nVidia hardware overlay problem with FX 5600 Go & GeForce4..

Hi,

I'm a software developer. Some of our beta testers have problems with
the overlay on their laptop in dual monitor configuration. I check all
error conditions & my coding is very safe. I think there is a bug in
their drivers and wanted to know if anyone would have informations
about it.
I try to create the overlay on the second monitor - fullscreen. The
overlay is double-buffered.

Here are their reports:

1- computer:
Aspire 1700 - ACER 1705SMi nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
DirectX 9.0 new release
nv4_disp.dll: 6.14.10.4401

resolutions ??

problem: overlay is always black !
=> we tried on several computers, win 2000/XP without any problem.
As I create a debugging text file I know there is no error code
returned.

2- computer

Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
running Windows XP Pro
NVIDA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) 64Mb
DirectX 9.0 new release
nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.4487

resolutions: Primary - 1280x800
Secondary - 640x480

problem: Overlay causes fullscreen display to also display on the
primary monitor

=> this should not be possible as I can create only one overlay and
I don't create any other surface !!!! maybe we could have the same
problem with Windows Media Player or BSPlayer... ??
5 answers Last reply
More about nvidia hardware overlay problem 5600 geforce4

    "Matthieu" <mabeghin@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a software developer. Some of our beta testers have problems with
    > the overlay on their laptop in dual monitor configuration. I check all
    > error conditions & my coding is very safe. I think there is a bug in
    > their drivers and wanted to know if anyone would have informations
    > about it.
    > I try to create the overlay on the second monitor - fullscreen. The
    > overlay is double-buffered.
    >
    > Here are their reports:
    >
    > 1- computer:
    > Aspire 1700 - ACER 1705SMi nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > nv4_disp.dll: 6.14.10.4401
    >
    > resolutions ??
    >
    > problem: overlay is always black !
    > => we tried on several computers, win 2000/XP without any problem.
    > As I create a debugging text file I know there is no error code
    > returned.
    >
    > 2- computer
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
    > running Windows XP Pro
    > NVIDA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) 64Mb
    > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.4487
    >
    > resolutions: Primary - 1280x800
    > Secondary - 640x480
    >
    > problem: Overlay causes fullscreen display to also display on the
    > primary monitor
    >
    > => this should not be possible as I can create only one overlay and
    > I don't create any other surface !!!! maybe we could have the same
    > problem with Windows Media Player or BSPlayer... ??

    use these drivers and see if it's still the same

    If the information posted above helps then let me know.
    If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

    ---

    nVidia's nView display modes and the video mirroring affect the way stuff
    works.

    You can't control it programmatically that well, as the user settings decide
    what the driver does with the overlay taking up the whole second screen or
    is not mirrored on one of the screens.

    Cheers
    Sha

    "Matthieu" <mabeghin@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm a software developer. Some of our beta testers have problems with
    > the overlay on their laptop in dual monitor configuration. I check all
    > error conditions & my coding is very safe. I think there is a bug in
    > their drivers and wanted to know if anyone would have informations
    > about it.
    > I try to create the overlay on the second monitor - fullscreen. The
    > overlay is double-buffered.
    >
    > Here are their reports:
    >
    > 1- computer:
    > Aspire 1700 - ACER 1705SMi nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > nv4_disp.dll: 6.14.10.4401
    >
    > resolutions ??
    >
    > problem: overlay is always black !
    > => we tried on several computers, win 2000/XP without any problem.
    > As I create a debugging text file I know there is no error code
    > returned.
    >
    > 2- computer
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
    > running Windows XP Pro
    > NVIDA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) 64Mb
    > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.4487
    >
    > resolutions: Primary - 1280x800
    > Secondary - 640x480
    >
    > problem: Overlay causes fullscreen display to also display on the
    > primary monitor
    >
    > => this should not be possible as I can create only one overlay and
    > I don't create any other surface !!!! maybe we could have the same
    > problem with Windows Media Player or BSPlayer... ??

    can the overlay be mirrored even if the two monitors display two different
    desktops ??
    Thanks
    Matthieu

