Driving School: Alley Oop (PC)

Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?

Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?

thanks

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" wrote:

> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
>
> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?
>
> thanks

I've heard folks say they've done it first time, but I take literally
tens of tries before I get it right. Obviously once it flips you don't
want it to a) land on its roof or side and b) remain on its wheels
when you do get it to flip.

When you actually manage this you will be so relieved you will
immediately fail the next job :O))

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> wrote in message
> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
>
> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?
>
> thanks

Just pure luck as far as I could tell, took me about 20 attempts.

> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
>
> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?

You're supposed to be able to tilt the car in mid-air to get it to land on
its wheels, but I just trusted to luck. Once it's airborne, come off the
gas, and get ready for landing so that it's pointing in the right direction
if by some fluke it does land on its wheels.

> I've heard folks say they've done it first time, but I take literally
> tens of tries before I get it right. Obviously once it flips you don't
> want it to a) land on its roof or side and b) remain on its wheels
> when you do get it to flip.

I was so lucky to pass it on the fist time on the PS2. On the PC, it
took more tries (dunno how many, but I'd say less than 10).

AFAIK there's no trick to it. Just drive full speed ahead and hit the
ramp exactly right (2 wheels barely on it). Vary a bit where you hit the
ramp.

Bram
--
http://www.stack.nl/~brama/gtastats.html

Bram wrote:

> > I've heard folks say they've done it first time, but I take literally
> > tens of tries before I get it right. Obviously once it flips you don't
> > want it to a) land on its roof or side and b) remain on its wheels
> > when you do get it to flip.
> >
> I was so lucky to pass it on the fist time on the PS2. On the PC, it
> took more tries (dunno how many, but I'd say less than 10).
>
> AFAIK there's no trick to it. Just drive full speed ahead and hit the
> ramp exactly right (2 wheels barely on it). Vary a bit where you hit the
> ramp.
>
> Bram
> --
> http://www.stack.nl/~brama/gtastats.html

yep, it's definitely a certain point, but I am cack handed so I make
an arse out of these things :O)
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

> AFAIK there's no trick to it. Just drive full speed ahead and hit the
> ramp exactly right (2 wheels barely on it). Vary a bit where you hit the
> ramp.

That's odd - when I did it, the midline of the car was directly over the
edge of the ramp...

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:04:18 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" wrote:
>>
>> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
>>
>> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?
>>
>> thanks
>
>I've heard folks say they've done it first time, but I take literally
>tens of tries before I get it right. Obviously once it flips you don't
>want it to a) land on its roof or side and b) remain on its wheels
>when you do get it to flip.
>
>When you actually manage this you will be so relieved you will
>immediately fail the next job :O))

yeah dude I know what I have to do. I just want some help on how to do
it.

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:04:18 GMT, Paul Heslop
> <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" wrote:
> >>
> >> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
> >>
> >> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >
> >I've heard folks say they've done it first time, but I take literally
> >tens of tries before I get it right. Obviously once it flips you don't
> >want it to a) land on its roof or side and b) remain on its wheels
> >when you do get it to flip.
> >
> >When you actually manage this you will be so relieved you will
> >immediately fail the next job :O))
>
> yeah dude I know what I have to do. I just want some help on how to do
> it.

you're probably on the pc or xbox, so it'll be different to my
original. There's a kind of sweet spot on the ramp, where your car
just hits it right and over it goes.
--

"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" wrote:

> Thanks everyone, just did it!

Sere, what a breeze!

:O))

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Razor

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

> Thanks everyone, just did it!

Now try to do it again. Bet you can't. ;-)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 21:18:22 +0100, "Razor" <razor@kickcole.ie> wrote:

>"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> wrote in message
>> Thanks everyone, just did it!
>>

>Now try to do it again. Bet you can't. ;-)

Now why would I put myself though that again? LOL

In message <lbqsc1hrqj21q3kpmq1jl64ba5jognuv71@4ax.com>
"alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> wrote:

> Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
>
> Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?

