Device Incompatibilty with FX5200 and WinTV

System has Win98SE (full retail version, not OEM), FX5200 128-bit, and
WinTV-Go PCI with SoftPVR. If I install the TV Out (WDM) drivers for nVidia
then install the drivers for WinTV, then there's a conflict in the device
manager between the nVidia TV out and the WinTV Video Device. If I uninstall
the nVidia TV Out drivers then all is well. So this means I won't have the
functionality of the video card's s-video out. :(

Is there a way to get this to work together?

Also, I have the RCA-type jacks on my 19" TV for video in/out and audio
in/out. But the s-video out connector on the computer's video card looks a
little like a PS/2 connector. Would there be an adapter to put this through
to the TV? Or am I getting the wrong idea what the s-video out on the video
card is for? If so, someone want to enlighten me pleas on the TV/out (what
I'm calling s-video out) on the nVidia card is used for?

Thanks...

"NN" <ohno-dontSPAMME-no!> wrote in message
> System has Win98SE (full retail version, not OEM), FX5200 128-bit, and
> WinTV-Go PCI with SoftPVR. If I install the TV Out (WDM) drivers for
> nVidia then install the drivers for WinTV, then there's a conflict in the
> device manager between the nVidia TV out and the WinTV Video Device. If I
> uninstall the nVidia TV Out drivers then all is well. So this means I
> won't have the functionality of the video card's s-video out. :(
>
> Is there a way to get this to work together?

What sort is the conflict - give more details
Maybe a good idea to check WinTV manufacturer's website/ support about this
problem

> Also, I have the RCA-type jacks on my 19" TV for video in/out and audio
> in/out. But the s-video out connector on the computer's video card looks a
> little like a PS/2 connector. Would there be an adapter to put this
> through to the TV? Or am I getting the wrong idea what the s-video out on
> the video card is for? If so, someone want to enlighten me pleas on the
> TV/out (what I'm calling s-video out) on the nVidia card is used for?

Indeed, there are RCA to s-video adaptors on the market - try a TV shop or
similar! Take the video card's cable with u since the shop might check
compatibility
for u.

Steven K wrote:
> What sort is the conflict - give more details
> Maybe a good idea to check WinTV manufacturer's website/ support
> about this problem

Hauppage has the worst "support" ever. They don't have much on their site
about anything and I emailed them about another issue in another machine
with the same type of card back in March I think it was, and they never
replied yet. :(

The conflict is, when I install the nVidia WDM drivers for it's TV/Out, then
I install the video drivers for the WinTV card, in the Device Manager (right
clicking My Computer, Properties) The WinTV shows a yellow circle and an
exclaimation point for it's video driver and the nVidia shows a red X
through an icon next to it's driver (meaning disabled). So the two don't
seem to be working together. If I remove the nVidia TV/out device and
drivers, then all is well again (just no TV/Out I'd assume).

> Indeed, there are RCA to s-video adaptors on the market - try a TV
> shop or similar! Take the video card's cable with u since the shop
> might check compatibility for u.

That's cool. Thanks for the info.

> Steven K wrote:
>
> The conflict is, when I install the nVidia WDM drivers for it's TV/Out,
> then I install the video drivers for the WinTV card, in the Device
> Manager (right clicking My Computer, Properties) The WinTV shows a yellow
> circle and an exclaimation point for it's video driver and the nVidia
> shows a red X through an icon next to it's driver (meaning disabled). So
> the two don't seem to be working together. If I remove the nVidia TV/out
> device and drivers, then all is well again (just no TV/Out I'd assume).

What does the device-status of both cards say? - look in the properties for
the device status info!

Steven K wrote:
>> The conflict is, when I install the nVidia WDM drivers for it's
>> TV/Out, then I install the video drivers for the WinTV card, in the
>> Device Manager (right clicking My Computer, Properties) The WinTV
>> shows a yellow circle and an exclaimation point for it's video
>> driver and the nVidia shows a red X through an icon next to it's
>> driver (meaning disabled). So the two don't seem to be working
>> together. If I remove the nVidia TV/out device and drivers, then all
>> is well again (just no TV/Out I'd assume).
>>

> What does the device-status of both cards say? - look in the
> properties for the device status info!

I don't have the nVidia TV/Out drivers installed anymore so I can't go look.
I'm doing this from my own memory of what happened. Whatever the device
status would say for the yellow circle with exclaimation point or a red X
normally would. I think the former is that there is a conflict but device
active and the latter (red X) meaning that the device was disabled in the
hardware profile, if I remember right. Basically, what Windows normally does
in that situation.

> I don't have the nVidia TV/Out drivers installed anymore so I can't go
> look. I'm doing this from my own memory of what happened. Whatever the
> device status would say for the yellow circle with exclaimation point or
> a red X normally would. I think the former is that there is a conflict
> but device active and the latter (red X) meaning that the device was
> disabled in the hardware profile, if I remember right. Basically, what
> Windows normally does in that situation.

The device status usually tells u WHY (details of conflict) these actions
have been taken! Small but significant difference..

Steve

"NN" <ohno-dontSPAMME-no!> wrote in message

> The conflict is, when I install the nVidia WDM drivers for it's TV/Out,
then
> I install the video drivers for the WinTV card, in the Device Manager
(right
> clicking My Computer, Properties) The WinTV shows a yellow circle and an
> exclaimation point for it's video driver and the nVidia shows a red X
> through an icon next to it's driver (meaning disabled). So the two don't
> seem to be working together. If I remove the nVidia TV/out device and
> drivers, then all is well again (just no TV/Out I'd assume).

The nVidia WDM drivers are not for TV out, they are for use with VIVO cards
(Video In, Video Out) to handle the video input capturing. If you don't have
a VIVO card then you don't need (and shouldn't install) the WDM drivers. The
normal nVidia drivers handle the TV out capabilities. It's possible that the
WDM drivers are conflicting with the WinTV drivers (as they both do a
similar job), and the red X on the nVidia driver is likely there because you
don't have a VIVO card.

Currently I have 2 PCs with nVidia cards - my main PC has only TV out, so no
WDM drivers installed, and drives a monitor and a TV (using the TV out
socket) simultaneously. My other PC has a VIVO card with the WDM drivers
installed so that the main PC can be hooked up to it and the TV out signal
recorded direct to disk on the other PC. I don't have a WinTV card so I
can't tell you how to resolve your issue, but I can say for sure that the TV
out capability is not dependent upon the WDM drivers.

Dan

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "NN" <ohno-dontSPAMME-no!> wrote in message
>
> The nVidia WDM drivers are not for TV out, they are for use with VIVO
cards
> (Video In, Video Out) to handle the video input capturing. If you don't
have
> a VIVO card then you don't need (and shouldn't install) the WDM drivers.
The
> normal nVidia drivers handle the TV out capabilities. It's possible that
the
> WDM drivers are conflicting with the WinTV drivers (as they both do a
> similar job), and the red X on the nVidia driver is likely there because
you
> don't have a VIVO card.
>
> Currently I have 2 PCs with nVidia cards - my main PC has only TV out, so
no
> WDM drivers installed, and drives a monitor and a TV (using the TV out
> socket) simultaneously. My other PC has a VIVO card with the WDM drivers
> installed so that the main PC can be hooked up to it and the TV out signal
> recorded direct to disk on the other PC. I don't have a WinTV card so I
> can't tell you how to resolve your issue, but I can say for sure that the
TV
> out capability is not dependent upon the WDM drivers.

That correct from Spack.
WDM driver is for those card that have ViVo. There should be a chip either
chrontel or phillip (I think it SAA7114H chip?) next to the GPU / HS/F on
the card to have ViVo. If that card is ViVo card, you will need WDM driver
from the CD DISC that came with the card. Otherwise remove the WDM and
simply use WinTV as capturing.

CapFusion,...

Spack wrote:
> The nVidia WDM drivers are not for TV out, they are for use with VIVO
> cards (Video In, Video Out) to handle the video input capturing. If
> you don't have a VIVO card then you don't need (and shouldn't
> install) the WDM drivers. The normal nVidia drivers handle the TV out
> capabilities.

Thanks for the info. I'm very glad of that. :) I had uninstalled the nVidia
WDM drivers when the conflict occurred and so my WinTV is working fine.

> I don't have a WinTV card so I can't tell you how to resolve your
> issue, but I can say for sure that the TV out capability is not
> dependent upon the WDM drivers.

Sounds like if I want to use the S-Video Out from the nVidia card all I'd
need is an adaptor to go from that connector to the RCA audio/video jacks on
my TV. I'd probably need a splitter or something like that, I assume.

CapFusion wrote:
> WDM driver is for those card that have ViVo. There should be a chip
> either chrontel or phillip (I think it SAA7114H chip?) next to the
> GPU / HS/F on the card to have ViVo. If that card is ViVo card, you
> will need WDM driver from the CD DISC that came with the card.
> Otherwise remove the WDM and simply use WinTV as capturing.

I don't think mine's a ViVo. I use WinTV for watching TV, capturing, etc.
What I had hoped was to use S/Video out from the video card to my 19" TV set
so I could play DVDs on the computer (the only DVD player I have - it's
actually a DVD writer) and watch them on a 19" TV instead of a 15" LCD
monitor. :)

> Spack wrote:
> > The nVidia WDM drivers are not for TV out, they are for use with VIVO
> > cards (Video In, Video Out) to handle the video input capturing. If
> > you don't have a VIVO card then you don't need (and shouldn't
> > install) the WDM drivers. The normal nVidia drivers handle the TV out
> > capabilities.
>
> Thanks for the info. I'm very glad of that. :) I had uninstalled the
nVidia
> WDM drivers when the conflict occurred and so my WinTV is working fine.
>
> > I don't have a WinTV card so I can't tell you how to resolve your
> > issue, but I can say for sure that the TV out capability is not
> > dependent upon the WDM drivers.
>
> Sounds like if I want to use the S-Video Out from the nVidia card all I'd
> need is an adaptor to go from that connector to the RCA audio/video jacks
on
> my TV. I'd probably need a splitter or something like that, I assume.

What you need is an SVideo to composite converter cable. Didn't your nVidia
card come with one? Both of the Leadtek cards I own came with the cables
needed to do this. The that doesn't have VIVO has a cable with an SVideo DIN
plug on one end and a yellow composite RCA output on the other - this just
then needs an RCA to RCA cable to hook up to an RCA composite input socket
on the TV. The audio comes from the soundcard output - use a 3.5mm to 2xRCA
cable and plug into the red and white audio inputs on the TV. Alternatively,
just listen to the audio through the PC speakers.

Dan

Spack wrote:
> What you need is an SVideo to composite converter cable. Didn't your
> nVidia card come with one?

The only cable it had for the SVideo was a cable with PS/2 style plugs
(male) on each end. My 19" TV has Two RCA type jacks: one for Audio and one
for Video.

> with an SVideo DIN plug on one end and a yellow composite RCA output
> on the other - this just then needs an RCA to RCA cable to hook up to
> an RCA composite input socket on the TV. The audio comes from the
> soundcard output - use a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable and plug into the red
> and white audio inputs on the TV. Alternatively, just listen to the
> audio through the PC speakers.

Thanks on the info. I guess I'll have to find a converter cable since what I
got with my card doesn't have the right connector for my TV set.

> Spack wrote:
> > What you need is an SVideo to composite converter cable. Didn't your
> > nVidia card come with one?
>
> The only cable it had for the SVideo was a cable with PS/2 style plugs
> (male) on each end. My 19" TV has Two RCA type jacks: one for Audio and
one
> for Video.

That sounds like it's a straight SVideo to SVideo cable (those are SVideo
DIN plugs). Is your TV only a mono set? Normally you would have 3 RCA
sockets - yellow for video, red+white for stereo audio.

> > with an SVideo DIN plug on one end and a yellow composite RCA output
> > on the other - this just then needs an RCA to RCA cable to hook up to
> > an RCA composite input socket on the TV. The audio comes from the
> > soundcard output - use a 3.5mm to 2xRCA cable and plug into the red
> > and white audio inputs on the TV. Alternatively, just listen to the
> > audio through the PC speakers.
>
> Thanks on the info. I guess I'll have to find a converter cable since what
> got with my card doesn't have the right connector for my TV set.

You need to be careful what you buy. I seem to remember seeing something
about the pinouts in the SVideo socket on Geforce cards not being the same
as standard SVideo, however it might have only applied to the VIVO cards (as
they mix SVideo in and out into a single DIN plug).

Dan

Spack wrote:
> That sounds like it's a straight SVideo to SVideo cable (those are
> SVideo DIN plugs). Is your TV only a mono set? Normally you would
> have 3 RCA sockets - yellow for video, red+white for stereo audio.

The cable that came with the card looks like it has PS/2 style plugs, that's
the best I could explain it. My TV is a mono set, yes. Has Video In, Video
Out, Audio In, and Audio Out. That's on the back. The front has video and
audio in for another line (like for game systems).

> You need to be careful what you buy. I seem to remember seeing
> something about the pinouts in the SVideo socket on Geforce cards not
> being the same as standard SVideo, however it might have only applied
> to the VIVO cards (as they mix SVideo in and out into a single DIN
> plug).

That'll be a challenge. I am very sure I don't have a ViVo card though.

> I don't think mine's a ViVo. I use WinTV for watching TV, capturing, etc.
> What I had hoped was to use S/Video out from the video card to my 19" TV
set
> so I could play DVDs on the computer (the only DVD player I have - it's
> actually a DVD writer) and watch them on a 19" TV instead of a 15" LCD
> monitor. :)

No ViVo, then no need to install WDM driver.

CapFusion,...

> "NN" <ohno-dontSPAMME-no!> wrote in message
>
> That sounds like it's a straight SVideo to SVideo cable (those are SVideo
> DIN plugs). Is your TV only a mono set? Normally you would have 3 RCA
> sockets - yellow for video, red+white for stereo audio.
>
> You need to be careful what you buy. I seem to remember seeing something
> about the pinouts in the SVideo socket on Geforce cards not being the same
> as standard SVideo, however it might have only applied to the VIVO cards
(as
> they mix SVideo in and out into a single DIN plug).

For ViVo card, there would be a 9pin port and also have a 4 head cable
spliter. The 4pin kind that look like a PS/2 is S-Video connection. You can
connect S-Video direct from the source. But if you prefer to have RC
(Composite), you can try path.
1. Obtain a S-Video to RCA cable.
You probably get that cable from RadioShack or Electronic store.
2. Connect S-Video to another appliance like a VHS Console or HiFi
entertainment center then output that RCA to your TV or the target.

CapFusion,...

CapFusion wrote:
> 1. Obtain a S-Video to RCA cable.
> You probably get that cable from RadioShack or Electronic store.

I think that's the route I will go. Thanks for the idea. :)