    "Sharanga Dayananda" <shaREMOVE@ntlworldNoSpaM.com> wrote in message
    > nVidia's nView display modes and the video mirroring affect the way stuff
    > works.
    >
    > You can't control it programmatically that well, as the user settings
    decide
    > what the driver does with the overlay taking up the whole second screen
    or
    > is not mirrored on one of the screens.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Sha
    >
    > "Matthieu" <mabeghin@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm a software developer. Some of our beta testers have problems with
    > > the overlay on their laptop in dual monitor configuration. I check all
    > > error conditions & my coding is very safe. I think there is a bug in
    > > their drivers and wanted to know if anyone would have informations
    > > about it.
    > > I try to create the overlay on the second monitor - fullscreen. The
    > > overlay is double-buffered.
    > >
    > > Here are their reports:
    > >
    > > 1- computer:
    > > Aspire 1700 - ACER 1705SMi nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > > nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > > nv4_disp.dll: 6.14.10.4401
    > >
    > > resolutions ??
    > >
    > > problem: overlay is always black !
    > > => we tried on several computers, win 2000/XP without any problem.
    > > As I create a debugging text file I know there is no error code
    > > returned.
    > >
    > > 2- computer
    > >
    > > Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
    > > running Windows XP Pro
    > > NVIDA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) 64Mb
    > > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > > nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.4487
    > >
    > > resolutions: Primary - 1280x800
    > > Secondary - 640x480
    > >
    > > problem: Overlay causes fullscreen display to also display on the
    > > primary monitor
    > >
    > > => this should not be possible as I can create only one overlay and
    > > I don't create any other surface !!!! maybe we could have the same
    > > problem with Windows Media Player or BSPlayer... ??

    Yes I think so. Will give it a go and let you know.

    > can the overlay be mirrored even if the two monitors display two different
    > desktops ??
    > Thanks
    > Matthieu
    >
    > "Sharanga Dayananda" <shaREMOVE@ntlworldNoSpaM.com> wrote in message
    > > nVidia's nView display modes and the video mirroring affect the way
    stuff
    > > works.
    > >
    > > You can't control it programmatically that well, as the user settings
    > decide
    > > what the driver does with the overlay taking up the whole second screen
    > or
    > > is not mirrored on one of the screens.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > Sha
    > >
    > > "Matthieu" <mabeghin@yahoo.fr> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I'm a software developer. Some of our beta testers have problems with
    > > > the overlay on their laptop in dual monitor configuration. I check all
    > > > error conditions & my coding is very safe. I think there is a bug in
    > > > their drivers and wanted to know if anyone would have informations
    > > > about it.
    > > > I try to create the overlay on the second monitor - fullscreen. The
    > > > overlay is double-buffered.
    > > >
    > > > Here are their reports:
    > > >
    > > > 1- computer:
    > > > Aspire 1700 - ACER 1705SMi nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > > > nVIDIA GeForce FX Go5600, 128MB
    > > > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > > > nv4_disp.dll: 6.14.10.4401
    > > >
    > > > resolutions ??
    > > >
    > > > problem: overlay is always black !
    > > > => we tried on several computers, win 2000/XP without any problem.
    > > > As I create a debugging text file I know there is no error code
    > > > returned.
    > > >
    > > > 2- computer
    > > >
    > > > Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop
    > > > running Windows XP Pro
    > > > NVIDA GeForce4 4200 Go (Dell Mobile) 64Mb
    > > > DirectX 9.0 new release
    > > > nv4_disp.dll 6.14.10.4487
    > > >
    > > > resolutions: Primary - 1280x800
    > > > Secondary - 640x480
    > > >
    > > > problem: Overlay causes fullscreen display to also display on the
    > > > primary monitor
    > > >
    > > > => this should not be possible as I can create only one overlay and
    > > > I don't create any other surface !!!! maybe we could have the same
    > > > problem with Windows Media Player or BSPlayer... ??

    What do you mean by two different desktops? I don't play around much with
    nView, though I do use the TV out in clone mode.

    If you mean something like horizontal span, the video mirroring is weird. It
    shows up on the primary display ( 2048x768 ) as part of the picture and the
    whole thing is there on the secondary display ( TV out ).

Nvidia Graphics