Video card won't work

Hi all,

This is probably the wierdest thing I've seen. I came home from work and
the computer screen was black. I moved the mouse and nothing happens.
Rebooted it and the initial screens showed up, but then it just stayed black
the whole time. I thought something could be wrong with the card so I took
it out and replaced it with an older one that I have and got the same
results. After this, I took it out, and replaced it with a 3DFX Voodoo 3
3000 and I got video to appear on the screen.

I tried to pop the other two cards back into the motherboard and they just
stayed black. The monitor has a green light that stays on with it is
receiving some sort of signal. This light stays on the entire time.

I can tell that it is not hanging up during boot, because after it finishes
normally does when the screen is visible.

I've left to believe it could be a few possibilities:

1. Power supply going bad
2. Registry has bad entries
3. Video driver is corrupt
4. Motherboard is failing

The card that I had originally installed is a G4 5700 Ultra. I replaced it
with a G4 440 MX which yielded the same results. I am having this problem
in a Sony Vaio RX 770 2.2 Gig with 512 ram.

PS, I've tried the two Nvidia cards in my other PC and they start and work
just fine, so I'm more leaning towards option 3 listed above.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Speeker

"Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> This is probably the wierdest thing I've seen. I came home from work
> and the computer screen was black. I moved the mouse and nothing
> happens. Rebooted it and the initial screens showed up, but then it
> just stayed black the whole time. I thought something could be wrong
> with the card so I took it out and replaced it with an older one that
> I have and got the same results. After this, I took it out, and
> replaced it with a 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 and I got video to appear on
> the screen.
>
> I tried to pop the other two cards back into the motherboard and they
> just stayed black. The monitor has a green light that stays on with
> it is receiving some sort of signal. This light stays on the entire
> time.
>
> I can tell that it is not hanging up during boot, because after it
> finishes loading, I type in my password and the hard drive starts
> wizzing like it normally does when the screen is visible.
>
> I've left to believe it could be a few possibilities:
>
> 1. Power supply going bad
> 2. Registry has bad entries
> 3. Video driver is corrupt
> 4. Motherboard is failing
>
> The card that I had originally installed is a G4 5700 Ultra. I
> replaced it with a G4 440 MX which yielded the same results. I am
> having this problem in a Sony Vaio RX 770 2.2 Gig with 512 ram.
>
> PS, I've tried the two Nvidia cards in my other PC and they start and
> work just fine, so I'm more leaning towards option 3 listed above.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Speeker

try booting into safe mode (f8 on start up) and reinstalling your drivers

--
If the information posted above helps then let me know.
If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

---

"Kelly Cotter" <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
in message news:vXKDc.4724$Gi2.49599678@news-text.cableinet.net...
> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > This is probably the wierdest thing I've seen. I came home from work
> > and the computer screen was black. I moved the mouse and nothing
> > happens. Rebooted it and the initial screens showed up, but then it
> > just stayed black the whole time. I thought something could be wrong
> > with the card so I took it out and replaced it with an older one that
> > I have and got the same results. After this, I took it out, and
> > replaced it with a 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 and I got video to appear on
> > the screen.
> >
> > I tried to pop the other two cards back into the motherboard and they
> > just stayed black. The monitor has a green light that stays on with
> > it is receiving some sort of signal. This light stays on the entire
> > time.
> >
> > I can tell that it is not hanging up during boot, because after it
> > finishes loading, I type in my password and the hard drive starts
> > wizzing like it normally does when the screen is visible.
> >
> > I've left to believe it could be a few possibilities:
> >
> > 1. Power supply going bad
> > 2. Registry has bad entries
> > 3. Video driver is corrupt
> > 4. Motherboard is failing
> >
> > The card that I had originally installed is a G4 5700 Ultra. I
> > replaced it with a G4 440 MX which yielded the same results. I am
> > having this problem in a Sony Vaio RX 770 2.2 Gig with 512 ram.
> >
> > PS, I've tried the two Nvidia cards in my other PC and they start and
> > work just fine, so I'm more leaning towards option 3 listed above.
> >
> > Anybody got any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Speeker
>
> try booting into safe mode (f8 on start up) and reinstalling your drivers
>

> --
> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>

> ---

Ok, now here is the weird part about safe mode. My PC won't boot in safe
mode. After you select F8, it looks like it's going to boot, and then it
reboots. I've tried every option listed, safe mode, safe mode w/command
prompt, you name it, and after a few seconds, it rebooted.

