Geforce 4 4200 windows 2000 problems

I'm having big problems getting this Geforce 4 4200 to work in my
windows 2000 machine. It's a 64MB AGP card. I had to reinstall just
to get windows to boot without crashing to a screen full of garbage.
Now the screen will only be updated when I move the mouse (IBM USB).
If I let the mouse sit still for about 5 seconds, the screen freezes.
When I move the mouse the screen stars moving again, or if it's been a
little longer it loses sync for about 3 seconds and then starts
working again. A ps/2 mouse is unusable unless I disable cursor and
bitmap acceleration in display properties (mouse pointer only updates
about once every 2 seconds). When I run DXdiag the it switches
resolutions, but the Direct3D cube doesn't appear until I move the
mouse. Then, it only moves at about 1 fame/s unless I continuously
move the mouse. It looks fine when moving the mouse. I haven't had
any crashes since reinstalling windows. I've tried drivers 56.72,
40.72 and what ever windows update had.

The system is an athlon 1200 on a Aopen AK73 Pro, Windows 2000 SP4,
promise ultra66 PCI card for the hard drives, Adaptec AHA-2940UW for
the scanner and on board audio. I previously had an AGP 3dfx card in
this machine with no problems.

The video card is on IRQ 11 and shares with the SCSI, LAN, ultra 66,
audio, and USB.

Andy Cuffe
baltimora@psu.edu

Which video driver version are you using with that card? You should be
using 45.23 with that older card for stability.

--
DaveW

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:32:10 -0400, Andy Cuffe <baltimora@psu.edu>
wrote:

>I'm having big problems getting this Geforce 4 4200 to work in my
>windows 2000 machine. It's a 64MB AGP card. I had to reinstall just
>to get windows to boot without crashing to a screen full of garbage.
>Now the screen will only be updated when I move the mouse (IBM USB).
>If I let the mouse sit still for about 5 seconds, the screen freezes.
>When I move the mouse the screen stars moving again, or if it's been a
>little longer it loses sync for about 3 seconds and then starts
>working again. A ps/2 mouse is unusable unless I disable cursor and
>bitmap acceleration in display properties (mouse pointer only updates
>about once every 2 seconds). When I run DXdiag the it switches
>resolutions, but the Direct3D cube doesn't appear until I move the
>mouse. Then, it only moves at about 1 fame/s unless I continuously
>move the mouse. It looks fine when moving the mouse. I haven't had
>any crashes since reinstalling windows. I've tried drivers 56.72,
>40.72 and what ever windows update had.
>
>The system is an athlon 1200 on a Aopen AK73 Pro, Windows 2000 SP4,
>promise ultra66 PCI card for the hard drives, Adaptec AHA-2940UW for
>the scanner and on board audio. I previously had an AGP 3dfx card in
>this machine with no problems.
>
>The video card is on IRQ 11 and shares with the SCSI, LAN, ultra 66,
>audio, and USB.
>

>Andy Cuffe
>baltimora@psu.edu

What PSU are you using? I had a cheapo 250W PSU on an Athlon
XP 1900+, & GF3 Ti200, and when I changed to a GF4 Ti4400, it would
only boot to a screen that looked like a TV test pattern. I bought a
cheapo 550W PSU, and now all is fine.

Beowulf

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Andy Cuffe wrote:
> I'm having big problems getting this Geforce 4 4200 to work in my
> windows 2000 machine. It's a 64MB AGP card. I had to reinstall just
> to get windows to boot without crashing to a screen full of garbage.
> Now the screen will only be updated when I move the mouse (IBM USB).
> If I let the mouse sit still for about 5 seconds, the screen freezes.
> When I move the mouse the screen stars moving again, or if it's been a
> little longer it loses sync for about 3 seconds and then starts
> working again. A ps/2 mouse is unusable unless I disable cursor and
> bitmap acceleration in display properties (mouse pointer only updates
> about once every 2 seconds). When I run DXdiag the it switches
> resolutions, but the Direct3D cube doesn't appear until I move the
> mouse. Then, it only moves at about 1 fame/s unless I continuously
> move the mouse. It looks fine when moving the mouse. I haven't had
> any crashes since reinstalling windows. I've tried drivers 56.72,
> 40.72 and what ever windows update had.
>
> The system is an athlon 1200 on a Aopen AK73 Pro, Windows 2000 SP4,
> promise ultra66 PCI card for the hard drives, Adaptec AHA-2940UW for
> the scanner and on board audio. I previously had an AGP 3dfx card in
> this machine with no problems.
>
> The video card is on IRQ 11 and shares with the SCSI, LAN, ultra 66,
> audio, and USB.
>

> Andy Cuffe
> baltimora@psu.edu

The driver version used is not important (other posts may disagree, but
I type from experience). The following are critical:

1. Power supply >300W, >400W if you have a lot of devices on the ATA
and SCSI

2. On Aopen mobo (or any other): do NOT share the video card's IRQ if at
all possible. On mine, I only share USB and VIA AC'97 audio (AK72). Too
many devices will cause conflicts in servicing the interrupts.

