
    fuselage blanked, screen semi-blinking and sick green colors in
    the 2D cockpit -- argh. Any ideas? I forced an RB3D "rbprefs.dat"
    re-write, but that did
    nothing. I un-installed, re-installed the drivers a few times.
    "Force mipmapping" or something in the 3Dfx Control
    Panel? etc?

    Advice appreciated. travis@charbeneau.net

    the system is a 1998 P2/400/128MB/W98-SE/DX7 (not yet running the
    V3 to TV but an NEC 17" CRT VGA)

    V3 info: from Device Manager, etc.:

    3Dfx Interactive Inc. ver 4.12.01.1213 (C) 10-25-99
    Hardware ver 001, BIOS ver 1.00.1, 3Dfx Tools ver 1.5.1.54

    (displayed in Device Manager/Properties)
    3DFX163.DRV
    3DFXV3.VXD (vmm32.vxd [vdd.vxd])

    (and located with these in \windows\system):

    3DFXOGL.DLL 11-11-99
    3DFXSPL2.DLL 10-22-99
    3DFXSPL3.DLL 10-22-99
    3DFXCmn.DLL 10-22-99
    3DFXCpa.DLL 10-22-99
    GLIDE2X.DLL 11-5-99
    GLIDE3X.DLL 11-7-99

    > Thanks for the kind words, folks. 'Got pointed to a V3 3500,
    but
    > I really don't need capture. 'Finally got a Voodoo3 3000, AGP,
    16
    > meg, S-video out, plentiful at Amazon, not to be found at Ebay
    > 6-26, although Ebay has *lots* of 3500s.
    >
    > I paid $30 at Amazon, includes shipping. Most are priced around
    > $60 (!) but have the factory CD. I opted for the cheapo that
    > didn't have drivers and went to DriversGuide.com for
    > CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe, apparently good for all Win OS.
    > I'll report back on results.

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.flight-sim (More info?)

    Fooling around with a Glide wrapper 2 weeks back, the wonderful
    dgVoodoo on the hopeless TNT1, left a copy of GLIDE2X.DLL in the
    RB3D main directory. Removing it enabled RB3D to get to Glide
    World.

    Victory!

    And many thanks to anyone who, in the ten minutes since my
    original call-for-help post, spent any thoughts working on a
    solution for me!

    Travis

    > DriverGuide.com's "CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe"'s 8MB
    package
    > stalled on setup. ("Error 2894")
    >
    > A second file, v3w9x-figs-oem.exe, 5MB, installed fine and is
    > running Glide beautifully in Janes WW2F and
    > EAW. But ...
    >
    > Red Baron 3D, the reason I got the card, runs with the ground
    and
    > fuselage blanked, screen semi-blinking and sick green colors in
    > the 2D cockpit -- argh. Any ideas? I forced an RB3D
    "rbprefs.dat"
    > re-write, but that did
    > nothing. I un-installed, re-installed the drivers a few times.
    > "Force mipmapping" or something in the 3Dfx Control
    > Panel? etc?
    >
    > Advice appreciated. travis@charbeneau.net
    >
    > the system is a 1998 P2/400/128MB/W98-SE/DX7 (not yet running
    the
    > V3 to TV but an NEC 17" CRT VGA)
    >
    > V3 info: from Device Manager, etc.:
    >
    > 3Dfx Interactive Inc. ver 4.12.01.1213 (C) 10-25-99
    > Hardware ver 001, BIOS ver 1.00.1, 3Dfx Tools ver 1.5.1.54
    >
    > (displayed in Device Manager/Properties)
    > 3DFX163.DRV
    > 3DFXV3.VXD (vmm32.vxd [vdd.vxd])
    >
    > (and located with these in \windows\system):
    >
    > 3DFXOGL.DLL 11-11-99
    > 3DFXSPL2.DLL 10-22-99
    > 3DFXSPL3.DLL 10-22-99
    > 3DFXCmn.DLL 10-22-99
    > 3DFXCpa.DLL 10-22-99
    > GLIDE2X.DLL 11-5-99
    > GLIDE3X.DLL 11-7-99
    >
    > "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Thanks for the kind words, folks. 'Got pointed to a V3 3500,
    > but
    > > I really don't need capture. 'Finally got a Voodoo3 3000,
    AGP,
    > 16
    > > meg, S-video out, plentiful at Amazon, not to be found at
    Ebay
    > > 6-26, although Ebay has *lots* of 3500s.
    > >
    > > I paid $30 at Amazon, includes shipping. Most are priced
    around
    > > $60 (!) but have the factory CD. I opted for the cheapo that
    > > didn't have drivers and went to DriversGuide.com for
    > > CAsVoodoo3Win9x-1.08.00-XP.exe, apparently good for all Win
    OS.
    > > I'll report back on results.

Nvidia Graphics