I understand PNY is a no-no, how about XFX?

I've never owned an XFX card, I've read a few posts here saying don't buy a
PNY and that's good enough for me.
I'm looking at an XFX card, how would you guys rate them in terms of
quality, reliability and tech support?

thanks for any advice!

+c0re- wrote:
> I've never owned an XFX card, I've read a few posts here saying don't buy a
> PNY and that's good enough for me.
> I'm looking at an XFX card, how would you guys rate them in terms of
> quality, reliability and tech support?
>
> thanks for any advice!

None of the card vendors do their own board level designs. Nvidia
gives them a 'design kit' which they use to produce boards.
So the PNY card is the same nvidia reference design as the others, so it's
just as good as any other card vendor, such as MSI, BGF, XFX.
The last time a vendor did their own unique design was when
Orchid Technologies did the schematic capture of the R3D in 1996.

Jeff B

Jeff B

+c0re- wrote:
> I've never owned an XFX card, I've read a few posts here saying don't buy a
> PNY and that's good enough for me.
> I'm looking at an XFX card, how would you guys rate them in terms of
> quality, reliability and tech support?
>
> thanks for any advice!

?

PNY is a good manufacturer, they closely follow the reference design.
Just like near every other FX/GF6 manufacturer.

+c0re- wrote:
> I've never owned an XFX card, I've read a few posts here saying don't
> buy a PNY and that's good enough for me.
> I'm looking at an XFX card, how would you guys rate them in terms of
> quality, reliability and tech support?
>
> thanks for any advice!

It's PNY's "guarantee" that given them a rep for the most part. AFAIK, the
PNY cards don't suffer from many more problems than most others. I've had a
PNY FX5900, oh, around 6 months or so and it's been just fine. Of course,
it's "lifetime" warranty has expired, so if it dies it's upgrade time again.
:)

Just know for sure that understand what happens if your card goes boom and
that you can deal with the terms of it--for any card and anything else, for
that matter.

Good luck.

--
chainbreaker

If you need to email, then chainbreaker (naturally) at comcast dot
net--that's "net" not "com"--should do it.

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> It's PNY's "guarantee" that given them a rep for the most part. AFAIK,
> the PNY cards don't suffer from many more problems than most others.
> I've had a PNY FX5900, oh, around 6 months or so and it's been just fine.
> Of course, it's "lifetime" warranty has expired, so if it dies it's
> upgrade time again. :)

A lifetime warranty can expire? - tell us more..sounds very interesting!

> A lifetime warranty can expire? - tell us more..sounds very interesting!

The warranty is for the life of the card's production. Nvidia is now
producing the 6800 line, so any FX series cards are out of production,
therefore they aren't under warranty.

"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>> A lifetime warranty can expire? - tell us more..sounds very interesting!
>
> The warranty is for the life of the card's production. Nvidia is now
> producing the 6800 line, so any FX series cards are out of production,
> therefore they aren't under warranty.

Indeed, a very interesting and misleading interpretation of a "lifetime"
warranty!
Is this general policy in the branch or are there just particular players in
the field trying to fool people like this?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:21:45 +0100, "+c0re-" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I've never owned an XFX card, I've read a few posts here saying don't buy a
>PNY and that's good enough for me.

On the theme of "advice is worth what you pay for it", I've been running
a PNY-brand Ti 4400 for a couple of years. (Dang, that long!? Need
upgrade! Where credit card?!) No problems with it at all. Worked out of
the box. Uses standard Nvidia drivers. Works fine under Linux. Etc.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:47:49 GMT, "Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
>>> A lifetime warranty can expire? - tell us more..sounds very interesting!
>>
>> The warranty is for the life of the card's production. Nvidia is now
>> producing the 6800 line, so any FX series cards are out of production,
>> therefore they aren't under warranty.
>
>Indeed, a very interesting and misleading interpretation of a "lifetime"
>warranty!
>Is this general policy in the branch or are there just particular players in
>the field trying to fool people like this?

PNY

QED............

John Lewis

"Steven K" <nospam@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Indeed, a very interesting and misleading interpretation of a "lifetime"
> warranty!
> Is this general policy in the branch or are there just particular players
in
> the field trying to fool people like this?

This is what you called Marketing.
Lifetime Warranty sound good but you still need to read the detail / fine
print.
Lifetime waranty refer to
the card?
the purchaser?
the time it in the original PC?
production of the model.
human no longer exist on this planet.
when the sun turn black.
original government no longer occuppy it own country but by other govern
nation.

CapFusion,...

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:34:33 -0400, "Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com>
wrote:

>> A lifetime warranty can expire? - tell us more..sounds very interesting!
>
>The warranty is for the life of the card's production. Nvidia is now
>producing the 6800 line, so any FX series cards are out of production,
>therefore they aren't under warranty.

Yeah... righT! Thats why you can still buy GF2-MX, GF4-440s easily
at any store, including Wal Mart.
The 5950, 5700, 5600s will phase out quickly. But expect the 5200,
5400, 5500s to continue to give us years of more enjoyment....

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.

"CapFusion" <CapeFussion@hotmail.., com> wrote in message

> nVidia have nothing to do with manufacturer warranty [IIRC]. This is
> individual manufacturer policy that is only apply to that manufacturer.

yes, I was not clear on this point....

> Paying the cost of certain card is really up to the consumer decision
> [expensive or not]. There are alot of marketing tools / ways to entice
> unware consumer to purchase thing. Using "Lifetime Warranty" is one of
> those tool for consumer to buy thing but consumer need to read and
> understand before-hand of what it truly meant.

yes, however, it's shoddy business practise first degree!

> The same go with this famous phrase - Australia "Down Under".
> From a small kid point of view without geographic knowledge or location,
> "Down Under" truly meant down under or below / underneath of something.

In "Down Under" is much more meaning than someone, not living in Down Under,
might imaging!
It's not just the geographical location...if u are living here u will know
what I mean.
Similar to the movie "Crocodile Dundee" - u simply can not realise the
message in this movie until u know the Australian way of life.

Steve

I have installed 3 x XFX Ti4200 cards in 3 x systems and they have all been
excellent - very good value....

Guy