Change drive letters

Hi, I have reistalled win XP home on a reformatted hard drive and It
has changed my drive letters as follows :My card reader are removable
disks C,D,E and F. My dvd rom is G and My dvd rewriter is H. and My
hard disk is i. I have tried to change my hard disk back to C in disk
management but it won't let me, is their any way I can change it in
windows, or does it really matter that the hard disk is i and C which
is more common?
Thanks in advance
Mel..
7 answers Last reply
More about change drive letters

    Mel,
    I did what Fireclown did. After I reformatted I found the drive letters
    were reversed for my DVD drive and my 2nd HDD so I turned the system off,
    unplugged the DVD drive, restarted, and Windows renamed the 2nd HDD "D" like
    I wanted.

    <melh100@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have reistalled win XP home on a reformatted hard drive and It
    > has changed my drive letters as follows :My card reader are removable
    > disks C,D,E and F. My dvd rom is G and My dvd rewriter is H. and My
    > hard disk is i. I have tried to change my hard disk back to C in disk
    > management but it won't let me, is their any way I can change it in
    > windows, or does it really matter that the hard disk is i and C which
    > is more common?
    > Thanks in advance
    > Mel..

    Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete reinstall.

    melh100@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi, I have reistalled win XP home on a reformatted hard drive and It
    > has changed my drive letters as follows :My card reader are removable
    > disks C,D,E and F. My dvd rom is G and My dvd rewriter is H. and My
    > hard disk is i. I have tried to change my hard disk back to C in disk
    > management but it won't let me, is their any way I can change it in
    > windows, or does it really matter that the hard disk is i and C which
    > is more common?
    > Thanks in advance
    > Mel..

    On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:27:35 -0500, "Edward J. Neth"
    <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete reinstall.
    >

    >melh100@hotmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi, I have reistalled win XP home on a reformatted hard drive and It
    >> has changed my drive letters as follows :My card reader are removable
    >> disks C,D,E and F. My dvd rom is G and My dvd rewriter is H. and My
    >> hard disk is i. I have tried to change my hard disk back to C in disk
    >> management but it won't let me, is their any way I can change it in
    >> windows, or does it really matter that the hard disk is i and C which
    >> is more common?
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Mel..

    wrong answer slick.

    How to change a drive letter
    To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a
    volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a member
    of the Administrators group.
    2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and
    Maintenance.
    3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and
    then click Disk Management in the left pane.
    4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the
    volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    5. Click Change.
    6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already
    selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click
    OK.
    7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
    The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you
    specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the
    appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

    "Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:27:35 -0500, "Edward J. Neth"
    > <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete
    >>reinstall.
    >>

    >>melh100@hotmail.com wrote:
    >>> Hi, I have reistalled win XP home on a reformatted hard drive and It
    >>> has changed my drive letters as follows :My card reader are removable
    >>> disks C,D,E and F. My dvd rom is G and My dvd rewriter is H. and My
    >>> hard disk is i. I have tried to change my hard disk back to C in disk
    >>> management but it won't let me, is their any way I can change it in
    >>> windows, or does it really matter that the hard disk is i and C which
    >>> is more common?
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Mel..
    >>>

    > wrong answer slick.
    >
    > How to change a drive letter
    > To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or on a
    > volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a member
    > of the Administrators group.
    > 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and
    > Maintenance.
    > 3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and
    > then click Disk Management in the left pane.
    > 4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the
    > volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click
    > Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    > 5. Click Change.
    > 6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already
    > selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click
    > OK.
    > 7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter change.
    > The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that you
    > specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the
    > appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

    A very well written and detailed post. However, if you were to try to change
    the letter of the drive that has the operating system on it in this manner,
    you will find that it won't work.

    --
    PWY

    Thanks all, I will try all suggestions, Thanks again Mel..

    PWY wrote:
    > "Perry" <perry@perrymarlin.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 10:27:35 -0500, "Edward J. Neth"
    > > <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete
    > >>reinstall.

    It
    My

    > > wrong answer slick.
    > >
    > > How to change a drive letter
    > > To change an existing drive letter on a drive, on a partition, or
    on a
    > > volume, follow these steps: 1. Log on as Administrator or as a
    member
    > > of the Administrators group.
    > > 2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and
    > > Maintenance.
    > > 3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management,
    and
    > > then click Disk Management in the left pane.
    > > 4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the
    > > volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click
    > > Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    > > 5. Click Change.
    > > 6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already
    > > selected, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then
    click
    > > OK.
    > > 7. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the drive letter
    change.
    > > The drive letter of the drive, the partition, or the volume that
    you
    > > specified is changed, and the new drive letter appears in the
    > > appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management
    tool.

    > A very well written and detailed post. However, if you were to try to
    change
    > the letter of the drive that has the operating system on it in this
    manner,
    > you will find that it won't work.
    >
    > --
    > PWY
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > Edward J. Nethwrote:
    Unfortunately, the only way to change the situation is a complete
    reinstall.

    Bullroar. I reformatted my 7200 X and removed XP Home replacing with
    XP Pro. My drives were reordered too. You do NOT need to reformat
    again, nor disconnect any drives. Re-read my post. I've done this on
    the three gateways I bought last month.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    When gateway ships these systems today, they ship with a C and D
    partition. The D partition is where the system recovery programs are
    located and the partion is a FAT32 instead of NTFS file system.

    When you reformatted, did you do anything to the D partition? If your
    computer booted at all, it should have booted from C, your hard drive.
    So I'm not sure that what you're reporting is entirely accurate.

    Functionally, when you go into Disk Managment, you should see Disk 0
    with 2 partitions on it. Right clicking on what should be your C
    drive should allow you to change it.

    However, you cannot change it to an existing drive letter. So you have
    to play a game. You rename other drives first, and put them at the
    lower end of the alphabet. For example, if your hard disk *really* is
    drive I, and your removables are C,D,E, and F, then rename them to
    L,M,N. and O. Then you can rename the other drives to C and D. You
    can then rename L,M,N, and O back to a lower letter.

Gateway Hard Drives Windows XP Computers