3. always install: via 4in1 then dx then nvidia driver

You may want to read up on how interrupts work. Having 5 high data rate
devices share the IRQ with the video card is the kiss of death. What
you are observing is the interrupt handler being interrupted to service
another device before its done with the first. This was typical of
shared interrupts in the early windows days. The CPU was not fast enough.

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:51:13 -0600, Beowulf <edkchem@netscape.net>
wrote:

>Andy Cuffe wrote:
>> I'm having big problems getting this Geforce 4 4200 to work in my
>> windows 2000 machine. It's a 64MB AGP card. I had to reinstall just
>> to get windows to boot without crashing to a screen full of garbage.
>> Now the screen will only be updated when I move the mouse (IBM USB).
>> If I let the mouse sit still for about 5 seconds, the screen freezes.
>> When I move the mouse the screen stars moving again, or if it's been a
>> little longer it loses sync for about 3 seconds and then starts
>> working again. A ps/2 mouse is unusable unless I disable cursor and
>> bitmap acceleration in display properties (mouse pointer only updates
>> about once every 2 seconds). When I run DXdiag the it switches
>> resolutions, but the Direct3D cube doesn't appear until I move the
>> mouse. Then, it only moves at about 1 fame/s unless I continuously
>> move the mouse. It looks fine when moving the mouse. I haven't had
>> any crashes since reinstalling windows. I've tried drivers 56.72,
>> 40.72 and what ever windows update had.
>>
>> The system is an athlon 1200 on a Aopen AK73 Pro, Windows 2000 SP4,
>> promise ultra66 PCI card for the hard drives, Adaptec AHA-2940UW for
>> the scanner and on board audio. I previously had an AGP 3dfx card in
>> this machine with no problems.
>>
>> The video card is on IRQ 11 and shares with the SCSI, LAN, ultra 66,
>> audio, and USB.
>>

>> Andy Cuffe
>> baltimora@psu.edu
>
>The driver version used is not important (other posts may disagree, but
>I type from experience). The following are critical:
>
>1. Power supply >300W, >400W if you have a lot of devices on the ATA
>and SCSI
>
>2. On Aopen mobo (or any other): do NOT share the video card's IRQ if at
>all possible. On mine, I only share USB and VIA AC'97 audio (AK72). Too
>many devices will cause conflicts in servicing the interrupts.
>
>3. always install: via 4in1 then dx then nvidia driver
>
>You may want to read up on how interrupts work. Having 5 high data rate
> devices share the IRQ with the video card is the kiss of death. What
>you are observing is the interrupt handler being interrupted to service
>another device before its done with the first. This was typical of
>shared interrupts in the early windows days. The CPU was not fast enough.

My power supply is fine. I have the 4in1 installed. I would love to
do something about the IRQs, but windows won't let me change any of
the IRQs. I suppose I could try disabling everything else on IRQ11 to
see if the video starts working. The Voodoo 3 shares IRQ11 with no
trouble at all. I should probably try the card in another machine and
with XP to see if it's a hardware, or software problem. Right now I
don't have any more time to put into making what was supposed to be a
quick, almost free upgrade work.
Andy Cuffe
baltimora@psu.edu

> On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:51:13 -0600, Beowulf <edkchem@netscape.net>
>
> My power supply is fine. I have the 4in1 installed. I would love to
> do something about the IRQs, but windows won't let me change any of
> the IRQs. I suppose I could try disabling everything else on IRQ11 to
> see if the video starts working. The Voodoo 3 shares IRQ11 with no
> trouble at all. I should probably try the card in another machine and
> with XP to see if it's a hardware, or software problem. Right now I
> don't have any more time to put into making what was supposed to be a
> quick, almost free upgrade work.
> Andy Cuffe
> baltimora@psu.edu

Also trying to clear your CMOS to see if it will pick up a different
resources.
Moving component(s) to another slot may change it resources also.

CapFusion,...