Staying on two wheels helps ;o)

When the car tips up further it scratches the side on the ground, which
will effect your score. I found it easiest to turn slightly into the
ramp as this makes the car easier to control and sets you in a
straighter direction.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <lbqsc1hrqj21q3kpmq1jl64ba5jognuv71@4ax.com>
> "alksjdf@aslkdjf.com" <lkasdjf> wrote:
>
> > Whats the trick to landing this without any damge?
> >
> > Or is it just pure luck that you'll land it without damaging it?
>
> Staying on two wheels helps ;o)
>
> When the car tips up further it scratches the side on the ground, which
> will effect your score. I found it easiest to turn slightly into the
> ramp as this makes the car easier to control and sets you in a
> straighter direction.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I thought alley oop was the one where you had to flip it right over?
--

In message <42D1467D.974256A7@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> I thought alley oop was the one where you had to flip it right over?

You have full permission to slap me a wet fish sir.

I was thinking of 'Wheelie Weave', sorry. The only advice I've got for
'Alley Oop' is to make sure when you land it's on all four wheels. More
wheels = more control over the car.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42D1467D.974256A7@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I thought alley oop was the one where you had to flip it right over?
>
> You have full permission to slap me a wet fish sir.
>
> I was thinking of 'Wheelie Weave', sorry. The only advice I've got for
> 'Alley Oop' is to make sure when you land it's on all four wheels. More
> wheels = more control over the car.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

yup :O) now where's the wet fish?
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

This one was just dumb luck in my experience; what I find to be the
hardest are the parking and pitt maneuver tests. I've got bronze on
those and can't get any better.

Do you have to get all gold for 100%? If so I'm sure I will never
achieve this.

Phil Hibbs.

PhilHibbs said:
> This one was just dumb luck in my experience; what I find to be the
> hardest are the parking and pitt maneuver tests. I've got bronze on
> those and can't get any better.
>
> Do you have to get all gold for 100%? If so I'm sure I will never
> achieve this.

Nope.. I didn't bother with it. It's just bragging rights. Pretty damn
cool bragging rights at that, though :)

Only school I've finished 100% gold is bike school, but that wasn't hard.

Bram
--

Bram <dont@mailme.invalid> writes:

> Only school I've finished 100% gold is bike school, but that wasn't hard.

That wasn't hard, you say? How many times did you need to try "jump
and stoppie" to get gold? I got it, but it took dozens of tries and
the gold was 100% luck...

Anssi said:
> Bram <dont@mailme.invalid> writes:
>
> > Only school I've finished 100% gold is bike school, but that wasn't hard.
>
> That wasn't hard, you say? How many times did you need to try "jump
> and stoppie" to get gold? I got it, but it took dozens of tries and
> the gold was 100% luck...

How is that one hard? It's just a question of stopping at the right
moment. I don't recall having any problems with that, but I may have
gotten lucky on that one I guess.

Bram
--
http://www.stack.nl/~brama/gtastats.html

> > Only school I've finished 100% gold is bike school, but that wasn't
hard.

> That wasn't hard, you say? How many times did you need to try "jump
> and stoppie" to get gold? I got it, but it took dozens of tries and
> the gold was 100% luck...

Winning the lottery isn't "hard" (it's just as difficult to lose the
lottery) but it's all luck..

I found the Alley Oop and Jump/stoppie to be completely arbitrary (i.e. when
I got gold, I couldn't immediately follow up with a silver or better).

In message <1121081787.769566.289420@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>
"PhilHibbs" <snarks@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have to get all gold for 100%? If so I'm sure I will never
> achieve this.

Nope, only bronze. Getting all silvers or all gold unlocks extra
vehicles that you'll find in the driving school parking lot.

Bronze: Super GT
Silver: Bullitt
Gold: Hot Knife

Cheers,
Rob

In message <1121083780@dont.mailme.invalid>
Bram <dont@mailme.invalid> wrote:

> Only school I've finished 100% gold is bike school, but that wasn't hard.

I had real problems with 'Jump And Stoppie', but after all that
perseverance I do *love* that FCR900 :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob