New hardrive affecting games

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

I am going to be buying a Western Digital Raptor 36 gig 10000 rpm 8meg cache
SATA hardrive for the sole purpose of having my PC games load faster and run
smoother. The only question i have is would it be better to install my OS on
this hardrive and have my games on my 120 gig IDE slower hardrive. Or would
it be better to have my OS on my 120 gig and use the WD fast hardrive ONLY
for games. Remember that I just want betetr quality in games. So im guessing
installing all the games on my new one is the best choice. Im looking for
opinions thnx :)

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:30:55 GMT, "Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com>
wrote:

>I am going to be buying a Western Digital Raptor 36 gig 10000 rpm 8meg cache
>SATA hardrive for the sole purpose of having my PC games load faster and run
>smoother. The only question i have is would it be better to install my OS on
>this hardrive and have my games on my 120 gig IDE slower hardrive. Or would
>it be better to have my OS on my 120 gig and use the WD fast hardrive ONLY
>for games. Remember that I just want betetr quality in games. So im guessing
>installing all the games on my new one is the best choice. Im looking for
>opinions thnx :)

Seems a little small. Most of the new graphical-intensive games have
3-4GBytes of install-space. Anyway, the benefit of the Raptor over a
fast 8Meg/7200 hard-disk is minimal from the point-of -view of loading
the game. Many stored run-times files are still compressed to save HD
space and thus CPU limited in decompression/load time. Better to spend
the money on CPU and/or system-memory up to 1 GByte. And turn off
all your background programs - virus-killers etc while playing a game.

John Lewis

lee

personally i think which scenerio you choose you wouldn't notice the
difference yourself.

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:30:55 GMT, "Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com> wrote:

>:>I am going to be buying a Western Digital Raptor 36 gig 10000 rpm 8meg cache
>:>SATA hardrive for the sole purpose of having my PC games load faster and run
>:>smoother. The only question i have is would it be better to install my OS on
>:>this hardrive and have my games on my 120 gig IDE slower hardrive. Or would
>:>it be better to have my OS on my 120 gig and use the WD fast hardrive ONLY
>:>for games. Remember that I just want betetr quality in games. So im guessing
>:>installing all the games on my new one is the best choice. Im looking for
>:>opinions thnx :)
>:>

-----
Lee.