PNY 6800 Ultra

Bought one from PNY..... I think it was a big mistake! Lots of issues. PNY
technical staff doesn't have there %^&$ together yet. They are insisting
it's my system, not there board. Everything worked fine until I installed
the board. Tried to get them to send a replacement, but they said none
available now. Drivers are not even certified yet. What does that say? I
may just end up sending the whole mess back.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:32:33 -0400, "Charles Fuller"
<buzfuller@comcast.net> wrote:

>Bought one from PNY..... I think it was a big mistake! Lots of issues. PNY
>technical staff doesn't have there %^&$ together yet. They are insisting
>it's my system, not there board. Everything worked fine until I installed
>the board. Tried to get them to send a replacement, but they said none
>available now. Drivers are not even certified yet. What does that say? I
>may just end up sending the whole mess back.

( Seems as if you have not been following threads posted to
this newsgroup within the past year with regard to PNY's
product-reliability and warranty support. )

Hopefully you can get your money back.

However:-

3dMark is an intensive test exercising the GPU pretty thoroughly.

With that in mind :-

Did you upgrade your power-supply to one capable of emiitting
at least 20amps on the +12V rail ? And are you using 2 totally
independent 4-pin power-leads from the supply to the 6800Ultra
board, with nothing other than fans on either of the leads ?

With a 3-lead-output power-supply, you will probably need to use
1in/2out cable-splitters (~ $4 at Fry's) to generate enough physical
plugs from the 3rd lead to drive all of your other 4-pin-power
peripherals.

John Lewis

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:32:33 -0400, "Charles Fuller"
> <buzfuller@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Bought one from PNY..... I think it was a big mistake! Lots of issues.
PNY
> >technical staff doesn't have there %^&$ together yet. They are insisting
> >it's my system, not there board. Everything worked fine until I installed
> >the board. Tried to get them to send a replacement, but they said none
> >available now. Drivers are not even certified yet. What does that say? I
> >may just end up sending the whole mess back.
> >

> ( Seems as if you have not been following threads posted to
> this newsgroup within the past year with regard to PNY's
> product-reliability and warranty support. )
>
> Hopefully you can get your money back.
>

> However:-
>
> 3dMark is an intensive test exercising the GPU pretty thoroughly.
>
> With that in mind :-
>
> Did you upgrade your power-supply to one capable of emiitting
> at least 20amps on the +12V rail ? And are you using 2 totally
> independent 4-pin power-leads from the supply to the 6800Ultra
> board, with nothing other than fans on either of the leads ?
>
> With a 3-lead-output power-supply, you will probably need to use
> 1in/2out cable-splitters (~ $4 at Fry's) to generate enough physical
> plugs from the 3rd lead to drive all of your other 4-pin-power
> peripherals.
>
> John Lewis

Here is an srticle regarding 6800U power supply needs
http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/6800upower