Something else I forgot to mention, after re-installing the 5700 Ultra, it's
like Windows doesn't know how to use the Ethernet controller. Re-installing
drivers for the controller doesn't work until after you reboot 3 times or
so. This seems too problematic to be a virus.

> "Kelly Cotter"
> <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:vXKDc.4724$Gi2.49599678@news-text.cableinet.net...
>> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is probably the wierdest thing I've seen. I came home from
>>> work and the computer screen was black. I moved the mouse and
>>> nothing happens. Rebooted it and the initial screens showed up, but
>>> then it just stayed black the whole time. I thought something
>>> could be wrong with the card so I took it out and replaced it with
>>> an older one that I have and got the same results. After this, I
>>> took it out, and replaced it with a 3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 and I got
>>> video to appear on the screen.
>>>
>>> I tried to pop the other two cards back into the motherboard and
>>> they just stayed black. The monitor has a green light that stays
>>> on with it is receiving some sort of signal. This light stays on
>>> the entire time.
>>>
>>> I can tell that it is not hanging up during boot, because after it
>>> finishes loading, I type in my password and the hard drive starts
>>> wizzing like it normally does when the screen is visible.
>>>
>>> I've left to believe it could be a few possibilities:
>>>
>>> 1. Power supply going bad
>>> 2. Registry has bad entries
>>> 3. Video driver is corrupt
>>> 4. Motherboard is failing
>>>
>>> The card that I had originally installed is a G4 5700 Ultra. I
>>> replaced it with a G4 440 MX which yielded the same results. I am
>>> having this problem in a Sony Vaio RX 770 2.2 Gig with 512 ram.
>>>
>>> PS, I've tried the two Nvidia cards in my other PC and they start
>>> and work just fine, so I'm more leaning towards option 3 listed
>>> above.
>>>
>>> Anybody got any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Speeker
>>
>> try booting into safe mode (f8 on start up) and reinstalling your
>> drivers
>>

>> --
>> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
>> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>>

>> ---
>>

> Ok, now here is the weird part about safe mode. My PC won't boot in
> safe mode. After you select F8, it looks like it's going to boot,
> and then it reboots. I've tried every option listed, safe mode, safe
> mode w/command prompt, you name it, and after a few seconds, it
> rebooted.
>
> Something else I forgot to mention, after re-installing the 5700
> Ultra, it's like Windows doesn't know how to use the Ethernet
> controller. Re-installing drivers for the controller doesn't work
> until after you reboot 3 times or so. This seems too problematic to
> be a virus.

do you have a mobo with onboard video ? you could try using that to see if
it will boot
also remove all your cards and make sure all memory is well seated and try
booting

--

in message news:JlXDc.5104$N21.53901376@news-text.cableinet.net...
> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> > "Kelly Cotter"
> > <"deletethis"kelly.cotter@*deletethis*blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> > message news:vXKDc.4724$Gi2.49599678@news-text.cableinet.net...
> >> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message

> >> try booting into safe mode (f8 on start up) and reinstalling your
> >> drivers
> >>

> >> --
> >> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
> >> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
> >>

> >> ---
> >>

> > Ok, now here is the weird part about safe mode. My PC won't boot in
> > safe mode. After you select F8, it looks like it's going to boot,
> > and then it reboots. I've tried every option listed, safe mode, safe
> > mode w/command prompt, you name it, and after a few seconds, it
> > rebooted.
> >
> > Something else I forgot to mention, after re-installing the 5700
> > Ultra, it's like Windows doesn't know how to use the Ethernet
> > controller. Re-installing drivers for the controller doesn't work
> > until after you reboot 3 times or so. This seems too problematic to
> > be a virus.
>
> do you have a mobo with onboard video ? you could try using that to see if
> it will boot
> also remove all your cards and make sure all memory is well seated and try
> booting
>

> --
> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>

> ---

Yes it does have onboard video. I get the initial screens, but when getting
anywhere close to windows, I get the black screen. Now, what I didn't try
was removing all of the PCI cards and checking the memory. I'll try that
here in a little bit. If that doesn't get it, I guess I could always try ge
tting a different mobo. I'm thinking it could either be something going
wrong with the power supply, or the motherboard.

Thanks for the suggestion.

> Yes it does have onboard video. I get the initial screens, but when
getting
> anywhere close to windows, I get the black screen. Now, what I didn't try
> was removing all of the PCI cards and checking the memory. I'll try that
> here in a little bit. If that doesn't get it, I guess I could always try
ge
> tting a different mobo. I'm thinking it could either be something going
> wrong with the power supply, or the motherboard.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.

I believed more likely is your driver or setting in your OS must have gotten
mess-up.
You indicate your VooDoo card you put in work ok except for Nvidia card.
Use your VooDoo card to bootup in safe mode.Try removing all components
[card and built-in device on your mobo]. In safe mode, remove all driver
from Add/Remove Program. Restart in normal Windows mode and use your 5700
card to see if it can bootup normally without those driver. Do not install
the driver when Wizard detect new hardware. After Windows fully loaded,
reinstall the nvidia driver and see if it correct itself. Next is to add
your other components one at a time.

CapFusion,...

"CapFusion" <CapeFussion@hotmail.., com> wrote in message
> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes it does have onboard video. I get the initial screens, but when
>> getting anywhere close to windows, I get the black screen. Now,
>> what I didn't try was removing all of the PCI cards and checking the
>> memory. I'll try that here in a little bit. If that doesn't get
>> it, I guess I could always try ge tting a different mobo. I'm
>> thinking it could either be something going wrong with the power
>> supply, or the motherboard.
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion.
>>

> I believed more likely is your driver or setting in your OS must have
> gotten mess-up.
> You indicate your VooDoo card you put in work ok except for Nvidia
> card. Use your VooDoo card to bootup in safe mode.Try removing all
> components [card and built-in device on your mobo]. In safe mode,
> remove all driver from Add/Remove Program. Restart in normal Windows
> mode and use your 5700 card to see if it can bootup normally without
> those driver. Do not install the driver when Wizard detect new
> hardware. After Windows fully loaded, reinstall the nvidia driver and
> see if it correct itself. Next is to add your other components one at
> a time.
>
> CapFusion,...
if you do manage to boot it try this it removes all traces of nvidia drivers
from your system that an uninstall won't
good luck and if you get it sorted let us know what the prob was

--

in message news:dMhEc.6039$aJ5.65889527@news-text.cableinet.net...
> "CapFusion" <CapeFussion@hotmail.., com> wrote in message
> > "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Yes it does have onboard video. I get the initial screens, but when
> >> getting anywhere close to windows, I get the black screen. Now,
> >> what I didn't try was removing all of the PCI cards and checking the
> >> memory. I'll try that here in a little bit. If that doesn't get
> >> it, I guess I could always try ge tting a different mobo. I'm
> >> thinking it could either be something going wrong with the power
> >> supply, or the motherboard.
> >>
> >> Thanks for the suggestion.
> >>

> > I believed more likely is your driver or setting in your OS must have
> > gotten mess-up.
> > You indicate your VooDoo card you put in work ok except for Nvidia
> > card. Use your VooDoo card to bootup in safe mode.Try removing all
> > components [card and built-in device on your mobo]. In safe mode,
> > remove all driver from Add/Remove Program. Restart in normal Windows
> > mode and use your 5700 card to see if it can bootup normally without
> > those driver. Do not install the driver when Wizard detect new
> > hardware. After Windows fully loaded, reinstall the nvidia driver and
> > see if it correct itself. Next is to add your other components one at
> > a time.
> >
> > CapFusion,...
> http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=202
> if you do manage to boot it try this it removes all traces of nvidia
drivers
> from your system that an uninstall won't
> good luck and if you get it sorted let us know what the prob was
>

> --
> If the information posted above helps then let me know.
> If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.
>

> ---

Using my Voodoo card to boot in safe mode doesn't work. After I hit F8 and
choose Safe Mode, the screen flashes, the hard drive wizzes for a few
seconds, then it reboots. I tried that Detonator Destroyer program and when
it runs, there isn't anything listed in the selection box to remove. I tell
you, if computers weren't so fun to use, I would have tossed this thing by
now. But I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what is wrong with
it.

> Using my Voodoo card to boot in safe mode doesn't work. After I hit F8
and
> choose Safe Mode, the screen flashes, the hard drive wizzes for a few
> seconds, then it reboots. I tried that Detonator Destroyer program and
when
> it runs, there isn't anything listed in the selection box to remove. I
tell
> you, if computers weren't so fun to use, I would have tossed this thing by
> now. But I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what is wrong with
> it.
>
> Speeker

Ok.
I thought your say VooDoo can be use. Then use your Onboard VGA and boot to
safe mode. If you still can not with onboard VGA, then your last option to
get back to Windows is to blow your OS away. Start fresh OS. And reinstall
the driver for your nvidia card [5700] only. See if it will work. If causing
problem, try using your onboard VGA and see if it is stable. If no problem
with the Onboard VGA but do have problem with your 5700, I would assume your
5700 maybe the cause.
Check if your BIOS have this feature -
Allocate an interrupt for Video or Assign an IRQ for VGA = YES / Enable
Some MoBo will need this reserve for VGA card.

CapFusion,...

Hi

When you get the black screen on yer vidcard, can you try connecting yer
monitor to the mobo's built-in VGA port to see if you get a picture there?
Just try it and see.

If you get a picture through yer built in VGA, you need to go there ( to
display properties )and enable the AGP card as the primary monitor and then
disable yer built-in VGA through there as an enabled screen.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Sha

> "Speeker" <speeker69@hotmail.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Using my Voodoo card to boot in safe mode doesn't work. After I hit F8
> and
> > choose Safe Mode, the screen flashes, the hard drive wizzes for a few
> > seconds, then it reboots. I tried that Detonator Destroyer program and
> when
> > it runs, there isn't anything listed in the selection box to remove. I
> tell
> > you, if computers weren't so fun to use, I would have tossed this thing
by
> > now. But I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure out what is wrong
with
> > it.
> >
> > Speeker
> >

> Ok.
> I thought your say VooDoo can be use. Then use your Onboard VGA and boot
> safe mode. If you still can not with onboard VGA, then your last option to
> get back to Windows is to blow your OS away. Start fresh OS. And reinstall
> the driver for your nvidia card [5700] only. See if it will work. If
causing
> problem, try using your onboard VGA and see if it is stable. If no problem
> with the Onboard VGA but do have problem with your 5700, I would assume
your
> 5700 maybe the cause.
> Check if your BIOS have this feature -
> Allocate an interrupt for Video or Assign an IRQ for VGA = YES / Enable
> Some MoBo will need this reserve for VGA card.
>
> CapFusion,...

Well, it's been a while since I've been able to get back onto a computer.
I've tried most if not all of the suggestions in the previous post including
one of my own which was to remove the hard drive and put it as the boot disk
in another computer to see if that would reset something which would allow
it to go to safe mode. No luck. The good thing about manufactured PCs is
that they come with restore CDs. The problem is now, that I have to find
them :) . I'll try to start fresh with the OS as it seems as it is my only
choice at this point. But before I do, does it seem logical to export the
registry from one PC onto another? I figured as long as I was going to
ditch it, it would be something else to toy around with.

thanks for all of the help.

"Speeker" <a0004096@airmail.net> wrote in message

> Well, it's been a while since I've been able to get back onto a computer.
> I've tried most if not all of the suggestions in the previous post
including
> one of my own which was to remove the hard drive and put it as the boot
disk
> in another computer to see if that would reset something which would allow
> it to go to safe mode. No luck. The good thing about manufactured PCs is
> that they come with restore CDs. The problem is now, that I have to find
> them :) . I'll try to start fresh with the OS as it seems as it is my
only
> choice at this point. But before I do, does it seem logical to export the
> registry from one PC onto another? I figured as long as I was going to
> ditch it, it would be something else to toy around with.
>
> thanks for all of the help.

You do not need your old registry. Just install from fresh or scratch. If
you going to use your restore, it should put back the manufacturer original
image to your HD. Everything on that HD will probably get wipe-out. If you
have something or data to retrieve, you can try attach this HD to your
another PC [if available] and copy those data.

CapFusion,...

TRENDING THREADS